“Good enough”

Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed four nights deluxe sea view room. The room was clean spacious and well appointed.The breakfast buffet was adequate but nothing special. The same could be said about the overall restaurant menu.
The location is good being away from market area which can be reached easily and cheaply buy the local bus.
The big question is why go to Penang. The beaches are polluted, most of the restaurants look like a health risk and the traffic is horrendous.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang

Reviewed 8 March 2012

located right on the beach, room rate is very reasonable and inclusive of buffet breakfast and free wifi, which is a good deal.
Spacious room with balcony and nice scenery. Room is clean. Their rooms do not have carpet, which is good for me as I was kind of worried about the mites or dust trap inside the carpet, no matter how clean they appear to be.
Food quality is nice. only drawback is during our stay the lift was under maintenance, so all of us need to wait quite long.
The Saturday night barbecue buffet dinner is quite a good deal too :)

Room Tip: get a higher level, seaview room/suite.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The hotel is a little isolated with no real shops/bars/restaurants (save for 1 decent Indian) around. It is however right on the nice beach.

Straight off our reception was really bad.

First we struggled up the very steep ramp with 3 cases watched by the man and woman on the porter desk. When we got to the lobby he had the nerve to ask us "can I help you?". My glare said it all and "No way... the hard part is done"

Then reception; No "Hello, nice to se you, how are you"...nothing. Just a "Check in?" with no hint of a smile. As we were at the check in desk this was very perceptive of the young (new) girl. What was bad was the near to 20 (Twenty!) minutes to check in. She hadn't a clue as she tried to use the systems, and no idea how to process my credit card. She then held it up in full view and hearing of other guests at the check in to say "Your card is declined"! I was horrified. Her male colleague took over and it was processed, as always, within seconds. Then another female colleage took over our booking and it was completed in a couple of minutes. That's why 2 stars for service.

The hotel looks well from the outside and the reception is spacious and tasty. But why on earth would you put a pool table in the bar and by reception. Do you really think someone having drinks want to hear the constant crack of pool balls and the noise from the players. Dump the table ASAP.

Slow lifts (2) but then our room was fine. No issues here and a decent view for a glimpse of the sea. The room was bright, spacious and clean. We had no problems with our bathroom. Sleep quality was fair as there was noisy machinery under our room. The room thermostat was broken and so it was either hot (no air con) or too cool (air con).

The pool is good and in good condition but there are not enough loungers. The pool bar which was doing little business was expensive and had a happy hour from 17.00 to 18.00. Not enough to entice guests.

Breakfast was pretty good with a very wide choice. We ate outside and service was very good.

Aopart from check in the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harleyclarkey
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Please do not get cheated by the professional photographs that were taken years ago. The actual condition of the hotel is of total dissappointment. Not only that the whole hotel smells kind of funny, the room is in very poor condition. We were offered the first room that is stink with broken shower rose, bathroom with fungus, ceiling with stain and door that can't be locked properly. It took us more than half an hour just to get another room with the almost the same condition. In the end we gave in because that's the only room left (According to the hotel personnel)

Well, unless you can tolerate with all the above, this hotel somehow do offer a good deal for breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Not until they refurbish the whole hotel!! Totally hazardous to asthma patient!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brosche
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Sorry, Is nothing to do with the Hotel Accomadation as I share my experience with your company HRM.
I just finished My SPM exam came to your Hotel for receptionist position and I do understand my dress up is neat as I'm going to a 4star hotel for an interview.
After fill up my resume and handover to Mr. Lawrence Human Resource Mananger (HRM) he look at me and informed to me that my look shows that I'm not suitable to work.
Is your company trained like this Human Resource Manager? what a rude men he is? Is such a pity he himself don't know how to respect other people and how he going trained the staff to respect the guest?...I'm just sharing my view of point. I'm not that pretty like Miss Malaysia but there is way to approach people who came to your place for an interview. Respect people and people will give respect you. Thank you.

Room Tip: HRM need to HR training!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1.9 km away
Hotel Sentral Seaview, Penang
Hotel Sentral Seaview, Penang
#1 of 2 in Tanjung Tokong

Been to Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK