All reviews awesome stay good size spent two nights one night stay an easy walk fish market short walk comfort breakfast kettle tv
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel in Bergen, Norway, and it is well placed just a short walk from the busy and often vibrant waterside area.
This is undoubtedly its main selling point as the hotel itself is fairly ordinary and small. There is only a very limited seating area near reception and the dining room is just off this.
There is, surprisingly, no bar or lounge area and is all very cramped.
The staff, as always seemed to be the case in Norway, were helpful and friendly enough.
Our room was surprisingly big and included a settee and chairs. Very welcome and there was also a good sized bathroom with a good shower. The beds were comfortable.
The TV had a surprisingly poor selection of channels, with no BBC or Sky News, unlike other hotels we visited during the trip, and the best we could find was Russia Today! A poor do, to be honest, especially as some of the marked channels showed as "unavailable".
The hotel gets extra marks for being the only one we stayed at all week to provide a kettle in the room. This was much appreciated and reception staff were happy to provide top-up milk.
The breakfast had a reasonably good selection of food and the smoked salmon at the hotel was the best I had all week. There were no slices of lemon but a very scary woman in the kitchen, resembling the James Bond villain who kicks people in the shins with her stiletto-tipped boots, agreed to bring some.
The dinner meals we had were set menu and were perfectly adequate if uninspiring. It was a pretty slick and well organised operation, however, and the staff were efficient and polite.
All in all, a good place to stay for convenience and ease of location but don't expect haute cuisine or lavish comfort.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

As part of Norway in nutshell we were supposed to be in best western about 10 minutes bus ride from fish market. Fortunately it was closed and we were moved to the center one which is so much better to use as base for walking around. The breakfast consisted of fresh fruits, cheese, cereals and tasty eggs and potatoes.

Staff was friendly. Wifi a bit spotty. When asking for ice they get a glassful from kitchen. Only meal served is breakfast. The heavy curtains make the room dark. Given location price and service a good value. One drawback the extra bed was pullout coach that was uncomfortable.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Must be the tiniest rooms in Norway, but they are clean, bed very comfy. Staff are helpful. The hotel is so close to the fish market and all the other attractions in Bergen. Plus the breakfast is one of the best i have had

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Nice hotel in a nice location near the heart of Bergen, Norway. The staff was friendly, breakfast in the morning was good (buffet style breakfast included) and the price was not bad for the room. The room is a bit small but adequate. The only thing I didn't like so much was that there was not a good English TV news service like CNN or BBC at the hotel. The only English TV station was Russian TV which even many Russians don't trust. Not sure why the hotel does not provide a reputable English news service. I know this might not seem like a big deal to many but I like to keep up on the news.

We had to walk a few blocks over cobblestones pulling our luggage to get to the airport bus so allow about 15 minutes to get to the nearest stop. The airport bus is a good value and the bus driver was very friendly. You can buy your bus pass at the local tourist office. You will need to seek other food locations for eating at lunch and dinner. These are mostly a few block away.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Skyloran
Reviewed 5 October 2015

This hotel is in a great part of downtown Bergen and a quick walk from the train station - no taxi necessary. I found the hotel clean and the rooms a normal size relative to other hotels I stayed in while in Scandinavia.

Despite the positives above I found this hotel extremely disappointing and almost gave this hotel two stars. I found the staff uninterested and at times almost rude. I don't feel that circling an area on a large map and then turning back to your computer constitutes an answer when a guest asks where to find something. I understand that you get asked these questions ad nauseam but you picked the job, not me. The front desk staff couldn't be bothered to smile or say hello at any point during my three days. They were cold. While this isn't a huge deal, it's off-putting.

Finally, the shower in our room drove me up the wall. It was impossible to close the door fully and water, without fail, went under the door and flooded the bathroom. I had to use at least three towels to mop up the mess and found myself dreading taking a shower.

I know my two concerns above don't seem substantial but trust me when I say that I'm an easy person to please. This is the lowest rating I've ever given a hotel and I don't take it lightly. I stayed in 2 other Best Westerns in Scandinavia and this one fell extremely short. If I found a similarly priced hotel, for say $25/night more, I think I'd stay there.

Date of stay: September 2015