“Lovely”
Review of Promenadenhof

Promenadenhof
Ranked #1 of 12 Dessert in Linz
Cuisines: Austrian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadtviertel
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Nice dinner on a summer evening. The food was great, well presented and lots of choice. A very pleasant evening.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Beautiful restaurant, good service and good Austrian food.
There's inside or outside tables and it is a reasonable price.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

First off, the food here is great! Especially typical Austrian dishes like Schnitzel or Kaiserschmarrn (one of the best I have ever had). However, the service is.. how should I put it.. not that great. Although the waiter quickly took my order, he showed very little or almost no enotions. No 'enjoy your meal!' type of phrases, no smiles. Also it seemed like he spoke in a Slavic language with his colleagues? That was a bit weird. However, if you do not put too much value into service but more into food then I recommend you visiting. It is nevertheless considered as one of the best restaurants in Linz.

Also they have a lovely beer garden which is open in spring/summer!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Perhaps we were spoiled during our previous dinner out (Zaffran) whereby the service was first-rate: combined with excellent food.
I'm still kind of at odds on how to rate Promenadenhof.
First off - the restaurant itself is quite beautiful and laid-out in different sections. And very busy. For a Tuesday night we were surprised just how busy.
Food was hit and miss for the most part. My pork 'tomahawk steak' dish was very good. My wife's Zander dish was problematic and frustrating for her as there were quite a lot of bones she had to continually pick out. This was unusual for us here in Europe.
The dessert however was a hit. After watching various tables receive their desserts we decided upon the "Karusell" - a small tasting of various offerings. All were fantastic.
The service? Hmmmmmm
Not sure how to put my finger on it.
We've been traveling through Europe quite a few times since 2009 and are aware of the differences between service expectations in North America versus here. Service here can sometimes be misconstrued by travelers from NA as aloof and ambivalent. Not taking into consideration that servers here, while they do receive some form of tip - they don't rely on it as necessarily part of their wage (as they do in NA). Therefore they are not OVERLY attentive (aka hustling for that 20% gratuity) and keen for a high turnover.
That all being said...
Both my wife and I couldn't help feeling the service here was lacking. And I couldn't shake the feeling that our server just didn't like/respect us. Particularly when he added another 2€ to his more than ample gratuity. Bill was 73€
Gave him 100€ and asked him to make it 78€
He gave me 20€ and walked away
Sad and funny all at once. However I wasn't prepared to make a scene over 2€.
In the end we walked out feeling like our business wasn't particularly appreciated by the staff - apart from the hostess who was friendly and accommodating - which is somewhat you never want as a restaurateur.
I have NEVER said this before but perhaps if you're a local it's a different experience
Too bad

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 16 June 2017

I like their Schnitzel, their Tafelspitz, their food generally, but I cannot get proper service at this place. Last time I ordered some red meat and asked for a glass of red wine to come with it when it was served. When the food was delivered the wine did not come. When I asked whether my wine was coming, I was met with a shrug, when I had eaten two thirds of my meal and asked again the waiter said that they were out of the wine. No "I am sorry or what else can I get you." Today I ordered some tap water with my beer - I know a tricky thing to do in Austria - but everyone at the table had ordered a drink and I wanted it for not having to drink my beer for thirst. The water did not come. I asked for it again and was met with a shrug, no apology. When I had almost finished my beer I got up to get the water myself. Just when the waiter was about to bring it. His comment "You are an impatient person." I should have said: and you are in the wrong profession...

Date of visit: June 2017