“Not so Grand Hotel!”

Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not so Grand Hotel!”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for a friends wedding. From the outside the hotel is very 'Grand' a stunning building and the entrance lobby and lounges are beautiful(although on closer inspection needed a good clean!) Once we got to our room the disapointment started. The furniture was old and falling apart, the bathroom carpet(enough said) was not fitted properly and the shower over the bath was nothing more than a trickle and as for the shower curtain!! We felt like we were spending the weekend at grannys house rather than a 5 Star hotel. As the weather was pretty grim we decided to take advantage of the hotels spa facilities. We really wished we hadn't bothered, the spa area itself was dirty, the floor was covered in what looked like dirt from the grout in the tiles and hairs everywhere!! The swimming pool was ok, but cast your eyes upward and you can see ceiling tiles hanging down and all the ventilation grates were filthy. Not as filty though as the hot tub which had a discusting brown layer of foam on it and the tiles on the side of the tub near the filter were also covered in a grey coating of grime. The changing rooms were not much better, changing room doors that didn't lock and locker doors hanging off and the fitted furniture looked like it was really for scrapping years ago. All in all a really disappointing experience and not what you would expect from a 5 Star hotel, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Sairj77
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed at the Grand over the Jubilee weekend. It really is the best hotel in Eastbourne and it is run the way a great hotel should be, ie something most of the "chain hotels" really do not understand now!

Staff are professional and friendly from the porters who park the cars to the wonderful staff in the dining room.

We took breakfast and dinner in the main dining room for our four day stay. Breakfast offers a good choice and if you prefer not to use the hot buffet you can order a cooked breakfast which is freshly prepared in the kitchen for you. Dinner in the main restaurant is high quality English cooking with probably the best sorbets I have ever tasted.

The rooms are not your typical text book 5 star hotel - some of the furniture has been with the hotel for quite some time, however this is part of the charm! Everything is kept immaculately clean and the bathrooms are spotless with their Moulton Brown toiletries.

We would definitely go back. Quality like this has a price, but it is worth it!

Room Tip: A sea-view room is obviously wonderful - Debussy had one when he finalised "La Mer"!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JADLondon
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Beautiful building, stunning exterior, well maintained entrance lobby. Efficient and dedicated footman, conciege and reception staff - A+!!
Sadly, the promising start soon faded like the interior of the hotel.
Our room, 143, is clean and the bed sumptuous and at first glance, acceptable. Upon settling in and exploring the amenities within our room, we found the bathroom exceptionally tiny with a wobbly floor, creaky and leaking taps together with a weak shower. It was impossible to have two people in the bathroom at the same time!
We arrived @ 7.30pm to the bar and had wanted to dine but were told that the earliest availability was 9.45pm! Unbelievable! We were given the bar menus that were as battered, frayed and uninteresting as the furniture! We went out for dinner as we felt bagels for dinner is sufficient!
Having arrived early for breakfast was a good move as when we finished at 9.30am, a queue had formed outside the Garden Restaurant of diners waiting to be seated .... Not a sighted expected of a 5 star establishment. Just as well there were seats in the lobby as some guests were elderly and disabled!
The breakfast was excellent, staff attentive and efficient but, yet again the menus were worn and needed renewing.
Overall, excellent staff and cleaniness but the rest of our experience was highly disappointing.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SomeiB
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I cant believe after our first visit, I would have to write such a damming report on this Hotel. After long thought I think its only fair to share this encounter with fellow travellers. We had a great stay last year and we came together as a family to decide on a venue for a family birthday party. I in my error suggested the Grand without hesitation to the agreement of the rest of the family. So I went ahead to make the arrangements, this is where it all went badly wrong. I called the Hotel only to be met by someone giggling in mid conversation I presume ? I gave theyoung lady details of my enquiry, to be told im not sure someone is in the office ? and could I CALL BACK ON MONDAY MORNING ?? Well I was not inpressesd in the slightest with that response, even if it was a Friday afternoon !!!!!!! and made it clear i needed to speak to someone, even if they could call me back. To cut a long story short i was transferd to I beleive the housekeeping area, as she answerd housekeeping ? she was helpful and said she would transfer me back to the correct person. NOW THIS IS THE FUNNY SIDE............NOT Guess who answerd the phone ? Yes you guessed right the cocktail bar. I hung up and called back and asked to be put through directly to the people who deal with private group bookings and the young man put me through eventualy to the right person who then told me the office was closed and she said i could call back monday morning or they could call me, as she was leaving the office ? I gave up and hung up. So i have made my booking elsewhere. I WILL NEVER USE THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN and will advise and recommend everyone to stay far away from this Hotel. What a shame

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Roberts_holiday
eastbourne
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We use The Grand quite frequently for lunch.The fare is delicious,the choice is good,and the service is very friendly.Following a recent one-night visit we have no hesitation in giving the highest rating in accommodation,comfort,the competence and attitude of the staff,and the general ambience.The breakfasts are especially noteworthy! A truly 5-star experience.

a

Room Tip: We recommend a full or side sea view room - preferably on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple