“Sport Hotel Village - could be so good with some training”

Sport Hotel Village
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Soldeu
London
“Sport Hotel Village - could be so good with some training”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here for a week over half term and the location is the best you will get. The restaurant food was Ok but at times dodgy as 2 in our party fell sick. The staff in the restuarant were lovely, happy and courteous. Shame the same cannot be said about the reception staff who really were surly and did not know much. When ever we asked them a question it had to be referred to someone else. We had been told to see a lady callled Ms Nunez on arrival and having chased her every day without any success, I had to ask to see the manager before she afforded us a call! Which was of no help at all.
Do not Book transfers with them as they cannot get your name right even though you are on their system. We waited around the airport for 20 mins for our driver. When we phoned the hotel they said, he had left as we were late (10 minutes!) and then they said he was stuck in traffice and finally they realised he was at the airport with an incorrect name tag. NO APOLOGY GIVEN!
When you travel with children these are the types of things that really annoy you. NOT sure I will be returning there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank travelbugget
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Returned today after an 8 day skiing holiday in Soldieu Andorra. The skiing was great especially for beginners. Our instructor Robin was the best we've had. However the Sport Hotel Village was very disappointing. The majority of the staff, particularly on reception were unwelcoming and unhelpful. They rarely smile and often seem put out if you ask for anything. There is a Spa at the sister hotel next door that my husband and I visited once. It cost us 102 euros which included 12 euros for compulsory flip flops and 3 euros for a compulsory blue swimming hat which you had to wear all the time. The Jacuzzis weren't hot and there was no shampoo and conditioner (just body wash) or decent hairdryers. Also the children werent allowed to use the pool, which left them very little to do when not skiing. They couldn't even watch TV in the room as there are very few channels in English. The rooms were very small the only good things were the view of the mountains which was beautiful and the lovely lady who cleaned the room, one of the few cheerful members of staff.

We were half board and the restaurant is a buffet. The breakfast was ok not great and the same goes for the evening. Half way through the week our youngest daughter felt really sick and spent the night vomiting we don't know exactly what caused it but the next day my husband spoke to a woman whose husband was in bed with food poisoning so we didn't go for dinner there again. The good thing about the restaurant was Mara who greets you each day, she was always cheerful and friendly. The drink waiters were also friendly.

One thing I forgot to say was that you have to pay to use the safe in your room which is ridiculous.

Soldieu itself has very little to it aside from skiing, we did however go mushing in El Tartare which is a 5 min drive down the road, really recommend that as it was great fun. Although we were charged 20 euros for the short cab ride there and 5.70 Euros coming back! Best catch the bus.

It is highly unlikely we will ever return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a mountain view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Craftymum971
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Just returned from a 1 week skiing holiday in Andorra staying in the Sport Village. Great hotel, great location, with the gondola and lockers next door. Even though breakfast&dinner was a buffet, I could not fault the choice or quality. The only bad comment I could make was that the hotel allows smoking in the lobby area, which was very disappointing as it was full of Russians chain smoking morning, noon and night. The price of drinks in the lobby is nearly twice the price as the Villager Pub next door. All in all, a beautiful, clean and great hotel where we hope to stay again, soon.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank BigT43ni
New York
Reviewed 17 January 2012

***If you care about transfer from Barcelona, you may want to skip to the asterisked part of this review

Ok - for starters, the location and layout of this hotel should earn it 4 or 5. And if you are looking to ski on the Grand Valeria mountain, I probably wouldn't stay anywhere else. But the rating of this hotel is really a three only because the staff doesn't understand the tourism industry.

My wife and I just returned from a stay at this hotel in January 2012. We are low-maintenance, very frequent travelers that have been to most European countries. We stayed in a junior suite with view of the mountain.

We enjoyed our stay, but it was a combination of some very good elements and some very bizarre elements. The bizarre elements ranged from not very impactful to unacceptable but here is my breakdown:

Location - literally unbeatable. The gondala for the mountain is attached to the hotel. If you get a mountain view room, you can see people skiing directly to the elevator which brings you back in the hotel. One of the coolest things I have experienced on a ski trip. The convenience is a huge plus and although there are two other sister hotels, this one is the best bang for the buck because it is both attached to the spa and the shortest walk to the gondala, ski rental shop and lockers.

