“Definitely not worth its money”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Gollner

Hotel Gollner
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Definitely not worth its money”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Very shabby hotel. Room's interior dates back to the 1960's: old and timeworn, bathroom tiny with salmon pink tiles and stank. Room was very noisy. Whole third floor stinks of cigarettes. Staff tried hard to be friendly, but was rather unprofessional in handling our enquiries, poor English. Only positive thing was breakfast.
If you really want to spend your time in Graz in a nice but affordable hotel, I'd recommend hotel Daniel which is head and shoulders better (and cheaper!) than Gollner.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
hotelgollner, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Gollner, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
Dear sir/madam,
we are very sorry, that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Unfortunately you have got one of our not renovated rooms (it is one of the last two, and will be renovated this year). As we are directly in the city centre all our rooms have sound-absorbing windows to protect the noises of the street. Because of the cigarette stink: It is only allowed to smoke inside the marked smoking rooms and at the bar, there are also no ashtrays on the floors, but we excuse for some other guests who do not take care about this. Our staff at the reception speaks three languages and we are sorry for some misunderstandings in communication. We would be happy if you give us a second chance to prove our quality to you.
With best regards, Hotel Gollner
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
Warsaw
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We spent here one night. Hotel is nice and comfortable. Very clean. Attraction for kids is a parrot in the reception.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank magik25
'Merican
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Very convenient location. Quiet. I didn't like the funky bed with two twin mattresses. Large buffet breakfast, but distinctly lower in quality than what you get across the street at Auer Brot. No hotel services during the weekend. I had to ask the staff to let me into the laundry room to iron shirts myself. Hotel restaurant was also closed on the weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Mosta
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Been to Austria in mid Aug 2008 for 10 days and spent the last 3 nights in this hotel, with my wife and 16 year old son. This was the best hotel of the 3 we used during our stay. All of the staff were very helpful and spoke very good English.

Our room was large, very comfortable and clean including the ensuite bath/shower and WC. Breakfast was wonderful with a wide variety. The room had an A/C, mini-bar, safe and good satellite tv. It also had a trousers iron. The furniture was in very good condition and modern. The room also had double glazed windows and was very peaceful.
We also had a free wi-fi connection in all rooms and a PC was also available in the hall of the 1st floor which could be used for internet/emails and other stuff.

The location is excellent and the centre can be easily reached by a 5 minute walk. Bus stops are just in front of the hotel and they are frequent and efficient. Eating out in Graz is not a problem as there are plenty of good restaurants in the centre, we had a good dinner at Don Camillo in a side street of Hauptplatz

If I ever visit Graz again I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Friendliness, Cleaniness, breakfast and location
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sgouder
Sarajevo
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I first reviewed this hotel in July 2006, based on a very good first impression when my family and I booked an apartment there.

Most of what I wrote then still holds true -- the apartments in the hotel are definitely superior to the regular rooms, and a bargain in the center of Graz if you need the space.

However, since I wrote that review, I have been back to Gollner three times. Two out of those three times, I have had major problems getting them to honor my booking. I must therefore revise my original rating.

In December 2006, I used booking.com to reserve an apartment between Christmas and New Year's. On arrival, I gave them my booking confirmation, and they gave us the key. We went up to what we thought was an apartment, to discover it was just a regular business room. Back down to reception, where I pointed out I had reserved an apartment. They informed me there was no apartment available for all four nights of our reservation. We didn't have anywhere else to stay, so we had to take a regular room, which was very inconvenient. They also did not want to give us a lower price, complaining that the rate I had for the apartment from booking.com was already lower than their regular room rate. No one ever offered an explanation or much of an apology, and booking.com was not able to do anything about the situation.

In July 2008, we returned to Gollner, booking an apartment through ratestogo.com, because I hadn't had any problems using them before. As we walked into the lobby, I recognized the desk clerk as being the same person on the desk in December 2006, and immediately had a bad feeling. Sure enough, he gave me a key without saying anything, but I immediately recognized by the room number that it was not for an apartment. I pointed out that our reservation was for an apartment. He already had a copy of the booking behind the desk, and he pretended to study it closely, even though it said "APARTMENT" in bold letters, then said there was no apartment available. I went ballistic, and pointed out this was the second time this had happened.

After some time, he finally said we could get an apartment the next day, and again since we had nowhere else to go, we had to take the regular room for the night. Again, I never got any real explanation or apology.

I think it's safe to bet that the hotel holds low rate internet bookings only as long as no one else shows up ready to pay full price. So, I strongly advise anyone not booking directly with the hotel to be sure to confirm your reservation directly with the hotel, ideally via e-mail so you get it in writing. Still, don't be surprised if you show up and they don't give you what you booked.

I will not be returning.

• Liked — Apartments are good value, when they actually give you what you booked
  • Disliked — Hotel will give your apartment to the highest bidder
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MarkBowen