“One to avoid” 2 of 5 bubbles

Empire Hotel Llandudno
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
“One to avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I booked into the hotel with my new wife after spending the last 2 nights in a 5* hotel in Cardiff . What a dissapointed .
The room is very small , which surprised me as I booked a larger than average room . The pool was nice but why had the hotel decided that guests wanted to view people in the pool, ( people actually got out of the pool as the restaurant tables starting filling ). The jacuzzi temperature was cold and unexpected . My wide and I dined in the restaurant , the soup was burnt (we informed the staff and recieved an apology) the vegetables were over cooked and the desert , mine being banana and peach crumble was dry , hard and not very nice . We attempted coffee in the lounge (no coffee) . Tomorrow we go to a top hotel in Lancaster .

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Stevehaley
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Brisbane Region, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Been to this hotel several times over the years and have to say it just gets better. You tend to experience a bygone age where service, cleanliness and civilization are this hotel's prime concern. Treat yourself to a massage - the best I have ever had. I know it's only Wales but you always return feeling rejuvenated.

• Stayed March 2012
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I would love to give this hotel a higher rating but I think taking everything into account 3 star is about right.

I will start with the good.
The main restaurant is very nice with excellent service from some very friendly staff. The food is absolutely fabulous, probably the best hotel food I have ever eaten. It has to be said that in some areas the restaurant is getting ready for refurbishment.

The leisure centre was excellent with a well equipped gym, small swimming pool, steam room and sauna.

The bad.
The room was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in, so small it makes me wonder why they try to cram extra chairs and a table in it. The paint was peeling off the window sill and the walls had large cracks in them. The chandelier rattled every time someone walked in the bedroom above which was annoying to say the least. The rooms have air conditioning which would be welcome in summer. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was modern but the shower was very poor with hardly any water flow.

This was a standard room and was not the cheapest room in the hotel.

The reception area and lounge. The lounge needed cleaning and looked pretty scruffy with paint peeling off a glass panelled roof, yes glass painted! The reception area was pretty untidy and not very welcoming as a first impression.

On a point of waste, we counted over 20 bulbs in the bedroom most in a ridiculously oversized chandelier that dwarfed the room. The lights can be left on all day as they were by the cleaning staff on the Saturday, no card operated system to turn off the power when out of the room. The hotel has single glazed windows.

This hotel is let down by a lack of maintenance in some areas and would easily get 4 stars if it was well maintained.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelmanuk37
Lancashire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Because of all the excellent reviews of this hotel, I was expecting something truly sumptuous and so was surprised by the shabbiness of the reception area. We arrived a little early and a large party was checking out, so we were kindly offered drinks in the lounge while we waited. The reception area was cluttered with suitcases, the reception desk looked cluttered and disorganised (unappealing looking kitchen type cupboards at the back), the large vase on the front table was covered in dust. A bizarre "display" cabinet with tins of gillette aftershave etc and the lounge looked in need of a vacuum cleaner. Although to be fair this was probably caused by the large party just leaving and when we came down later it had been vacuumed and looked less cluttered without the suitcases.

We booked a standard room and I think it was possibly the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. It had a very impressive chandalier which overwhelmed the room somewhat. The paintwork and furniture looked very tired and battered - however the room was spottlessly clean, with lovely crisp white bed linen and a very comfortable bed. There were a few nice touches - a fridge, a free safe and a decanter (with sherry? - we didn't drink it though)

The bathroom looked new and was of a lovely, modern design. However, it looked like there had been water damage to the ceiling which hadn't been remedied and the flow from the shower wasn't good.

I was surprised that like most hotels these days there was no system to ensure the lights were automatically switched off when we left the room. The cleaner had left the lights on when we returned on Saturday afternoon - I know I'm being a bit picky now, but I hate to see such waste. I suspect the electricity bill for this hotel is much higher than it need be and is surely not a sustainable way to organise things?

Although I would say I generally had a relaxing stay, I was awoke at around 4am on one of the nights by the tinkling of the chandalier when someone in the room above was walking around.

We used the pool and spa bath on the Friday which was very nice with its lovely subdued lighting. The pool was just the right temperature.

We were rather amused by the old-fashioned, sensual artwork in the hotel. In every room there are paintings of half naked ladies, some with saphic undertones. Perhaps they could do with some Herculean pics to balance them out ;~) My mother-in-law tells me the same pics were in situ when she stayed at the hotel more than 30 years ago.

The food at this hotel was excellent!!! There are so very few places these days where you can get a breakfast cooked to order served on a table with proper table linen. My only slight gripe at breakfast was the tinned rather than fresh fruit :(

There was lots of choice for the evening meal which was fresh, excellently prepared and delicious. We stayed at the hotel on a half-board basis, but noticed that to just eat in the restaurant cost £21.95 for five courses - very, very good value we thought for the quality of the food. Judging by the older age of the average clientele I was a bit worried that the restuarant might be a bit stuffy and overly formal, however there was a very relaxed ambience without any loss of style.

It was great to stay in a hotel that was a bit different, rather than some standardised, homogenous recipe, big chain hotel and although my review has whinged a bit about a few issues, I can see why so many others have raved about it. I think I would be happy to stay there again, but I would upgrade to a better room

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Nantwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Went to The Empire with my partner to celebrate our anniversary - what a treat. Rooms were clean and spacious, nothing too much trouble for staff, breakfast perfect. We were able to use the spa even after booking out - looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple