See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 August 2015

I went to this hotel on my way to Switzerland
When I arrived I was given a room on the roof that was so hot that you could fry an egg on the table....yes, beware, this hotel has no air-conditioning......
The view at night was nice with all the lights around the lake.
When I woke up sweaty after a night in this sauna-room, I was disappointed to see that I couldn't see the lake as a thick fog was covering it.....I thought, I am glad there is still the breakfast to cheer me up...but it was so poor that I almost lost my speech. Very limited choice, no fresh juice and a tasteless coffee...the bread saved my breakfast...at least.
Then to finish the room was charged 230 euros....!!!!!! if it was 100 euros i would have rated the hotel higher but it was so poor for the money that two stars is more than enough.

Room Tip: In the summer - avoid the attic rooms unless you want to be in a Sauna.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stella A E
Reviewed 15 June 2015

We stumbled across the Schonblick on our way up in to the hills around Lake Constance. We were about 10 minutes in to our journey when we spotted the view from the bend in the road that the hotel sits on, and just had to spend the night.

The room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the balcony gave us the most incredible view of the lake and surrounding area.

We spent the afternoon in the pool and sauna facilities which was very relaxing, and we sat outside on the decking taking in the scenery. The only disappointment we experienced was that the hotel could not contact their masseur, meaning we could not have a massage, and since we were only staying one night we had to go without.

Dinner was delicious and well served. We had starters and mains, and a lovely Austrian wine suggested by the maitre d'.

The bathroom was spotless and the beds were comfortable, we had a great night's sleep. The view in the morning was breathtaking - the haze had cleared up and you could see the mountains in the distance across Bregenz.

Breakfast was substantial and very nice. I'm told the coffee was great but I'm not a coffee drinker so have to take their word for it.

This was a real treat for us as we were on a budget - this was really pushing the boundaries of what we could afford - but we're glad we stayed and would really love to go again.

Room Tip: Corner room on the 1st floor, facing the lake - has the best balcony for a panoramic view.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephsomerset
Reviewed 23 February 2015 via mobile

I stayed overnight in this amazing hotel as I was visiting friends who live in Bregenz. If I had known how beautiful the hotel is and views I would have stayed for more than 1 night. I stayed in room 33 which is a large room with its own minibar which I was more than happy to tuck into, while also having stunning views of the snowy mountains and Bregenz, including Lake Constance. Sadly I did not eat at the hotel but after seeing the fine selection of wines and food I would be more than happy to return. The staff were always so helpful and kind, whilst I am trying to learn German anyway the staff were more than capable of talking to me in English. Phew! I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and I shall definitely be returning soon.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed for two nights in one of the four apartments in a building detached from the hotel where we had a dramatic view of the Lake Constance. Although the flat was not that elegantly furnished considering the price (388 euros for two people for two nights), the view more than made up for it. The restaurant offers great meals (with the exception of the cherry strudel which we didn't like at all) and breakfasts. The pool and the sauna area looked clean and well-kept with the usual great view on the lake.
Yet, all this was spoilt by the dreadful experience we had with the shuttle service to the Bregenz Opera Festival. This service is prominently advertised at the reception and in the in-room brochures so I consider it to fall in the responsibility of the hotel management which functions as the interface between me as the client and the taxi company that materially provides the taxis and vans. We booked two seats on the eight o'clock shuttle to avoid the stress of finding a parking in Bregenz the evening of the opera. Yet, as we sat in the van, the driver said he couldn't take us all to the opera as there was one of us more than allowed by Austrian law. He then tried to persuade three German-speaking people to switch to a taxi that he had called. When these three refused, he turned to us (the only two people who didn't speak German) and said we should take the taxi. As it was already ten past eight, I told him and the lady at reception that I was afraid of being late for the opera - the only reason I had decided to finish my holiday in Bregenz. But the decision had been taken in spite of us - we had to get off and wait for the taxi. It would be no problem and, one of the other passengers claimed, "you won't be late". Thanks. These people really know how to be hospitable and make you feel at home. The lady at the reception also said we'd be there plenty of time before the show.
The taxi arrived at the hotel at 20.35 with the performance beginning at 21. I was really getting nervous. It also didn't help that the driver, whose English was very basic, told us that because they didn't have enough taxis or vans, on the way back we would have to walk to the railway station. True, the railway station is not that far from the Opera area. Yet, if I buy a service that claims to take me to the Opera and pick me up back from there, i don't see why that should be different. In addition we didn't know where the station was so the driver had to show us. This meant arriving at 20.45. We were in time for the show, although we had no time for a glass of wine or to look at the area surrounding the stage. In the end, the shuttle did more harm than good in terms of stress. So, the following morning, at checkout, I asked the same lady who was at the reception the evening before to refund me the money spent on the service. She said she was very sorry for the poor service, but added it was not her responsibility. I thought that was ludicrous. If it's a service that offer to your customers you should take full responsibility for it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lucabol
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We celebrated my mother-in-law's 75th birthday at Restaurant Schonblick. We were in a semi-private room, with a wall full of windows. The view was beautiful and we were super lucky -it was a gorgeous sunny day and the Bodensee was shining. :) There were 16 of us, so we were a fairly large group and they were able to manage us better than most places I have seen in this area. The menu was extensive and not all your typical German/Austrian. I had the lamb and it was absolutely perfect. Everyone else loved their meals too. AND our meals actually arrived nearly all at the same time - such a pleasant surprise! The service was a good, a bit frazzled at times but that is to be expected from such a large group and there was an event outside causing all sorts of distractions. We'll definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family