“Nice and cozy”

Cuisines: Seafood, Norwegian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Wonderful experience. I tried my first seal and my girlfriend had a wonderful fish.
The owner was amazing and explained us lots about both the fish and the fisheries. Totally recommended.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 26 August 2018

Adjacent to the Vigelandspark and Frogner in Oslo, in Majorstua, lies the "hidden" treasure of Lofotsua, almost invisible from the outside. The restaurant's interiors are quite modest and a bit .."aged", but as soon as you get the "overwhelming"menu you realize you've come to a fish "conosseur"'s place: all sorts of the best North Sea fishes are offered, prepared by chef Jan O.Jensen,who is also the owner of this family run business. Jan took over the place from his father, now retired, a real fisherman from the Lofoten Islands, who worked as a cook for decades on mercantile ships all over the world, and then brought home to Norway his passion for fish dishes, combining Northen Norway's cooking traditions with his worldwide experience and flavours. The restaurant offers also specialties like whale meat, fish tongues, and seal. I would definitely suggest to try the latter, as this seems to be the last year it is offered. Allthough the restaurant lies a bit off the usual beaten tracks, it is within walking distance from Vigelands park, and even the Castle ("Slottet"), and the Majorstua bus and train station.
Keep it up Jan, and hope to visit you soon again !

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 13 August 2018

Simply the most remarkable home cooked authentic Norwegian food you will in Oslo. After not being very satisfied with most of the overly priced dinners I had in the downtown area, I truly needed something wholesome and real in the way of an authentic seafood/fish experience...well right in the neighborhood where I am staying I discovered Lofotstua. In this specific location this restaurant has been run continuously by the same family for 46 years...that says something!!!! The owner was so totally informed about the large listing of fish. Also there was an excellent menu with all information clearly written in English plus a glossary card with all the fish and their overall consistency. And there is a wonderful wall poster with all the fish so the owner/chef clear articulated and showed me the fish for which I was interested and described where they exist in the sea (at what depth)...I felt so very informed when I made my menu decision. The "appetizer" was the "cod tongue" (I might have this wrong, I am working from memory!) which was so delicious, served with sliced dark bread and butter. My main course was Arctic Char...this was such a wonderful balance with the opening cod tongue. There was such a beautifully unique herb which the owner told me is rare and that is an herb that they can only obtain by growing it in their own garden. If you are seeking a nutritious, and so delicious dining experience go to Lofotstua...my words can hardly express my delight in finding this restaurant!!!! Thank you Lofotstua! And finally, this final bill for the meal was SO affordable and reasonable compared to those downtown restaurants!!!

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank David Y
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Simple cooked fish but wonderful. Traditional, relaxed restaurant. Flavours of fish were waiter helpful. Lovely evening

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

After reading many good feedback we decided to try it. First impression was pretty bad, dirty table cloth and waiter kind but bad dressed, we hade bad sensastions also when we were told there were few fishes. By the way we had 2 starters and 2 main courses with prosecco wine at a pretty high price, we can say quality of the seafood was ok but well below expectations. I read too late the original owner retired and now his son is managing the restaurant, hope he will deserve again good ratings, by now I don’t suggest it.

Date of visit: April 2018
Jan Hugo J, Eier at Lofotstua, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hello and sry that your expectations was not as exoected. That week i could not attend the resturant, and had to have another chef to run the kitchn that week. Should you ever be back, am surfe i can give you the experience you looked after. Pricewise.. i understand for any tourists.. Norway is expensive. Still by norwegian standard.. Im above mid-priced, fresh fish is expensive, and being so close to the Vigeland park..also demands its price.
Otherwise i wish you a happy day