“A day in Oslo”
Review of Oslo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Wakefield, United Kingdom
129 helpful votes
“A day in Oslo”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We were in Oslo for about 7 hours on a cruise in July and thought it was a wonderful city. The Town Hall is magnificent and I would urge anyone to visit. There are guided tours in English at 10a.m, 12 noon and 2 p.m. - geared to the times for the cruise ships arrival and departures I would guess. We also managed a quick visit to the National gallery which deserved a more leisurely pace. Then we scooted by ferry over to the Viking Museum - fabulous. (If you are retired you get in half price btw.) For transport you have to be over 67 though!

We are already planning to go back on a city break, as there were places we would have loved to see but didn't have time on this taster trip.

12 Thank Blippo
Lincoln, UK
4 helpful votes
“Good place to spend your money!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We went to oslo for few days. It's a very nice city and very expensive too. (Pint of bear cost about £6, lunch about £7, tea out £20).On the main street there is an indian restaurant called Japury or smth like that which is absolutely wonderfull.
Keep distance from the railway station in the evernings as all begars are there and atmosphere is not the best. They are called proffesional begars by the locals, so I would not waist my money on them..
Wearth going to Vigeland park and on the top of the Opera house.
People are friendly and all speaks very good english, so communication isn't a problem.

4 Thank gerdusia
UK
18 helpful votes
“Winter break in Oslo”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

I spent two nights in Oslo in February 2009 as part of a Norwegian winter break and on my way to within the Arctic Circle to see the Northern Lights. I was able to spend one full day in the city and found it to be compact and easy to get around on foot. There is a good tram service for venturing further afield, also local and national trains. I walked to the harbour and found that there was ice in the fjord and no boats able to go out. Therefore unable to take a trip around the fjord and to visit a nearby island and museum. My next stop was Royal Palace just in time to see the changing of the guard. Had a bite to eat and coffee in a cafe; found it very difficult to locate any vegetarian food outside of my hotel. Took a tram to the Vigeland Park which was lovely and wll worth the effort. Found the Norwegian people to be polite, friendly and helpful.

7 Thank sheilasworld
Ireland
22 helpful votes
“Not worth the hassle”
Reviewed 9 February 2009

My Family and i went to Oslo for a weekend in early February, there was my Mother, Brother, Sister and myself. Althouth the city was quite nice it does not feel at all safe. In the square by the train station which is in the centre of the city there were gangs of young men who were very intimidating and would shout different types of narcotics at you! There was absolutely no police around so they could basically get away with whatever they wanted. There are some very nice sights and restaurants (Egon)but they really are not worth the hassle. We found ourselves walking very quickly from our meal back to our hotel the only street that felt someway safe was the main shopping street however after dark even that had some intimidating characters hanging around. So overall it is so expensive that it would really want to offer you more for your money......not worth the hassle!!

9 Thank Layla021
Turkey
11 helpful votes
“City of Tranquillity”
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Oslo is a PEACEFUL city where you can listen to the sound of silence, discover yourself and meet friendly people. It is SECURE and comfortable; however, quite EXPENSIVE so you should take enough money with you. Good choice for a friend visit or family holiday. Norwegian can speak GOOD ENGLISH, so communication is usually easy. You can choose Oslo also for studies. People are open-minded, intelligent and smart. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

7 Thank EnjoyyourtripTurkey

Been to Oslo? Share your experiences!