“Hip, cozy bistro with creative food and attentive service.”
Review of Folk Flest - CLOSED

Folk Flest
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 26
Cuisines: European
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

I found this place on TripAdvisor after the hotel tried to send us to some expensive fish chain restaurant near the water, and I'm glad I did. We each chose three courses from the 3x3 grid and tasted the entire menu. Mom and I started with a glass of cava, each 18 NOK and very smooth for the price. I agree with a previous reviewer that the descriptions don't do justice to the food, although or server described everything in detail as it was stored. I had the salmon, horseradish cream, radish, apple and soy vinaigrette starter and it was amazing. I was compelled to finish it! Dad's "baby squid" was really octopus, with little chorizo bits and a lovely goat cheese foam. I wasn't crazy about the mussels, with cucumber and also foam, but others enjoyed them.
We had one mackerel for main course, pan fried and topped with fennel and beet and greens. I dont like mackerel but the preparation was lovely. The pork loin with potatoes was tender, and my beef with marrow and celery root was more tender than my brother's portion, so I enjoyed it. The desserts were stars like the appetizers. The brother had the "chocolate mousse," which was much lovelier when described as it was served, with Jack Daniels and coffee flavor and fresh strawberries, topped with a quenelle of yogurt mousse. My rhubarb was a study in rhubarb, with poached pieces, rhubarb gel and Italian meringue topping it off. He and I all but licked our plates. The cheese plate was enormous portions of three cheeses with nice accompaniments but nothing extraordinary.
Overall pricing is fair and appetizers and desserts are really special, as is the pleasant, quiet atmosphere and very friendly service. Totally worth seeking out and I'd definitely go back!

2  Thank Melissa M

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had an unbelievable meal in this cosy restaurant, where we were well attended by the waiter and the food was presented "top chef style" by the chef himself.

The menu is a grid of nine, with 3 starters, 3 entrées and 3 sweets. You pick one of each for 375 kroner, which is a very good value for Oslo (the town is seriously crazy), and the experience was still a great value compared to an $85 dinner in San Francisco.

They had an English menu that was reasonably descriptive, but the translations didn't do the food justice. "Salad of winter greens with beets, berries and egg" was really julienned raw beets with mâche greens, quail egg and lingonberry cream. It was beautiful and delicious, and I was expecting kale and boiled beets. There are gorgeous photos of the plates on the Facebook page. Each course was more amazing as the meal went on, to the point where I was very reluctant to give away even a bite of my dessert.

The atmosphere was warm, cosy and intimate, and very relaxed. They have tables and chairs outside on the riverbank with candles and sheepskins. We were not tough enough for this in early March, but I think on warmer evenings it would be a lovely place to relax.

I look forward to visiting Oslo and Folk Flest again.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stubled in to this restaurant by accident, and Im very happy we did.
Small, cozy and hidden from the pubblic.
Best food experience we hade in Norway.
You get to pic your own 3-cource meal at the price 375 NOK witch was very good value.
I can definitely recomend Folkflest to everyone that appreciates food!

2  Thank Lonely T
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Nice location but the food was not well presented and didn't taste good. My ceasar salad was bathing in dressing, yuk.

2  Thank TanzanianTam
Reviewed 3 October 2011

A very welcoming staff and a good menu. The food was also well presented by the waiters. The prices for a full three course meal are affordable.

3  Thank tonyisme