“delicious food, lovely atmosphere”
Review of Buxbaum Restaurant

Buxbaum Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 4,447 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 147
Neighbourhood: Old University Quarter
Description: Das Buxbaum Restaurant verschreibt sich der gehobenen österreichischen Küche. Wir verarbeiten ausschließlich regionale Produkte und garantieren damit höchste Qualität. Im altehrwürdigen Heiligenkreuzerhof verwöhnen wir unsere Gäste mit saisonalen Speisen in gemütlicher Atmosphäre. Im Sommer genießen Sie frisch gemachte Säfte im wohl schönsten Schanigarten der Wiener Innenstadt.
Reviewed 23 December 2016

I had a late lunch at Buxbaum's on a grey, overcast, cold almost-Christmas winter day. As soon as I stepped through the wooden door into the courtyard, I knew I'd made the right choice. The sounds of the city fall away; you step into a welcoming minimalist atmosphere; the staff are superb and friendly.

I chose the fixed 4-course menu and asked the waiter to recommend a red wine to go with it. I appreciated that, while 4 courses is more than I would typically eat, I left feeling full but not horribly so. The portions are realistic as well as beautifully presented.

The starter was smoked lakefish: somewhat meaty, light smoked flavor, accompanied by a crisp dressed salad and horseradish puree - the first time I've actually enjoyed eating horseradish. The soup was a light beef consommé with thinly sliced pancakes rather than noodles - a clever take that worked well. The main was perfectly prepared wiener schnitzel with a fresh salad and cold savory potatoes - a sneakily "simple" dish that highlighted the flavors. The dessert was an apple dumpling in custard - while this wasn't my favorite dish of the evening, that is due to my tastes, not the preparation of the food. The dumplings - more like tiny bread loaves with apple filling - were freshly baked with a good not-too-dense texture and the custard was rich but not overwhelming sweet.

For those who are concerned about the time required to dine: welcome to Europe. You are allowed to enjoy your food here; no dish will arrive at your table until the previous one is taken away; no waiter will hover over you while you're trying to have a conversation. Take the time to actually enjoy the experience of eating good food and you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank traveling_professor1

Reviewed 23 December 2016

We tried this restaurant because it was #1 on Tripadvisor and we are not sorry. Nice atmosphere, good food and great service. We went there for lunch without a reservation but there was no problem with finding a table. We were warmly welcomed. The Wiener schnitzel was perfect. The Austrian wine they offered us was also good.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Went there one summer evening with family after a positive review in Falstaff magazine and were all disppointed about the strangeness of the food and also the wine. The surroundings are very nice though if you sit outside in the court and it is a good place to sit - but obviously from our experience a better place for coffee or tea or breakfast

1  Thank othmar953
Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

We just landed in Vienna and arrived at our hotel. The kids were tired from the long flight, but we thought we better feed them before they fall asleep. Found this restaurant not far from our hotel and It was #2 ranked in Vienna, so we thought we should give it a try. And I'm glad we did.

The walk through the small doors and entry into the square was a good sign for things to come. The restaurant wasn't big but was welcoming. We were greeted warmly and ushered to our table after a short 5 mins wait.

Menu was fairly limited, but what they had, they did it well. We had the beef goulash, Wiener schnitzel and duck pappardelle to share. And they were all delicious. We completed our meal with chocolate cake and coffee, which was surprisingly good. I consider myself a coffee Connoiseur, and was half expecting the hype of Viennese coffee was going to disappoint, but it looks like this will be a good coffee trip for me.

How do we improve on this meal, and we still have 10 more days in Vienna to go!

1  Thank juanh187
Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

This beautiful little restaurant is tucked away in an old courtyard. The food was outstanding. We went for a late lunch and had a stunning meal. We really enjoyed our time here.