“Not Great but Not Terrible - Service Needs Improvement”

Monte-Carlo Bay & Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The hotel was well maintained. We found the room service staff to be pleasant. The rooms are a bit small. I should preface these remarks by saying that we went from Paris where we stayed in the George V to this hotel. Ordinarily, the shortcomings of this hotel would not be as annoying. However, our perspective is somewhat skewed by the almost flawless execution of service and hosting one will find at Goerge V.

We made friends with one of the bellmen who took excellent care of us - which turned out to be very helpful when we needed something since the concierge and front desk seemed less willing to help. The concierge was ok though somewhat disappointing. The reception desk was simply rude at check in. I speak conversational level French and spoke to her in both English and French. Eventually, I had to treat her as rudely as she treated us to effect some change in her behavior.

The hotel has a great pool area - nice facility with several options including a sand bottom. But, they must send their pool staff to moron school or something. The waiter was nice, but the pool boys who cleaned and straightened the place were in need of serious tutoring on how to treat guests. They were mostly rude and treated guests as an inconvenience. The hotel also has the strangest and silliest pool towel process I have ever encountered. Considering how inexpensive pool towels are, I suspect they spend more tracking the towel than the towels are worth. The system seems as though it was designed by an engineer who was instructed by the hotel accountant to find a way to reduce towel theft - at any cost.

The food with room service was decent - the fois gras was actually pretty good and more than one could eat.

The rooms were small as is the custom in Europe. I had a suite and found it nice but small.

The television channel selection was somewhat limited.

We will probably return next year despite the above so it was not all bad. Also, we have heard that it is not much better at the other hotels in town.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PRCOX1963
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 July 2009

Stayed one night, 7/26/09. Arrived after taking multiple flights over the previous 24 hours. Paid for night with cash and was due change. The front desk person said he would just keep the change as a credit on the room and that I would get it back the next day at checkout. I was tired and not thinking straight so I did not ask why he could not give me my change right then. I got a receipt indicating that the room was paid for.

Hotel itself is very nice. Very modern. However, my room was very small in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at. I recently stayed at a Hyatt that had rooms almost double the size. Nice furnishings but not worth anywhere near the price that I paid. Bed was not comfortable, sheets were very rough and hard.

That evening I went to the front desk and requested a late checkout of 2:00. I was told that would not be a problem and that it would be noted. That night I had a lot of trouble sleeping because of jetlag and I didn't get to sleep until almost 6:00 am. At 8:15, the doorbell (yes, there is a doorbell) woke me up. Before I could drag myself to the door; it flew open and in walked housekeeping. When she saw me she immediately walked out. I was able to fall asleep again only to be once again awakened by the doorbell at 11:00. This time I was able to get to the door before it flew open and once again, it was housekeeping. By this time I was more than a bit annoyed. I called the front desk and they said yes, I was marked for a late checkout. So, why was housekeeping in such a hurry to get me out of there? I thought it was very rude. I gave up on trying to sleep and decided to check out.

Now back to my change that was due. I turned in my key to the front desk and was told everything was paid on my bill. I said I was due change and I explained the whole story. What do you know...I was told there was no note or any indication that I had a credit. Then the young girl said "Maybe you charged a meal to your room or maybe you got your money back yesterday." I told her that I think I would remember if I charged a meal to my room and no, I did not get the money when I checked in. By this time the front desk manager came over and he again asked me "Are you sure you didn't get it yesterday?" Unbelieveable. Finally he told the young girl to give it to me. She took it out of the till and handed it to me. I knew she didn't give me all of it so I counted it in front of her. Sure enough, it was short. She unfolded her hand, and there was the rest. And this is a five star hotel? Never again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
9  Thank AlamoCityLady
Reviewed 27 July 2009

A friend's wedding brought us to Monte Carlo a bit spontaneously as we hadn't planned on visiting MC until a few years. Nevertheless, the timing was superb and I can't stop raving about this vacation. This hotel in particular is the newest of all of the hotels in MC and is absolutely IMMACULATE. I urge anyone who has the funds and time to go experience it for themself. We had a beautiful room w/ a terrace overlooking part of the sea and the mountain side, which as you'll see below was BREATHTAKING. The staff was more than PERFECT. The breakfast was delicious, and the three pools were one of a kind. On a scale of 1-10, this place deserves a 25.

The one and only snafu we ran into was upon checking in.. we arrived at the hotel at around 9-ish and were told to wait quite a bit for the room to be prepared since check out was at noon (I believe). Nevertheless, when we followed up w/ a manager, we were immediately taken to our majestic room on the eighth floor. This is really a great place to stay and the staff will do EVERYTHING to make sure that you will not walk away disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FREQUENT-FLYAH
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon and were very impressed. The room was huge with a gorgeous view and a massive wardrobe. We got a room service meal one night which was actually quite reasonably priced and very tasty. The staff overall were ok, just not all that friendly on a whole and a bit sniffy. The buffet breakfast was decent enough but not really worth paying the full price for (we had it included). There was a supermarket nearby (15 mins walk) that was great for lunch stuff and cheap wine. The fitness centre was well kitted out and the pools were great. There was a shuttle bus to the Hotel de Paris which was really handy. Spent one night in Jimmyz which was totally over-rated. For food avoid Bar & Boeuf - it is over priced and has the feel of a canteen. Zelos was a great restaurant and had a really relaxed vibe.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awb2013
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel. We were a little worried that we may be disappointed since we don't generally like large hotels. We were wrong. We loved it! We had a corner room facing both the Monte Carlo Beach Hotel and the pool. It was perfect! The room was spacious, modern and in perfect condition. This was our second visit to Monte Carlo so we didn't do much sightseeing this time, which worked out great because we LOVED the pool so that's where we spent most of our time. We had no problem getting a lounger and umbrella even though the hotel was fully booked. We also found the service to be excellent even though there was a french film being taped at the hotel as well as the beginning of the Tour de France, so it was very busy. We would definitely return to this hotel. It made our trip to Monte Carlo!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple