“A very good value in expensive Reykjavik!”
Review of 4th Floor Hotel

4th Floor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 55 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

I had an overnight layover in Reykjavik en route to business meetings in the United States. The connection was too short for me to comfortably make it, so I took advantage of the IcelandAir stopover program. I thought I would find a reasonable accommodation for the evening, and I chose the 4th Floor Hotel. I read the reviews and liked it position on Laugavegur Street. There really was a transition at that corner from a municipal street to a more pedestrian-first experience. I took a bus transfer from the airport which literally dropped me off at the front door via Reykjavik Excursions.

My check-in experience was great. Both of the guys working the desk and the lounge area were outstanding. They were efficient and very competent. I believe they certainly contributed to the fabled Icelandic friendliness, even though one was from Poland!

My room was really not that small, as I've read elsewhere. I was placed in room 409, logically on the fourth floor. Interestingly, there are also accommodations in the second floor which are clearly marked. Access is either by lift or a locked stairwell. Keys were given for the room, the front door of the hotel after hours as well as for the stairwell. The locking system of the room door was such that you were to lock it behind yourself as you departed the room.

My bed was very comfortable, the room temperature was moderate and the linens were spotless and crisp. Plenty of outlets allowed me to recharge all of the computers and tablets of the typical road warrior.

I had a medium sink in the room, so shaving was no problem. The toilet and shower facilities were shared. These were quite clean.

All in all, I think this is a very good value for this expensive island city. The overall experience was highlighted by the great staff, including the housekeeping professionals and all others I met. With such value, (and it's great proximity to the fun happenings of central Reykjavik) it is very easy to recommend the 4th Floor Hotel.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank Eurotraveler110

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Hotel itself is not something special, but we slept in Iceland in worse hotels for higher price. But personal was very kind and I haven't complains. And location is very good. So, in the end good selection for this price.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Stt161
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Reykjavik is an expensive city. This is one of the most reasonable 3 star hotels. Good place to spend a night or two. Good wifi connectivity, clean breakfast area downstairs. Rooms are small, but functional. Shared bathrooms and showers, but kept clean. Friendly front desk staff. Convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank John K
Reviewed 18 October 2017

The location was fantastic; the bus stop for tours was right next to the property. The girl working the front desk let us check in early even though it wasn't check in time- which was nice because we traveled overnight and was exhausted by the time we got to the hotel. There is a car rental company right onsite. The front desk can handle your bus pick up which is also very helpful. .
The rooms were very noisy. You needed a key to get in the front door, another to get to the wing of your room and another for the actual rooms and bathrooms- which is a logistical pain. The bathroom/shower and bedroom were each a separate room- again, another pain. Our shower curtain was off of the shower when we came back one day and was never replaced so we had to take a shower without a curtain- even though they came to clean and never saw it.

Room Tip: ask for room with connecting bathrooms if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2017

It's about relative value in an expensive town. I had low expectations when I realised it shared a building with a back packers guest house and the toilets were shared.
Having got over the reality of what I had purchased as a non refundable pre purchased on line , I actually enjoyed my stay!
The rooms are a bit noisy but ok, the single beds are saggy but the sheets are fresh and clean, the poo smell is actually the Sulfur in the hot water, the bathrooms are convenient and private but need refurbishing as the tiles and trims are cracked, yet well cleaned. I had a fantastic view and access to a terrace but the balustrade was built by an apprentice farm hand. Let's say the place has character and offers value for money for the flexible traveller who likes a little quirky character. The androgynous receptionist recovering from a nose bleed set the tone for the stay.....
But there is more: free breakfast . Well it's not great but quite satisfying if you don't mind the dishwater coffee. Not rushing back but would complain if I ended up there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple