“Confirm your reservation directly”
Review of Hotel Gollner

Hotel Gollner
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Sarajevo
“Confirm your reservation directly”
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I first reviewed this hotel in July 2006, based on a very good first impression when my family and I booked an apartment there.

Most of what I wrote then still holds true -- the apartments in the hotel are definitely superior to the regular rooms, and a bargain in the center of Graz if you need the space.

However, since I wrote that review, I have been back to Gollner three times. Two out of those three times, I have had major problems getting them to honor my booking. I must therefore revise my original rating.

In December 2006, I used booking.com to reserve an apartment between Christmas and New Year's. On arrival, I gave them my booking confirmation, and they gave us the key. We went up to what we thought was an apartment, to discover it was just a regular business room. Back down to reception, where I pointed out I had reserved an apartment. They informed me there was no apartment available for all four nights of our reservation. We didn't have anywhere else to stay, so we had to take a regular room, which was very inconvenient. They also did not want to give us a lower price, complaining that the rate I had for the apartment from booking.com was already lower than their regular room rate. No one ever offered an explanation or much of an apology, and booking.com was not able to do anything about the situation.

In July 2008, we returned to Gollner, booking an apartment through ratestogo.com, because I hadn't had any problems using them before. As we walked into the lobby, I recognized the desk clerk as being the same person on the desk in December 2006, and immediately had a bad feeling. Sure enough, he gave me a key without saying anything, but I immediately recognized by the room number that it was not for an apartment. I pointed out that our reservation was for an apartment. He already had a copy of the booking behind the desk, and he pretended to study it closely, even though it said "APARTMENT" in bold letters, then said there was no apartment available. I went ballistic, and pointed out this was the second time this had happened.

After some time, he finally said we could get an apartment the next day, and again since we had nowhere else to go, we had to take the regular room for the night. Again, I never got any real explanation or apology.

I think it's safe to bet that the hotel holds low rate internet bookings only as long as no one else shows up ready to pay full price. So, I strongly advise anyone not booking directly with the hotel to be sure to confirm your reservation directly with the hotel, ideally via e-mail so you get it in writing. Still, don't be surprised if you show up and they don't give you what you booked.

I will not be returning.

• Liked — Apartments are good value, when they actually give you what you booked
  • Disliked — Hotel will give your apartment to the highest bidder
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank MarkBowen
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 16 June 2008

well, i have nothing special to tell about this hotel.
its location is just perfect if you are in graz as a tourist.
the staff is really kind and friendly.
the interior design is quite poor, looks like a hotel from the late seventies.
the breakfast is good.
so, this is an ok hotel, but not a four star.

• Liked — its location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bistvan
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We just stayed in one of this hotel's apartments for a long weekend with our 5-month old baby.

The apartment was perfect for our needs and the staff offered to give us a different apartment than the one booked so that we would have access to kitchen facilities. We found the Reception staff to be very welcoming and helpful.

The location of the hotel is fantastic - only a five minute walk to the centre of Graz.

• Liked — Great location for visiting central Graz
  • Disliked — Slightly hard to find initially due to the one-way system!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Claire2Tom
London
Reviewed 6 July 2007

As some reviewers have been less than impressed with this hotel, I thought I should share my own very good experience.

I wanted to take my elderly parents to Graz (my father had been stationed there after the War) and noticed, from its website, that the hotel offers apartments, including use of a kitchenette which seemed a suitable option for 3 people for a week, especially as we didn't always want to eat out. I booked one direct with the hotel and was very satisfied.

The hotel is in a very central location and so it's easy to get everywhere, whether walking or using Graz's excellent public transport. The apartment seemed newly furbished, was clean and comfortable with a very nice view over a rose garden. It also had air-conditioning and use of a roof terrace for sitting, quite an advantage with daily temperatures of 30 centigrade plus.

Breakfast was included: a good and plentiful selection of the usual Austro-German type of breakfast with friendly and efficient service by pleasant ladies.

Reception staff were English speaking and always helpful and courteous.

Graz has many really good or at least solidly reliable restaurants serving Styrian, Austrian or more international fare and the prices seemed to me to offer very good value for money. For Styrian-Austrian cooking I'd recommend Stainzerbauer near the Cathedral, but there are others. For self-catering or even just a snack, the daily market in the Kaiser-Josef-Platz (a stone's throw from the Gollner) is really excellent. Farm fresh produce sold by the farmer (or at least the farmer's wife, mother or grandmother !) and good "fast" food stalls that are nothing like McDonalds.

An interesting and relaxed city well worth visiting. We were there for culture (including the Opera House) and memories, but the city has a student population of over 20 to 30000 so there's plenty for young adults too.

No complaints at all about the Gollner and I'd happily stay there again.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff, central location, good accomodation
  • Disliked — No complaints at all
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank St.Pancras
cork ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2007

Stayed in the Gollner for the second time, the last being about four years ago. Very good quality but at €110.00 per night including breakfast the value was bordering on the marginal. Breakfast very good on first morning as I dined about 0730, but on the second morning still very good but less of a choice as I did not arrive until nearer 10.00. Single room was adequate, very clean and comfortable and a nice bathroom. Very sparing with shampoo and the towels on the small size. Bed comfortable, TV with 41 stations but only CNN in English. Safe in the wardrobe and no mini bar, not a loss in my opinion as always overpiced and of doubtful benefit. . Staff very friendly and professional. Location very central in terms of the City and the transport network. Plenty of shopping locally and staff more than willing to suggesta activities.
Would recommend for a business visit but had not looked at it from the perspective of a family holiday but would investigate if travelling to Graz on holiday.

• Liked — Clean comfortable and great location. Free internet wireless access in rooms
  • Disliked — Single room somewhat small
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business