“Unexpected and deliciously unique”
Review of Cook

Cook
Ranked #7 of 495 Restaurants in Linz
Cuisines: Asian, Scandinavian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

Our meal was from the daily menu and was exquisite. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and the seasoning was unique and perfect. Looking for something unique in Linz come here.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Looking for something original and creative, we found Cook during our brief stay in Linz. The restaurant is small, maybe 8 tables, and staffed by the proprietors. The menu is a blend of Austrian with a Scandinavian influence. We started with smoked salmon, followed by for my partner tuna on stir fry noodles, which was perfect. I had beef brisket with chanterelles which was equally lovely. The beer selection was eclectic local. I had a ginger vermouth beer made nearby that was well done and interesting. I’d recommend this restaurant for a welcome change from grill and deep fry.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

I don't often write negative reviews but I believe in criticism where criticism is due and can't let this one pass. As many reviewers here on TripAdvisor have pointed out yes, the cooking at Cook is refreshingly eclectic and remarkably varied for such a tiny, house-facing kitchen. However, that doesn't excuse the owners from remembering the basics. Eating out is not just about food.

Our party of two adults and two twelve year-olds was made to wait almost an hour before anything edible was put on the table. No explanation and no olives, no bread, nothing to keep our appetites amused and expectant for what should never, I repeat, never be more than a 30min wait for the first dish in any restuarant. When it finally arrived, the food - a salad as a main, two woks and a curry - were well-presented, freshly cooked and reasonably flavoursome although the noodles were rather dry, the curry perhaps excessively runny (remember, no bread) and there was a  general overabundance of coriander. I love coriander but...
Our kids would usually mop up  any adult-size noodle dish in minutes; they both left half of the offering at Cook. Not a good sign.

Under normal conditions we would have stayed for a brownie and maybe sampled the other desserts but that would have been pushing our luck. The restaurant was busy, not full but other diners also seemed to be kept waiting. I went to pay and got the final insult. I was expecting the usual Great Austrian Bottled Water Rip-off but 5.50€ for a bottle of still?  Oh come on! Restaurants charging more for water than they do for their wine or beer is just taking the p...!

I expressed my disappointment to one of the owners and to give him his due, he accompanied me to the door explaining how sorry he was, that the waiter was new and that they'd been taken by surprise by 8 tables all arriving at once. He pointed out that tap water is available on request and that customers can choose to donate to an NGO that provides clean water to villages in Africa. It would have been nice to know this when we ordered.

So my advice to the owners. Your food looks exciting but if you know it's going to take a little longer to prepare and your kitchen isn't capable of handling 10-12 tables reasonably quickly then have a plan B - get some olives or bread out there, factor it into your pricing if you must but don't leave your customers hungry for too long. Remember that no normal person feels happy about paying through the nose for water. Again, put your margin somewhere else, offer tap water and make sure everyone knows about your Africa initiative. Finally, don't blame your staff for your failings. The waiter was a nice, friendly guy who seemed to be trying to do his best. With the right training he'll be fine.

I hope other customers have a better experience than we did. We won't be back as we're just passing through but it would be nice to think you'd donated our excess water charge to that NGO..

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank SwiftSA
Reviewed 21 June 2018

Two brothers are the geniuses behind this small restaurant; one is the chef and the other is the server and host. They focus on locally sourced produce, meat, fresh pasta, etc, etc. Inventive and deliciously prepared and presented with reasonable prices. Nice small wine list, as well.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Wonderful little restaurant, great atmosphere and quite a unique experience. The two brothers who run it are extremely friendly and we had a great evening out dining at Cook for my wife’s birthday. The food was delicious. We had fillet steak and sliced deer shank with vegetables. The meat was super soft and tasty and the veggies were fresh and well prepared. Great value for money.

Date of visit: April 2018