“Great food but long menu”
Review of Margo's

Margo's
Ranked #68 of 298 Restaurants in Valletta
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 17
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Perfection. It is a strong, subjective, controversial and hard-to-define concept. But we are driven by that Holy Grail - to create the perfect pizza. Sometimes we get it right. No. Most times we get it right. Every single detail is taken care of. Leave nothing to chance. Every single pizza has to be a work of art. Every single pizza has to be a masterpiece. Every single pizza has to be as if it was your last pizza while on death row.
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has really good food but their menu is so long and complicated to read. We spent 15 minutes reading the menu to chose our pizza and dessert. Don’t be scared by their long description, the food is very good.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

I was there in mid April with some friends and business partners and we decided to have a nice dinner and i few drinks. One of the locals recommended Margo's to us and we had no choice then to try it out. The food was delicious especially the pizzas for affordable prices. The waiter was very friendly and the whole staff was awesome and helpful. I am a big fan of Neapolitan cuisine and I wasn't disappointing. I would recommend this place to everyone that has a good taste.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

I couldn’t help but notice the cook’s attitude towards a client when she complained her mozzarella was gone. As far as I know the client is always right and he insisted on saying it’s good & where it came from. I mean seriously!? as though she’s an ignorant person who has never eaten mozzarella before or worse still was lying!!

Once at it I will add that we weren’t too impressed with the food either and seeing the hopeless and rude attitude from the cook ( I can’t get myself to say ‘chef’) we definitely won’t be going back to this place.

2  Thank deelotus476
claudecamilleri, Owner at Margo's, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Dear Dee M.
Thank you for your comment.
My name is Claude and I was the cook and I admit that I have problem with suffering fools gladly.
I am the one who did your pizza which you ate and you were the ones who returned the completely clean plates, I am guessing.
I kind of was not privy of the conversation and when I overheard the lady complained that the mozzarella was hard, I explained that we drain the buffalo mozzarella before we use it. Some of it we put on the pizza and some of it we use for salads. We get the finest mozzarella we can get in the volume that we use it.
Some of the mozzarella we smoke and use it for our pizza affumicata and our antipasti.
I had to rise my voice so the lady could hear me over the noise and everyone thought I was shouting at the customer (but I only was raising my voice because I repeated myself four times and the lady did not hear me, while I was making pizza).
The lady in question was saying that this was ricotta, so, I dropped everything and explained to her what we do and how we do it and that the mozzarella had just arrived from Caserta and that it cannot, under any circumstances, be bad. (As it transpired, the sous used the smoked version of the mozzarella instead of the unsmoked version). Went on to explain that we need to receive the mozzarella within 2 days of production otherwise we would not be able to use the mozzarella to put on the pizza, even though the mozzarella has a shelf life of 28 days. We had just thrown an entire shipment of mozzarella that was lost en route to us and arrived a week later.
To say that the customer is always right simply propagates ignorance.
In the end, when we found out what happened we went out to explain and apologise.
What we do is precious, intense and dedicate our complete life to it. To have a customer not knowing the difference between buffalo mozzarella, fior di latte or ricotta is a situation that needs to be addressed.
We are lauded for the effort we put into informing customers, to promote food education and to push the boundaries when it comes to understanding the food, the preparation, the commitment to quality.
It is sad and a tad rich to complain about the food when your plates returned empty and spotless.

Respectfully,

Claude the cook.

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

So probably a good place for some but really poor for us . Starters were a ceaser salad which was okay big lump of chicken and lettuce and pizza bones which was nothing like the menu description was a burnt pizza with seeds on it. Mains were a disaster none of the pasta on the menu was available to they agreed to make a carbonara which wasn’t good. If an Italian chef can’t make a white sauce it’s a worry what they served was a plate of pasta with a lot of ricotta cheese and some bacon sprinkled on the pizza was greasy and not like the menu - even the still water we asked for was fizzy! The reason for the 1 star is even though they could see the food hardly touched there was zero interest in asking if we were okay just the bill. I can take bad food it happens and maybe not to our taste but at least try and show some interest in learning . Also place full of flying ants I get it’s a hot country but eating in the street I have seen less than in here.

Many nicer places in Malta

1  Thank MJ388
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Delicious pizzas and coffees, made with the finest fresh LOCAL ingredients. Prices are affordable to medium, but the quality of the food is well worth it. Our waiter was very friendly, funny and helpful. Would definitely reccomend, especially if you’re a fan of Napoletan cuisine.