See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Not taking into account the 5 squared meters room which was shared with 5 other people, the extremely small smelly toilets or the greasy "kitchen", the worst thing about this hostel was who I met there. I mean, there were lots of bedbugs. Dozens, hundreds, uncountable bugs, everywhere, at the walls, sheets, just standing there watching us with those tiny red eyes and malicious minds. However, one of them just caught my eye. He had a shiny shell of a beautiful hazel brown colour and I could not forget him the following day. I think he did not forget me either, as he followed me home after we left Vienna. I named him Steve. Steve was a premium bedbug, seemed extraorinarily nice, charming and talented. In the beginning, he created unique works of art in my hands and feet, using various tones of red, diverse shapes and sizes, different degrees of itchiness. But then, Steve started covering every single spot in my skin. My head, shoulders, knees, toes, face, fingers, arms, legs, belly, back, heart, lungs, brain, soul, past, present and future lives, all of them are now covered in magnificent pustules. And the despair of it! I used to enjoy hot showers, but now it is just itchiness. I used to enjoy to go for a walk, but now it is just itchiness. I used to enjoy life in general, but itchiness is present now, always, all the time. Steve does not go away, he cannot understand we must part our ways. Everytime I hear a small noise, I think it is Steve and I panic, thinking of the itchiness. And it is difficult to get rid of Steve, for his breed is stronger, selected by years of non-existent cleaning. I am currently suspicious this bedbugs are radioactive. Thus, my only hope is that as Spiderman got his powers by being bitten by a mutant spider, I will one day become Bedbugwoman and protect Vienna of robbery, spreading itchiness over crime.

Room Tip: Many bedrooms have no windows, which is terrible because many people have smelly feet
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank raquelbcz
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for one night, not expecting much after reading a few bad reviews and for the price. On arrival we noticed a sign that said 'bed bug infestation' which we realised had later been removed, I imagine by the staff. At first glance nothing seemed THAT bad, however I woke up at 4am from extreme itching which led me to turn on my torch and look at a HUGE pile of bed bugs running beneath me and this is no exaggeration. I immediately got out of bed and looked at my bed to see it crawling with HUNDREDS of bed bugs which had also got into our bags. To top this off there was no electricity throughout the night or hot water, which was still not switched on at 6am. Disgusting. I would truly only recommend this place to someone willing to take part in a bush tucker trial or someone who likes sleeping with bugs. Although the receptionist guy was really nice and helpful for information around the city, it's a shame he couldn't of warned us about their bed bug infestation. After leaving the hostel promptly, my bites turned into blisters and a lot of swelling due to an allergic reaction to them, which then led me to seek medical advice and miss out on a lot of our trip due to this.. all because the hostel could not be bothered to sort out the problem! I have since finished my trip and the bites have now turned into scars that cover all areas of my body that I will probably be left with for the rest of my life. If I could rate this zero stars I would. I have attached a picture of a couple of the bugs, just so you can see what lovely creatures you will be sharing the bed with if you stay here.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aysh21
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

A fantastic location minutes from the Museum Quartier. The hostel is split over several locations. The section we stayed in was within a historic house and office building with interesting architectural features. The bathroom and kitchen (no cutlery!) could have been cleaner but the rooms were OK, though not great. That said for the price - around euro 16 per person in dorms, it is good value compared with the average, given its location.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerraBellaTravel
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Absolutely stupidly run place! I got a nasty surprise when I turned up to the hostel and it was shut! Just shut. No night staff or anything! There was no information whatsoever on what to do in such a case- there was a sign on the door even saying "don't ring the doorbell after we're closed"- but I rang it anyway because it was 23.30pm and I was desperate and had already paid to stay here! But absolutely nothing! No one turned up- the doorbell was completely ignored- I rang it maybe 5x! Every time I got an answer machine message coming back through in Austrian German which I struggled to understand- telling me to press one number for one thing and another for something else- but there were no numbers! It was just a plane intercom! Oh my gosh! I didn't know what to do- I panicked and was so scared because I was on my own- next thing I was harrassed by a bunch of drunk youths whilst waiting outside! I should have been in a warm bed at that point- I was so tired- I'd been traveling for 12 hours and just wanted to sleep!

Anyway, so I had to find emergency last minute accommodation for the first night which ended up costing me 50 euros! But what else could I do?

So I had to come back and stay here for my second night even though the thought of returning to such a traumatizing place made me feel physically sick and anxious... there were two girls in front of me who the receptionist had just told were lucky because they had a room to themselves so I thought okay cool maybe I'll be lucky too- but nope. My room was absolutely packed when I arrived- 7 other people in a space of less than 25m squared- it was absolutely horrible and smelled appalling....
Then there were cockroaches crawling around everywhere- pubic hairs all over the bathroom- toilet smelled like wee and windows covered in bird poo. Dust EVERYWHEREEEEEEEEEE! No sign of any cleaners on any of the coming 2 days I stayed here, despite a sign saying "our cleaners are instructed to ....blah blah.........".
There was mould all over the showers and the floors were cracked. Also there was no hot water: there was a sign saying please come down to reception if there is no hot water- so I did: but what do you know? It was shut when I got down there. Also the reception is not in the same building- it's about a 10 minute walk so you can't just quickly run down in your slippers.
-Another thing: I noticed my sheets had a stain on them so I brought them back down to reception only for them to tell me it was my fault and then charge me for staining it- not true at all!
-Another thing I noticed: there were rude signs everywhere saying things like "if you lose your keys its an automatic 50 euros- we're not joking!" and another one read "if you check out even one minute late you'll automatically be charged for another night because its computer controlled" or something- not true. Also I had to pay 10 euros for a locker- absolute rip-off! That's how much I paid to stay in the first place!
-Also, the wifi was absolute crap and didn't work from my room so I asked could the receptionist check me in for my flight and help me print my boarding pass but he was very rude and refused to do so.
-Other things: walls are paper thin so you can hear your neighbours whispering! The accomadation is above a pub so you'll have to deal with drunk people every time you come in and out. The microwave is filthy and there is no cutlery. Showers don't have a curtain or door- so good luck with that- I refused to shower here! Overall an extremely crappy place.
I thought "how bad can it be?" when booking: it was only 10 euros and I wanted to save some money on accommodation but honestly staying in this place just casted a dark cloud over my whole trip and please just pay a few extra pounds for somewhere nicer- for your own mental (as well as physical) health!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank lemoncheesecake3578
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Would to recommend this hostel but if you are only staying one night it is survivable.

When arriving the hostel office was actually closed for a lunch break which was not ideal and also was a pain the day I checked out as I wanted to leave my bag.

The hostel staff were actually very good! One of the women helped me find my bus terminal and went above and beyond! I wish I caught her name.

The actual hostel was not acceptable. The sheets were stained and the bathrooms were not clean. The hostels are apartment style and actually located away from the main office which actually didn't feel too safe. Because they are apartment style with the kitchen being at the heart of the hostel ... the noise was out of control both morning and night.

I wouldn't recommend but the hostel is doable if you want to save money for a couple of nights!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo