“To an institution wrapped up in a different time”
Review of Cafe Hawelka

Cafe Hawelka
Ranked #41 of 78 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Sydney, Australia
“To an institution wrapped up in a different time”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Despite old man Hawelka recently departing the planet and the "younger" waiters taking to life post-Hawelka, this still remains a drawcard for me. I had my usual grosser Brauner and it was fine. The service was slow and it was hard to get any waiter to take notice, but I did expect that. It hasn't changed since the first time I was here 20 years before. I'm there for the experience of being in one of Vienna's grandest tributes to how life should be conducted - coffee, papers, a glass of water and conversation - and a chance to remember the last century. Hawelka never disappoints in this regard.

• Visited January 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
“Authentic!!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Went to Cafe Hawelka Saturday for lunch,and we had to wait for five minutes for a table. That was a short wait for such a nice place! Very authentic,great locals and perfect Goulash soup!! The Apfel Strudel was also very good,and we really enjoyed our pit-stop at this charming cafe!

1 Thank Iram79
Munich
“Never again”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This place is supposed to be some fabulous old-fashioned Viennese cafe. If you want to see a cafe that hasn't been renovated in heaven-knows-how-long, with paint chipping from the ceiling, the torn curtains heavy with cobwebs, then this is the place for you.

They have no menu: when we went we were given the choice of ordering either the gulaschsuppe, or a slice of cherry/apple/topfen strudel. We had a slice of cherry and topfen strudel each, which was ok.

Overall, it's not terrible, but we walked out and turned the corner and passed Cafe Demel, and I could have kicked myself for having agreed to go to Cafe Hawelka instead. Demel had a much larger variety of sweets, a much nicer atmosphere, and the next time I'm in Vienna, that's where I'll be going for my afternoon coffee and cake.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank munichgirl
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
“Have a Drink at this Historical Place”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

No need to remind the history of this unique cafe so while you are strolling around the center, take a turn and have a drink (coffee or beer) at this incredibly cosy place. Don't forget to admire the pictures on the walls.

Visited February 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
“not impressed”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I know this is in all the travel books, but we were not impressed. The atmosphere was of course incredible, but the server was cranky and never even offered menus. We had wine but had no idea they even served food until someone near us got an order.

Visited December 2011