Bizarre twist - the reception desk has no trail maps of the mountain. Huh? Also, the reception desk can sell you and print out lift tickets but you have to solve a mystery to figure out how to get them to do this for you. Also, the hotel provides you with a free ski locker but if you didn't ask them for it, you would never know it. Same goes with the ski rental shop, Ski Calbos - it is located right beneath the hotel (and they are amazingly nice and helpful) but you almost have to pull someone's teeth at the reception to get them to disclose the location.

Overall, I would just say that they are not very forthcoming with information. If they understood tourism a little better, upon check-in they would say, "Welcome to Sport Village. Here is a map of the mountain and a ticket for you ski locker. The ski locker is located across the street - take this brown ticket with you and give it to the attendant. Do you have lift tickets? If not, I can take care of that for you right here and all you need to do is take this to the gondala located downstairs".

Not that we need a whole lot of hand holding, but offering no information led to a lot of confusion. We went to the lockers without a ticket and had to back track to get it. Then we went downstairs to the normal sale window of the lift tickets, waited in line and handed them the brown ticket from our room only to be told that we needed to go back to the hotel reception to get our lift ticket. It ended up costing us an hour to an hour and a half of ski time for something that should have been seamless and convenient.

Room - very good. Very spacious and the views of the mountain are breathtaking. The beds are on the firmer side and the pillows are narrow, but overall the rooms are nice and clean. The bathroom has a very long layout and a separate room for the toilet (which I love) and the toilet has a decent bidet (which I love more). The shower pressure and temperature are very good and our room came with a jacuzzi in the bathroom which was not just a narrow bathtub with jets. The jacuzzi was probably twice the width of a standard bathtub and the jets were legitimate jacuzzi jets with nice volcano jets on the bottom as well as adjustable side jets.

Bizarre twist - the designer of the bathroom forgot to put soap holders both in the shower and by the sink. We ended up putting our soap in a glass by the sink and making a makeshift bag out of the shower cap and tying it to the shower handle for the shower. The shower is narrow so leaving the soap on the floor of the shower would lead to you bumping the faucet handle and shutting the shower off every time you went to grab it. As it is, you end up bumping the handle a lot anyway during the course of your shower and unexpectedly change the temperature or pressure. Just a poor design.

The television was also very small and very old. It is also placed in the living room and cannot be seen from the bedroom. If you are English speaking, this won't matter anyway, because the limited channels offer next to nothing watchable. My advice is to bring a book.

Food - very good to excellent. The food is buffet style in the hotel restaurant, and they offer a very wide range of foods. At breakfast, they have an eggs to order chef and at dinner, the chef will prepare fish or beef to order. The buffet has various soups, potatoes, pastas, meats, etc and most of the things we tried were cooked very well. The first night we were there (a Saturday), they had a crepe preparer for dessert and the crepes were outstanding. The second night, there were no crepes but that allowed us to try the tarts at dessert and they were heavenly. There were several other desserts offered as well and they all looked pretty good.

Plus, the staff at the restaurant were way beyond accomodating. We arrived for breakfast after they were closing due to a time zone change error on our part, but the staff somehow arranged for us to get a full breakfast complete with eggs to order, fruit juices etc. One of the managers was actually stopping people as they were putting stuff away so we could be accomodated. The staff at the restaurant is really one of the highlights of the hotel.

Bizarre twist - the seating arrangement was just weird. The restaurant basically assigns you a table for your stay. While I see what they are trying to do by making you feel special with your own table, it was just my wife and I and all the tables close to the windows are either 6-person or 12-person tables. Because we were too few to be "assigned" one of those tables, we could never get a nice view. Even if it was the end of the food service and there were 15 empty tables by the windows. No big deal, just a little weird.

Skiing - excellent. The gondala takes you to the middle of the mountain in Soldeu. Most of the trails can be handled by beginner to intermediate types. They make a lot of snow on trails and generally the mountain is navigable without getting too lost. Most trails are very wide and when we were there most of the mountain was open. The views are simply amazing and there are ample restaurants and bars around the mountain for breaks. One bar in particular to the right of Soldeu if you are getting off of the gondala offers great music, comfortable seating, great views of the mountain and a place to recharge your phone. Good stuff

Bizarre twist - every trail has at least one part of it which is way more difficult than beginner level, whether it is a steep drop, icy conditions or moguls. There is basically no uniform trail on the entire mountain. My advice - if you are a beginner skiier, you better know how to snowplow. Also, even though they make a lot of snow on the mountain, the lift areas are complete sheets of ice with a long way to get to the actual lift which makes it quite difficult to even get to the lift. Some of them are even on an incline, so while you are trying to get the gate at the lift to read your lift pass, you start to slide back down and away from the turnstyle. They really should put some snow there.

