2,238 results
All reviews frosted glass loft suite boutique hotel perfect location the main street friday and saturday center hotel steam room bring earplugs early check breakfast was included street noise mini bar standard room light sleeper happy hour the heart of the city
Reviewed 27 April 2016

Very small room made smaller by the stand alone bath. I picked the suite with the bath but it was not what I was expecting. Bathroom is small but stylish. The frosted glass sliding doors don't offer a lot of privacy so only share with someone you are very comfortable with.

Hotel and room finished to a high standard. Lovely spa facilities. Excellent staff who ensured we enjoyed our stay. Parking is easy just remember to buy tickets in the pay and display.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

Listen folks, this was my third trip to Reykjavik (for EvE Fanfest) and my second time staying in one of the CentreHotels. The hotel is perfectly located (as are all the other CentreHotels) to see the most of this beautiful city and, like all boutique hotels, this one looks beautiful.

However, it is one thing to look good at a distance but there needs to be substance when you look at the details. In my room (403) I found:

1. The curtains were broken and fell down in the middle of the night then the repair was basically a 'bodge' to hold them up - the same bodge that was used to hold them up in the first place.
2. The bracket holding on one of the bedside lights had come loose from the wall
3. The TV remote was held together with sellotape and worked intermittently
4. The TV transmitter box (fixed to the top of the TV) overheated every 30 mins so the TV stopped working.
5. One of the power sockets wasn't working
6. The sink was loose on the pedestal and moved all over the place (it was subsequently glued in place)
7. The tap on the sink was so loose it was moving independently of the moving sink - that was never fixed
8. One of the wheels on the chair had 'thrown' it's rubber 'tyre' so wouldn't glide properly
9. Oh and the wifi kept dropping out late at night

They offered me 2 other rooms (1 with equally 'bodged' curtains, 1 with a view of the back of a building), but quite frankly I should have been given a suitable room to start off with, and the issues were liveable with even if they were a PITA.
The receptionist did offer me a 3-course meal but of the fixed menu at the Thingholt: I couldn't eat the starter, and I really wasn't interested in the desert.

Now the receptions staff, bar/breakfast staff, cleaners etc were all polite, helpful and thoro professional. However I probably should have got them to get the hotel manager so I could have a word with him. It is HER/HIS responsibility to ensure that standards are maintained and to speak to the company executives if things need to be changed. These were all attention-to-detail issues that had either not been noticed by the staff in a so-called boutique hotel or had been noticed but management had refused to do anything about them. Either way, unacceptable in your flagship hotel and definitely unacceptable in a 170 Euro-per-night stay for one person.

I will definitely be going back to Reykjavik, I will definitely NOT be staying at the CenterHotel Þingholt...I strongly suggest you don't either

Room tip: Find something more cost-effective
Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Simon B
Reviewed 26 April 2016 via mobile

Pros :
Very central, good (and smart) bathroom, no carpets in the room, clean, coffee /tea in room.
Cons:
Could clearly hear people next door, no view, small room (glad I didn't share it), windows didn't close properly in all rooms.

Breakfast was ok. I liked the decor of the place. Reception was helpful.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Nilla69
Reviewed 26 April 2016

We loved this hotel. The room, the lobby and the restaurant are chic, cozy and clean. The room has everything you need. In our room, the bathroom and bed was divided by a glass-wall.
The Restaurant is where you go for breakfast, which has a nice variety of food, from hearty to light. The bar in the restaurant has a variety of whiskeys, wines and beer on tap.
The Perfect location. We noticed other Center Hotels around town, but we found this one to be right in the middle of everything.
The Service was great! Front desk was so helpful and nice, they booked all our tours, our shuttle back to the airport and with printing our boarding passes. The restaurant staff was friendly and attentive.
Just a few tips: very close to the Nordic store, Lebowski bar, a grocery store open 24hrs, the laundromat, gray line tours office, Prikid cafe and the tourist information center. The hotel is also in the center of the night life in Reykjavik.
Highly recommend and would definitely stay again. Thank You for an exceptional stay.

Reviewed 22 April 2016

This hotel is in a great location close to shops, restaurants and bars. We had a top floor room and, heeding the warning of other reviewers, also requested one away from the street. We stayed for 6 nights, including over a weekend, and were not bothered by any noise. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast offered a good choice and we also ate in the restaurant on our first day. We chose from the lounge menu (small plates) and everything was cooked to order and delicious. We did use the spa most days as it was a nice way to relax after a day sightseeing but, as another April stay reviewer mentioned, the steam room was not working. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location and welcoming staff.

Room tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter