“Hidden gem in the heart of Reykjavik”
Review of Piccolo Italia - CLOSED

Piccolo Italia
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were strolling up and down the Main Street in Reykjavik, firing somewhere to eat. Obviously it can be very expensive in Iceland, so we were looking for somewhere that serves good food at a decent price. We started to then search up the side streets off of the Main Street, and found this lovely little restaurant. When looking inside there was only one group of people sat at a table, but we though this would be nice compared to the bigger busier restaurants. The price also wasn't too bad either!

We were immediately greeted by the waitress who led us to our table. The decor inside is so quirky with traditional wine bottles everywhere, Italian flags, paintings on the walls and I presume Italian opera music playing which was really nice!

The menu is actually quite extensive with the pizza and pasta choices, and they also had a specials and special offer of the day menus. I ordered a chicken carbonara and my partner the pepperoni pizza. The food arrived very quickly because we were the only people ordering at that time (the other group were already eating). When the food arrived it looked so good that I forgot to take pictures of the food! We tucked in straightaway! But I can say that our food was delicious. My partner said that it was the best pizza he's ever had, and he eats a lot of pizza! It wasn't greasy, plenty of toppings. My pasta was lovely - I'm not normally a big fan of cheese sauces, but it was so good!

So if you're the same of us, looking for a decent priced restaurant in the centre of Reykjavik, definitely make a visit to this restaurant. Then once you've finished your food, take a walk up to Hallgrimslrikja which is only a few minutes walk.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Small and funky but good basic Italian food. No reservation required but good for a relaxed meal. Right downtown, not far from the big church.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I ate here the night I arrived in Reykjavik, after a week and a half of travel throughout Scandinavia, with nagging jet-lag, and the sinking realization that I was woefully under-prepared for the weather here. So I admit that my first impression may have been tainted by my bad mood. But I was not impressed.
I ordered risotto, which had the texture of boiled rice, instead of the creamy texture that risotto is usually known for. Risotto is a time and labor-intensive dish (it requires the broth to be added in little increments, and obsessively stirred to obtain the right texture), and it was pretty late at night, so I suppose they could have been out, and tried to whip up a batch when I ordered it. But I would much rather have been told that they were out, and ordered something else instead. The tiramisu had a strange bitter/sour flavor to it. The wine I ordered was fine (vey good, even).
Perhaps I simply ordered the wrong things--my friend ordered the beef bolognese and the apple pie (more like apple cake) with homemade gelato, and she said they were both very good. Maybe the fact that I didn't feel well influenced my impression of the meal. Either way, I was not impressed.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Cute little restaurant with good food (salmon, whale). I only missed draft beer :D . Very friendly staff. Free wifi access. Reasonable prices (if we can say that there are any reasonable prices on Iceland :D )

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This is our second trip to Iceland in 2 years. We ate at the Italian restaurant around the corner from this one last time, so we thought we'd switch it up and try Piccolo.

Bad mistake.

We had tagliatelle with salmon and cream sauce. It tasted of nothing. No seasoning, nothing. Funny enough, because everything else we got was so salty it was painful.

Pizza, salty.

Bread, salty.

Tortellini, salty.

The room itself is small and overly warm.

Service was friendly enough. Although, their sign outside said it was Happy Hour all day, yet the server didn't understand us when we asked about it. Just kept looking at us like she had never heard that word combination before. Happy Hour. Happy Hour. Nope.

Don't do it.