All reviews guest house the main street great view nice living room many aspects fried eggs breakfast buffet northern lights guesthouse fjord railway mountains pillows
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

The staff here are excellent.. the veiws from the windows are exeptional!! The rooms are clean, the breakfast is good! 10 min walk from the train station, 10 min walk to the centre. We didn't manage to see the northern lights this time so we will be back and we will 100% stay here. Thank you.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
sølvi ø, Daglig leder at Breidablikk Gjestehus, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thank you very much!
Welcome back to Narvik and Breidablikk at any time!
Sølvi :-)

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Stayed two nights in the guest house. While the rooms have been remodeled "mostly", it has a certain Scandic Spartan feel to it. I was just happy to be inside given it was -23 when I visited. Rooms are basic but do the job. Bed was comfortable but came with the standard nordic: fitted sheet, comforter and pillows (no top sheet). More of a preference than a necesity but I always like a top sheet. The lay out is a bit of an upside down pineapple and at some point they must have switched the guest house entrance because you enter on the top and walk down stairs to get to the rooms with the first floor the third floor, the second floor two floors down from reception, and the first floor the third level down. No big issue, just odd. The big hit and what is on the photos advertising the place is the eating area which is on the ground floor which probably used to be the fourth floor. The dining / eating area has a nice view over the city and adjacent harbor (fjord). The town is picture perfect, surround by surreal mountains and the fjord.
Breakfast was excellent one morning and okay the other morning. I think it depends on the lady who is at the front desk who doubles as chef. The last day was nice with fried eggs, ham and scandanivan goodies (fish and cheeses). The place overall has a good feel and is quiet (at least when i was there). I think I was the only guest. You can walk to the city and it takes about 10 minutes on icy sidewalks so in the summer it takes less time. I had a car and parking is limited but street parking is available.
Wifi was good; shower pressure and water good with heated bathroom floors; TV and cable was available. I do wish it had a kettel to make tea or coffee.

Overall. Good price point and would come back again.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Brian M
sølvi ø, Leder  at Breidablikk Gjestehus, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Thank you for your visit! Welcome back at any time!
Best regards
Sølvi :-)

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

This 'hus' doesn't seem to have been designed with "Gjestes in mind!

I stayed here based on a recommendation in 'The world's best railway journeys'. Maybe they've bumped up their prices based on growing popularity from that and other sources? The offering is OK for a guesthouse, the problem is that the price is similar to that of any local hotel.

Spread over 4 levels, with no lift, it's not wheelchair accessible. Nor is it suitable if you have any problem lifting your bags up and down multiple stairs. It's within 750m of both the train and bus stations ... but that's 750m uphill.

The walls are wafer-thin. Plasterboard. My neighbours were having a party for 4 when I checked in around 6pm, and I thought that was cute. When I got back at 10 and they were louder and happier and I was tired and in need of a good night's sleep... I thought it was less cute. I could hear every word - but it was Norwegian so I couldn't join in!! I tried ear plugs and Spotify but I couldn't drown it out, so a few polite knocks on the water-thin wall were met with silence. Then whispering. Then laughter. Then .... PAR-TAY!! 30 minutes later, one couple left, the other went to bed. And snored. All night. It was like they were in bed beside me. To be clear - they were 100% entitled to have fun in their room and I don't blame them in any way. The walls should be solid, to allow guests privacy and peace. Hotels normally get that right, and when a guest house charges hotel prices it should do like wise.

My room had no wardrobe - storage is just a few hangers on a wall hook. No headboard either, and nowhere to lean back against as the curtains are where the headboard should be. One small pillow and a cushion. Think 'comfortable cell'.

Breakfast was .... ok, served in a lovely room with a terrace off.

In summary, an OK guesthouse charging close-to hotel prices and for that reason I can't rate it higher than average.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a week over national day. We stayed in a dorm room on the bottom floor which was clean and had wifi. The bathroom and shower worked fine. The breakfast was good. Buffet with orange juice and coffee. Get a great view over the city for the balcony too. Only a short 5min walk to the town centre and shops.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jackbarden
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Very nice hotel with friendly staff, clean accomodations, restaurants nearby and good breakfast. The wi-fi worked fine and it is not so far from the Narvik Train Station. The rooms have a nice size too.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Carolina F
sølvi ø, Eier at Breidablikk Gjestehus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Thank you - we hope to see you here again!
Reception :-)