“Good place, but snug room”

Magic Hotel Korskirken
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

This is one of a number of 'Magic' hotels in Bergen. It looks to be fairly new or newly refurbished and in general I found it to be good as a base for the city. The location is fantastic, about a ten minute walk from the Light Rail station made it easy for traveling to and from the airport, and the central location also made it excellent for exploring the city of Bergen both day and night.
I had an 'atrium' room which essentially means that the window looks out on to an atrium rather than the street. It was a compact room which didn't have much space aside from the bed and shower room - not an issue for a single traveller for a couple of nights, however if I had been there with luggage for a whole week it would have been a squeeze. There was a little bit of hanging space behind the mirror - but again that space was tight.
The shower room was actually quite spacious but without a door or curtain on the shower it did mean you have to be very careful to manage not to soak the entire place each time you shower (though the under floor heating does dry the place out quite well).
I had breakfast both mornings I was there and I would definitely say it was well better than average with a good selection of cold items and a few hot items too.
Staff were very friendly.
A tip - the entrance is actually through the front door of the adjacent supermarket, go in and turn right and you will see the doorway (this is also open when the supermarket is closed).

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
MonicaSMagichotels, Daglig leder at Magic Hotel Korskirken, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Jennifer H,

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. As our guests experience is very important to us, I have been reading your review carefully in order to be able to make sure we can find improvements in our rooms and facilities. We have some nice and spacious rooms as well, make sure to book a standard room or superior room next time.

I am also very pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast, and that you found our
staff friendly. We will make sure to mark the entrance better and we are working to improve the visibility.

I wish you welcome back to Magic Hotel Korskirken.

Magic Hotel Korskirken
Monica E. Selvik

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Even for the price, the room was small, with no closet and a queen-sized bed crammed against a wall (no bedside table on either side - especially difficult when one of us uses a CPAP). Breakfast was great and the bathroom was very nice, and location can't be beat - but I won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017

There were only a few reviews about this hotel, but we booked it.
Location: It is in the centre of the city, best location in the whole city!
We had to go to the REMA1000 and turn right. There was the reception.
The breakfast was excellent, the room was fancy and also very QUIET. We were at the 4th floor, but it was a "root terrace" in the top. Get a room from 401-414!
We got 0 noise from the city! There are a constantly working fan in the room, but it isn't annoying. We had a perfect sleep experience!
There are coat hangers, be sure to find them. :)
Bathroom was weird because everytime you had a shower it would be messy, water everywhere. Staff were very helpful.
The price was very low for this EXCELLENT QUALITY! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a room from 401-414, for QUIET nights!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FromHungary
MonicaSMagichotels, Daglig leder at Magic Hotel Korskirken, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear FromHungary,

Thank you very much for your lovely review from our hotel. We are very excited that you enjoyed our perfect and central location, the city, our quiet rooms on the 4th floor and our excellent breakfast! We will make sure to look into the shower issue!

Thank you again and on the behalf of my staff and myself, I wish you a warm welcome back to Magic Hotels!

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

As others have said, the location is excellent and the bed is quite comfortable. The breakfast was first class and the receptionists could not have been more helpful. On the minus side, the room was too small, offered no storage or closet, and there was no phone to contact the front desk. Yes, the shower setup is weird to Americans, but we saw the same setup in Paris. What would keep me from returning to this hotel is the noise--not from the street or other rooms, but from the disco in back. Exhausted by our trip, we were awakened from a sound sleep at midnight by pounding techno dance music.
When I went down to the desk to see what might be done, the lady explained that it was a club and the music usually lasted until 2:30 am (it actually lasted until 3:15). She offered me some earplugs which did help, but as a 60-something traveler, I can't recommend the hotel to people needing a good night's sleep, though I do understand that the noise was not the hotel's fault or responsibility.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Fred O,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are always happy to hear from our guests, and it is very useful for us to read your comments.
We have many room types on our hotel, and if you would like to have a bigger and more spacious room, I would recommend to book either superior rooms or junior suites. Our standard double rooms have a quite ordinary (Norwegian) size, but we also have some smaller double rooms.
We offer restaurant and night club in the same building, and also several other bars and pubs in the immediate neighbourhood. We can offer some very quiet rooms towards the atrium and also on the 4th floor for those who sleep light. But as you mention - the hotel is located in a perfect area down town Bergen that also means in the middle of the cultural night life Bergen is known for.
The night club closes at 3 o'clock - so there should be no noise after 02:30. We will make sure to bring this to the attention to the person in charge.
Thank you again for reviewing us and next time, please make sure to request a quiet room on the 4th floor or atrium.

Yours sincerely,
Magic Hotel Bergen

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Breakfast is really basic.

The room, I had a suite, was too fancy to be practical or cosy.

The staff was very inexperienced and was overly insistent on knowing my room number before even starting a conversation. They didn’t help with the luggage and seemed to not trust that I was a hotel guest when I went for breakfast.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear jonasbarsten,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you did not feel welcome at our hotel, this is of course not the way we want our guests to experience us. I will make sure that we will train our staff better as we of course wish to be excellent at service. After we opened the hotel in mid July, we have improved our breakfast and our routines, and we will continue working on improvement in both areas, You are welcome to contact me directly if you wish to share more of your experience in our hotel.
We hope to be able to wish you welcome back to Bergen and Magic Hotels in the future.

Magic Hotel Bergen