“Mailberger Hof, hotel begging for renovation”
Review of Mailberger Hof

Mailberger Hof
Ranked #175 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
“Mailberger Hof, hotel begging for renovation”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

When looking for accomodation in Vienna, Mailberger Hof was recommend to us by a view sites, but it turned out to be the hotel my wife and I were most disappointed about in our entire holiday. Allthough we were greeted friendly by the staff, they immediately charged 35 euro for valet parking. That leaves a sour taste. Hotel did look very classic and traditional but not in the charming way. When entering our room, we could not help but feel slightly disappointed after all the good hotels we’ve stayed in so far. This room cried out for a major renovation. And even though the location was very good and the breakfast was excellent, the hotel could not offer me the value I would expect, it was disappointing. And before I forget, if I stay in Mailberger Hof it is quite sloppy to find soap and shampoo from another hotel in the bathroom, that would be my first big change as a hotel manager. So for a good location this is a good place, for all other things, please search on.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed 10 January 2010

This hotel is located in the heart of Vienna. The service was excellent, and the room charming. The beds were sooo comfortable, we barely made it out of bed for breakfast. There was a TV, mini-bar, desk and arm chairs. The room was spacious. Breakfast is served in a veranda by the inner courtyard (an excellent buffet). We arrived five minutes before it ended, and were received with a smile. We were told not to miss the delicious breakfast, and to take our time. !! :-)
We had a fantastic price through the Office of Tourism.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 4 October 2009

It is a historic building at a great location. The staff was helpful & friendly in general. The included breakfast was simple but alright. The rooms are big, but the furniture and appliances are old. So we have disintegrating drawers, and hair dryers that are not powerful enough. Things were actually not too bad until we wanted to check out. We had an early flight and so we had to check out at 5 am. The staff provided the luggage wagon for us. I asked my family to wait in the room first, and I moved all our luggage on to the wagon and into the lift. Then the lift moved down 5 inches and stopped - it was stuck. I could still feel the horror, not to mention that I was scared that we will be late for our flights. After 10 minutes they managed to move the lift down to the first floor. I was quite relieved and tried to open the door, but then the lift descended again. I managed to wedge the wagon between the lift and its door. After crying for help, the night staff and my chauffer had to "rescue" me and our luggages from the half-stuck lift. And what did the staff say when I got out? "The weight must have crossed 320 kg." There is simply no way that my 4 pieces of luggage and me will weigh that much. I will definitely not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The outside of the hotel and the lovely courtyard are the most interesting aspects of the old historic building. We had a third floor room overlooking the pedestrian-only street, which was surprisingly loud all night. We were forced to choose between leaving the windows open for air or shutting out the noise -- either way I didn't sleep well. The rooms are clean, a bit worn around the edges, but adequate. Small things weren't attended to -- one soap dispenser was empty and the other one didn't work (we fixed it with a pocket knife). Both the electrical outlet and the hair dryer in the bathroom were broken. The staff was generally helpful, though not friendly. Twice I heard two different staff members snap at guests. The breakfast was much like the rest of the stay -- adequate with limited choices. The coffee was quite good, and the tea terrible. The location is wonderful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 June 2006

This could be a great hotel. A beautiful building with a charming courtyard in a prime location. All major attraction and venues are within walking distance. Unfortunately the service we received at the hotel did not mirror the fact that we were staying in a 4-hotel. The reception staff were extremely unfriendly and uncaring. We felt like intruders when simply asking for the room keys.
No matter what time we had our breakfast, none of the tables had been emptied and prepared after the previous guests' meal. We actually had to look for tableware ourselves. Not to mention that the breakfast buffet was hardly ever attended to (and that you had to pay EUR 1.20 if you wanted a boiled egg, EUR 2.50 for 2 fried eggs, etc.). On one occasion we even got frozen bread for they had forgotten to defrost it in time.
The (twin) room was very quiet and spacious, but in need of some refurbishment. To use the wardrobe with its sliding doors proved somewhat of a muscular exercise. Again there was a total lack of attention for there was no leaflet introducing the hotel, its facilities and important facts, such as breakfast times, etc.
All in all this was a very disappointing stay, even more so at a room rate of EUR 230. We shall certainly not go back to this hotel, despite its superb location and settings.

• Stayed June 2006