“Perfect location in a great city”

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg
Ranked #3 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
West Palm Beach
“Perfect location in a great city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

From the minute we walked into the hotel we were treated liked return guests and extend every courtesy. The front desk staff was very attentive and our room was ready even though we arrived before noon. We had room #10 which faced the Getreidgasse but with the double glazed windows we had no issues with noise. The batroom was very generous in size and had every needed amenity. The room was fairly large, especially given the age of the hotel.

The beds were the only slight negative. In a country known for quality linens and bedcovers as well as pillows, it is always a bit odd that the actual bed is usually not that comfortable. Unfortunately, that was true here as well. The bed was fairly hard and a tad lumpy.

The hotel has fee internet next to the library on the first floor. A little maze-like to find the first time but a plus.

We ate dinner at the hotel one night and had the breakfast buffet the next morning. We ate in the "formal" dining room for dinner and the wait staff deserves an A for unobtrusive and yet friendly service. The menu is extensive with a good wine selection. Game is a featured item and we were very pleased with the choices (dual language menus are available)

The breakfast buffet is your typical German/Austrian buffet with rolls, meats, cereals, juices and cheeses(and eggs made to order). At 32.50 Euros it edges toward being overpriced for what is offered and it is best enjoyed if you get a hotel rate where brekfast is included.

Overall, you cannot beat the location, the service and the charming character make for a most exceptional stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are all unique based on the location and age of the hotel, so prior to checking in ask to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
GKrischek, General Manager at Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind and positive feedback.
We pride ourselves in the friendliness and attentiveness of our staff and hope to make every guest feel as welcome as you, when they enter the hotel.
We are sorry to hear you did not find our beds comfortable, however we do have softer mattress covers available upon request. We would be happy to provide these for you during your next stay.
Your thoughtful comments will be passed on to our staff with pleasure.
We hope to welcome you back to Salzburg as our guests again in the future!

Best regards from the city of Mozart,
Wolfgang Putz
Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed in the Goldener Hirsch in early March and loved the place. The staff was so helpful when we needed an elecrical outlet, cork screw, and additional towels. We were given an upgraded room (#53) and it was wonderful. We found the prices in the bar were very high (4 drinks=60 euros) and the restaurant was very good but over priced for wht we had paid in other restaurants over our 16 day trip through Europe. You have to enter the hotel from the rear and the cost is 35 Euros a day for them to park your car. Pay the price you don't want to drive in Europe. The location is ideal-walk out the door and shop til you drop. The streets are pedestrain only with many shops and restaurants. The famous schnapps store is right next door, a Rick Steves favorite. We would highly recommend the Hotel Goldener Hirsch. The room was great and the staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: First class hotel with great staff and great location.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scotland067
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Hotel Goldener Hirsch
A charming Tyrolean boutique hotel in a prime location. The service here is top notch. The hotel itself is old so know you are paying for a piece of history and not to expect a glitzy experience. It is surprising quiet given the location, but probably has something to do with the 6oo year old construction and the massive amount of wood used in the building. The ceiling height are a bit low (ask to check your room height if you are tall), but the rooms are so cozy!! Beautiful wooden doors, beams and old furniture combine to create a charming feel. It is a bit of maze with many steep steps, but again, it all adds to the ambiance of the hotel. The bed is comfy and the bathroom large.
On the downside…the breakfast was only ok. The breakfast room was cute, and the service very good, but certainly a better selection of pastries and cheeses would have been simple to accomplish in this part of the world.
I would recommend this hotel to the able bodied, who appreciates a cozy atmosphere and prime location. It is not for someone who is expecting a grand glitzy accommodation.

I removed a star because of breakfast...no excuse not to have this meal top notch

Room Tip: check room height if tall, and ask for lower level if traveling with small children
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank drddunn
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I have stayed at many top level hotels throughout Europe and North America on business and pleasure. This location ranks near the top of my list of locations.

Salzburg is one of my favourite European cities. My wife, however, had never even been to Europe. I wanted her initial visit to be memorable. I booked a night at this hotel to give her the best exposure to Salzburg in a short visit. I was not disappointed.

The hotel is on the main shopping street in Salzburg. This is a vibrant location where you can walk to all the main tourist attractions Salzburg has to offer.

Our room was a "standard" room -- I will only say that the level of the room leaves almost any other "premium" room I have stayed in far behind. The service of the staff is impeccable.

We had dinner at the hotel. Why not try the restaurant when it is rated as one of the best of the city. We did and were not disappointed. The service was impeccable. The food was excellent.

My only complaint would be the breakfast. The food etc. was excellent. To charge extra for the breakfast (at a fairly exorbitant price) when in almost any other location breakfast is included is counter-intuitive. Have dinner. Go to one of the very good cafes in short distance from the hotel for breakfast.

We are planning a family trip to a location an hour south of Salzburg in a couple of years and will seriously consider the Goldener Hirsch as our base at that time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank John F
Tecumseh, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend stopover in Salzburg.
Simply put, I was overwhelmed at the exceptional customer service from start to finish. Was greeted at check-in with flair, charm and respect. Front desk manager went out of his way to ensure I had a package of helpful information to get the most out of my brief stay in Salzburg. Was provided with helpful and friendly assistance to room - they brought my suitcase to room for me after ensuring I was happy with room.
Was upgraded to suite in recognition of Starwood membership - beautiful room with loads of charm that did justice to magnificent 600 year history of building while having been tastefully upgraded with modern conveniences.
Wireless network was fast and best of all was free.
After checking out and again being treated with exceptional flair and professional courtesy I proceeded on my way to Heidelberg, Germany by car.
3 hours later I received an email from hotel manager informing me that I had left my camera behind and offering to send it to me at my next destination. I called and he agreed to mail it to my home in Canada as I was only in Europe for 1-2 more days. Just superior customer service that is rarely found anymore.
Location of hotel was premium - right on main pedestrian street in Old Town just down the street from Mozart's birth house. Doesn't get any better.
I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012