Larger hotels, with 200 kids screaming around a swimming really didn't seem like a holiday to me, and so we went looking at smaller, but still well equipped hotels, not even having a final destination in mind. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided that Cyprus was the place to go, and in particular, this hotel.
I must say we weren't disappointed.
First, the bad points, because really, that's all people are interested in:
1. Not so much for kids to do. After booking, we received an email saying they had removed the kiddies play area and added a "hydro-contact pool". It's nice for the adults, but, having a small baby and a 10 year old, we really would have preferred more for them to do.
2. Distance from the nearest sandy beach. Although the bus service is good (albeit it very busy at times). The hotel is situated a good 15-20 minute walk from the nearest beach. 20-25 mins from the nearest sandy one. (Yes, we knew this when booking, but the point still stands).
3. Apartment arrangement. Having a baby, it would have been nice to have a separate room for him, but again, we knew this before booking, and decided to still go. Most hotels are the same, you get a cot in your room, but with 4 people, (my son slept on the bed-couch in the main living area), it did get a little cramped.
That's really it for the bad points. Some other minor niggles, like paying for the WiFi, although at 10 euros for 3 hours accumulative, it worked out pretty cheap. I only ever went online for 5-10 mins at a time, and appreciated the fact that I could get away from my emails for a while.
Ok, the main plus points.
1. The staff, and in particular, Andreas, were absolutely fabulous. Nothing was too much, and all were very polite, helpful, and pleasant to talk to.
2. The food. We opted to go half-board, and wow. All the food was freshly prepared, and the staff were constantly checking the levels to make sure nothing became stale or dry. A suggestion: Consider doing a "first meal free" for people, especially those on self-catering. I'm pretty sure the cost to the hotel would be minimal, and I'd be surprised if people didn't come back after sampling it once.
3. The location. Yes, I know I griped about the distance to the beach up there, but by being set back from the main road, this hotel becomes a nice quiet place to relax at night, whilst still being within walking distance of most bus routes.
4. The rooms. Well equipped, clean, and well maintained. The cleaning staff were courteous and friendly, although a little quick to enter after knocking, (on more than one occasion me or my wife had to rush to keep our modesty after getting back from the pool, or getting out of the shower).
5. The pool area. The hydro-contact pool was a nice place to relax after the kids had gone to bed, and the main pool and kiddie pool were clean, and had ample seating and sun-loungers around to accommodate all guests. Most days the staff brought some complimentary sample sized drinks or snacks from the bar too. What a lovely touch.
All in all, this was an amazing holiday. Thank you so much to you all, and thank you Andreas, (I know you have to reply now!), for the photo with my baby Casey, he'll still remember you for a long time I'm sure, as will we.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A wonderfully welcoming, 4-star luxury hotel in Paphos, Cyprus, boasting an environment which is devoid of the anxiety associated with everyday life. Our facilities are the perfect setting to reconnect with loved ones, enhance personal relationships and give yourself some much-deserved peace of mind. What truly sets us apart however, is our strong commitment to personal service. Here, we all make the time to notice you, to hear you, to respect you, to understand you and to comfort you. If you are looking for a hotel with a heart, then you belong with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your The King Jason Paphos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Louis King Jason Paphos