“OK central location but very average.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel

Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel
Ranked #39 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Yekaterinburg, Russia
“OK central location but very average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I am having a hard time writing this review as there is not much to say. It is a very average hotel with a central location but it is not next to the Central Train station or the Bus terminal. You would have to take a tram there. The hotel is certainly overpriced. The breakfast was decent but not great. The service was OK but as elsewhere in the local hotels missing the warmness. If you're to choose a Radisson hotel, stay rather at the Radisson Blu Plaza hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Visited several times and every time felt a kingly style stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west have a good view.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 6 days in March 2012 during our honeymoon. We had been a bit concerned by some of the reviews posted here but could not have been happier with the service we recieved. We noted the comments on Tripadvisor about renovated vs not renovated rooms and when we checked in asked if it was possible to be upgraded from the basic rooms we had paid for. The check in staff (a very helpful french gentleman and a very cheerful tall blonde norwegian lady) were really welcoming despite it being late at night and upgraded us to a business class room - 1014 - which was excellent - clean, modern, great view towards the ski jump.

As others have said breakfast was probably the best with regards to quality and quantity of any hotel I have stayed in. The staff were very friendly and we had no trouble finding a seat but it was quite busy at the weekend.

On our first morning we spoke to Ramoan the concierge who could not have been more helpful. We were able to buy Oslo passes and he also recommended places to visit, provided us with maps and even provided my wife with a bottle of water to take with us. We didn't need the parking discounts from the Oslo pass so he asked could he use these for other guests - worth asking about if you are here with a car.

We used the pool and sauna every evening and it was the perfect way to wind down at the end of a day packed with sightseeing and museums. The pool stayed open to 11pm which is later than in most places I have stayed and at 10pm each evening there were only one or two other guests and on a couple of occassions we had it to ourselves (its a 12m pool I think and any more than 4 people swimming lengths would be a bit crowded). There were the usual range of gym equipment although we did not use it.

We only visited the sky bar on our last evening. The view over Oslo at night is great and it is a nice place for a (very extensive compared to UK prices) drink.

Our room was cleaned every day and the cleaning staff always saiid hello when we passed them in the corridors. All in all we had a great stay in Oslo and we would woul like to stay in this hotel again. We only needed to use the train to get to get to Holmenkollen and were able to walk everywhere else - all the main museums and the sculpture park are within 40mins pleasant walk from the hotel. The hotel is in a great location, we were very comfortable walking about at night and there are lots of nice places to eat within a few minutes walk of the hotel.

Well done to the staff of the Radisson Blu Scandanavia.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GraemeandAngela
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is in a lovely location near the park but a short walk to most attractions.
Breakfast is excellent! Need lots of time to work through everything.
Only issue is the temperature control in the room, its non existent.

• Stayed April 2012
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My employer paid for my room (approximately $250/night) or I would not have stayed in a place in this price range. Even so, I was surprised that the room was rough around the edges. I was expecting something much fancier - like a high end Hyatt at least. This was more like a slightly run down Sheraton. Part of this of course is my own lack of understanding just how little you get for your money in this country. This hotel was held in high regard by my local colleagues so perhaps it is one of the better ones, despite the fact that it is showing its age.

Also, the heat was out of control (coming from outside the room as my thermostat was not on) and I could not reduce it to an acceptable point. However I was able to crack a window which solved the problem.

The breakfast is great as it often the case at Norwegian hotels. If you have never been up here you really need to experience a hotel breakfast in this country. Its remarkable with a huge selection of items.

The hotel bar has a fantastic view of the city from the 20+ floor. There were some local people just enjoying the bar when I was there (paying $15 per beer).

The hotel is 3 blocks from the NationalTheater train station where the FlytoGet airport train stops. If this is your first time in Oslo do not make the mistake of taking a taxi - It can easily cost you $200.

I ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner and thought it was really delicious, although again if my employer was not paying there is no way I would pay those prices.

If I were spending my own money I would probably look elsewhere for a hotel as the level of quality of this hotel is not near enough to justify the added cost over the cheaper listings on tripadvisor. In fact I stayed for three extra days of sightseeing and paid out of my own pocket at another hotel which had no frills for $155/night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business