Spa - below average. While the spa looks amazing and has a very nice heated pool with an outdoor jacuzzi connected to the indoor pool via a flap entrance, we were turned off by some of the way they handled things there. First, the good parts - there is a floor which just has various steam rooms, saunas and showers which is really nice and relaxing. The bottom floor with the enormous heated pool has various waterfalls and water sprays that are very nice and work as above water massages. There are also some areas that have jacuzzi jets underwater inside as well as the outdoor part that I mentioned.

Bizarre twist - they make you buy their stupid flip-flops in order to enter for 12 euros. It costs 34 euros for three hours already and I could not understand why they wouldn't let me in with just socks. What upset me most was that I was forced to buy a pair even though the largest size they had was 3 sizes too small for me and I couldn't even squeeze my foot past the bottom half of the slipper so the shoes have absolutely zero re-use value for me. If they just charged 46 euros for three hours and gave us the flip-flops for "free", I probably wouldn't have been upset about it. But forcing me to pay extra for something I can't use and don't need rubbed me the wrong way since it wasn't my fault that they didn't have my size.

The second problem with our spa visit was the massage. My wife and I booked a couples massage and specified that we both wanted women masseuses. When it came time for the massage, there was one woman and one man. When we showed them our receipt, it clearly showed two women but they said that one of the women we had booked was working. Huh? So then why did you assign her to us at this time then? We paid over 200 euro for the couple massage and since they had clearly made an error in booking, we asked to cancel the massage and get a refund. For whatever reason, they did not want to refund us the money at all. They first tried to convince us that they themselves would prefer to have a man massage them (great, but what does that have to do with us?). Then they convinced us that the spa receptionist could replace the man because she was also trained in massage. That ended up being a lie. We basically paid 200 euros for one good massage and one weak rub down - total waste of money all around.

***Transport to Andorra from Barcelona - we used Novatel which was convenient getting to Andorra as the bus leaves directly from the airport. However, we had a horrible, horrible mishap trying to get back. We asked the hotel receptionist about how we could get back to the bus station for our 5am bus back to Barcelona the next day. Instead of arranging for a taxi to pick us up, she called Novatel directly. The receptionist said that Novatel could come pick us up directly from the hotel at 4:15am for an additional cost of 22 euros a person (which was not a good deal because it was 44 euros for two versus a taxi which is 27 euros; on top of that, the 3 hour ride to Barcelona is 21 euros, but the additional 15 minutes from the hotel to the bus station is 22 euros?). However, the added convenience of being picked up at the hotel was appealing so we booked it anyway. The next morning no bus showed and to top it all off, there was no one at the office to answer the phone to help us figure out what was going on. We ended up calling for a taxi at 4:30am which didn't arrive to the hotel until 4:52am. We speed raced to the bus station only to miss the 5am bus by 5 to 10 mins which was a problem because missing the bus could have set off a chain reaction of events that may have left us stranded in Andorra, Barcelona or London on our way back to New York. Luckily, Eurolines had a 6:15am bus AND an office at the bus station which was open (it would have been nice had Novatel had an office there or even someone to answer a phone anywhere). We ended up making our flight out of Barcelona and getting home on time, but if you are flying into Barcelona I would use Eurolines and not Novatel even though Eurolines is 33 euros versus Novatel's 21 euros.
***

Overall, I would recommend this hotel highly. I just wish they could get their act together a little better. My wife and I had a saying the whole weekend where we would say, "Just another example of something that makes you say (in a sympathetic voice), 'Oh, Andorra'..."

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank cdoublexi
Scotland
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This hotel is a beautiful large log cabin high up in the Pyrenees. The rooms were very clean, well decorated and had very comfortable beds. The view from our room was breathtaking, looking on to the cable car lift further up the mountain and every room has a balcony. There are a lot of informal groups of comfy armchairs around tables in the foyer, which is part reception area, part bar and part residents lounge. The food is buffet style and there is plenty of choice. There was no noise disturbance during the night and we spent four nights here with a touring group.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LindaSi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldeu
0.2 km away
0.2 km away
Himalaia Soldeu
Himalaia Soldeu
#5 of 17 in Soldeu

Been to Sport Hotel Village? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK