“As central as it gets”
Review of Pension Nossek

Pension Nossek
Ranked #194 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed at Pension Nossek for one night on a business trip. The location is excellent, bang in the centre and about one minute walk from the nearest tube station. I stayed in room 19, which overlook an internal court and is very quiet, for 98 euros (single occupancy). Clean bathroom, with soft towels and hot water.
The breakfast in the morning is nice, although a little limited for choice.
Overall, a very good address.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Isle G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at this old world Pension in the best location in Vienna, My twin room had the views of the superb pedestrian street Am Graben which during the Christmas seasons is illuminated by massive chandeliers hanging from the sky making the street feel as if it is part of a big royal dancing hall! The Pension Nossek has a great old fashioned typical Viennese feeling to it both in its furnishings and service. It is run by a family which are always accommodating and kind- also I have heard them speak at least a few foreign languages including superb english. My room was spacious with a separate shower; a TV, with a limited number of foreign channels, a mini Bar and free WiFi. The breakfast room offers a buffet breakfast which is included in the price- I had an excellent yogurt with a fresh fruit salad....It seems that Mozart lived in this building and composed The Abduction from the Seraglio while living here. So you can boast to your friends that you lived in one of Mozart's homes during your visit to Vienna.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an excellent location in a modest facility for an excellent value in a city f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Caris25
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I stayed in a single room at PN for four nights at the end of November. The room was adequately sized, and spotlessly clean and neat. The shower and toilet were in a raised, enclosed area in a corner. The mattress was fairly comfortable, but Austrian pillows are much too soft for my taste. I just make do by scrunching up some towels into a firm roll.

The location on the Graben can't be beat, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The flat-screen TV had a variety of German-language channels, plus the BBC and CNN. Other channels faded in and out, but I didn't ask for anyone to fix it. There was a combination alarm clock/radio installed above the headboard; I heard static on the radio and left it alone after that, as I use the alarm on my iPhone.

PN was just about exactly what I expected: You get fair value for price, and that doesn't include any charm or amenities. The furnishings are dowdy, and negotiating the step to the shower/WC is awkward, especially when you're dripping wet. I was always afraid of falling, even with the bath mats. The shower is tiny, and water always leaked on the floor.

Others have described the basic breakfast, which is served in the breakfast room from 7am-10am, or in your room from 9:30-10:00am. The room was packed when I went in the next day at 9:15am, so I left and went to Aida, and just skipped the whole thing after that. You should plan to arrive early if you want a place to sit. Frankly, I don't want to have to get up at 7am or wait until 9:30am. Because I was leaving very early on the last morning, they brought a kettle with teabags and sugar to my room the night before, which I appreciated.

All hotels have signs, but I really don't want to look at one that says "No hair-coloring in the sink." I completely agree, but . . . I'm going back to the Kaiserin Elisabeth next time. I stayed there in 2010 and the higher price was completely worth it. I enjoyed my stay so much more. I'm usually in the hotel most of the evening, as I get exhausted by 7pm or so, so I want to enjoy my surroundings (and not worry about falling from the shower!)

It was pretty quiet (my room overlooked the courtyard), except that you could hear the keys turning in the locks of the two rooms nearby. One night around 11:00pm, I heard the TV in the adjacent room as clearly as a bell; fortunately, the occupant turned it off after 5-10 minutes.

I wonder, too, about how much help you could expect in an emergency with just a porter on the premises overnight.

PN is a good accommodation in the budget category, but I'll go back to the Kaiserin Elisabeth for a higher level of charm, comfort, and safety -- and plenty of room at breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank penguin65
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Very well located in the heart of Vienna. Charming, oldfashioned rooms. Unfortunately we were disturbed during our three nights of a sound in one of the walls. Sounded like a drill. The hotel were not able to locate and put a stop to the sound. Breakfast on the frugal side, but ok Had to pay extra for an egg and for more tea. There may be a security problem as rooms are located over several floors, and there is nobody in the reception during night and the reception is
locked. Furhermore there was no telephon numbers to call in the room in case of need for assitance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jorsalfar
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Pension Nossek for 3 nights, and had a great experience. It is centrally located on the Graben, which makes it easy for sightseeing by foot or by metro/tram. There are plenty of great restaurants, shops and nighttime activities within walking distance. Our room faced the Graben, which meant there was some street noise, but it also made for some great people-watching from the balcony!

The rooms are well-appointed - not the newest furnishings but nice. We opted for the attached bath, and it was clean and adequately sized. Breakfast is included except for coffee, which is extra. The breakfast was okay - I felt like there was not a whole lot of variety day-to-day, so you sort of got tired of granola with yogurt/cold meat & cheese. But other than that, it was an excellent stay.

As has been noted in other reviews, this place is cash only. Think about how you are going to do this prior to arrival if you need to convert - the cheapest dollar to euro conversion is usually via ATM, but you can run into limits on your daily withdrawl amount. Be sure to let your bank know you are travelling and raise your limit before departing.

Room Tip: Bring euros - this place is cash only!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple