All reviews modern design small gym our honeymoon junior suite higher floor concert hall perfect location steam room mini bar rooms are comfortable bring earplugs breakfast buffet downtown reykjavik lounge area blue lagoon bars and restaurants happy hour
Reviewed 13 September 2018

I booked this trip in January for our August anniversary trip to Iceland, and the 101 Hotel was going to be a luxury topping to end our amazing vacation abroad.

I booked using my Starwood points (25,000 - not a small number for one night), expecting the regular SPG experience - great, comfortable accomodations, and flare in this modern hotel.

We arrived and I parked the rental car in a great spot in front of the building, a sign, I thought, of good luck and the experience we were about to step into.

The staff opened the doors, and welcomed us in. But when we walked up to the desk to check in with those same people - they smiled and said that unfortunately they have no rooms available for the night. "You came too late."

It being 5:30pm, I was very confused. How was this possible? Who took my room that I reserved 8 months ago? Surely there's an upgrade available, I'll even pay more, or give more points... There has to be one room in the hotel.

"No, I'm sorry. We booked you at the Radisson nearby, and we got you breakfast."

But I don't want to stay at the Radisson. I want to stay in the place that's a category 6 that I paid 25k points for. I don't know about the Radisson, and it's not part of the SPG family so I can't say it's equivalent. As an aside, we were leaving early in the morning to the airport, so breakfast was not helpful.

Wait, did you call me or send me a reservation update by email? You have my contact information.

"Yes, we called twice today, but you didn't pick up"

What number did you call, because both my wife and I have been using our phones all week getting calls from Iceland and the US, and we don't see any communication at all today. We have been in Reykjavik, so there's no issue with being in a remote location (though we were able to facetime with the US from the heights of a glacier). We also have email and text, there are many ways you could have told us that we should just go to the Radisson and save us this disappointment.

"Are you calling us liars?"

No, of course not. We just would expect some communication if you were not going to fulfill the reservation. You're telling me you're entirely booked, and there's no way we can stay here tonight? You see my wife is injured (from hiking earlier in the week) - I'll pay to get an upgrade.

"We don't have any rooms. We just filled up now."

So, we repacked the car, said goodbye to the parking space and drove around Reykjavik trying to find the Radisson they booked us at. When we arrived, the Radisson front desk said they thought it was strange that the 101 would call early in the morning to tell us to "take these people."

In the end, it seemed very clear that they planned to relocate us, neglected to contact us throughout the day, and surprise us with the disappointment of having to pack and repack the car and drive through a foreign city to a hotel that I didn't book, totally deflated on what was supposed to be a special night to close our trip.

Based on other reviews, I would suggest not booking this through SPG, as 101 Hotel does not value SPG members who pay with points as guests and will put them in subpar rooms or even a different hotel as punishment for visiting.

I called SPG customer service to request some sort of refund or acknowledgement that we were treated like uninvited guests as opposed to paying customers. Omar (who was not present when we tried to check into the 101) emailed me the next day to defend their position, and not provide the refund I requested. They did everything correctly.

The fact that Omar was able to reach me the following day told me everything I needed to know.

(PS - I'm aware that this situation ended up just fine. I stayed at a nice hotel for the night after 1.5 hours of packing, moving, and getting settled at the new location, and calling SPG. The problem is with the customer service - why couldn't they try to reach us? -, lack of sympathy for our disappointment, and sudden banishment from the hotel I was looking forward to staying at for 8 months. There are so many better ways to handle paying customers.)

Room Tip: Choose a hotel that will honor your reservation
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jgalanti
JuliaBjorgvinsdottir, Manager at 101 hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear jgalanti, let me start by saying congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for taking the time to review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for having to relocate you. Overbooking can occur for any number of reasons and does not happen often. It is never in our intention to relocate any guest and we hope that the complimentary accommodation and complimentary breakfast we provided for you and your partner will demonstrate our determination to ensure that you were well taken care of. It is my hope to be able to welcome you back to 101 hotel in future for the exceptional stay that you so much deserve. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Nothing special but solid hotel. Clean. Nice sized room. Good water pressure.
Maid did turn our heat on every. Single. Night. ugh!
Good location. Tons of bars and restaurants nearby. Pretty much all tourists sites are walking distance.

Be careful on weekend nights. Locals are LOUD outside. Hard to sleep if your room faces a road.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
JuliaBjorgvinsdottir, Manager at 101 hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear knkilroy ,thank you for sharing your experience at 101 hotel. We hope to host you again in the future and if there is anything I can assist with on your next visit do not hesitate to reach out directly to me.

Reviewed 24 August 2018

My husband and I are gold Starwood members and elected to use some of our Starpoints to book a couple nights in Reykjavik following our wedding in the Icelandic countryside. When we booked the room with Starwood, we told them about the occasion and they all but guaranteed us an upgrade due to our gold status and the reason for our visit. They said they would make a note on our reservation and ensure our stay was very special.

The cost for just 2 nights was 50,000 starpoints.. which was pretty hefty all things considered. Because have always had such great experiences at other Starwood properties, we were certain the steep cost would be worth it and would make the days following our wedding relaxing and perfect.

Unfortunately, nothing about our stay was special or even at best ordinary, it was an absolute nightmare and a horrendous value to boot.

Upon check-in, we were not greeted in a friendly manner nor were we even given any sort of congratulations or acknowledgment, we just got put into a terrible room with a view of an alleyway and a terrible layout. I asked the guy at the front desk if he happened to see on our reservation that we were gold members and that if he knew we were there for a special occasion. He just glanced at his computer and said "oh yes, I see that.. is there anything else?" I was absolutely stunned. Starwood typically rolls out the red carpet for their Gold members, and you'd think they might even take it a step further for an occasion as special as getting married but they didn't even acknowledge that.

The room was very cramped and the bed was very uncomfortable, but we decided to make the best of it and just enjoy our time despite the appalling attitude of the hotel staff. On our second day at the hotel when we returned from shopping we found our room made up as we expected it to be, however one of the housekeeping staff had decided to open up our tightly sealed wedding cake for a peak and forgot to wrap it back up. I was stunned and felt very violated, talk about unprofessional behavior. I went to the front desk and notified them of the situation and they just stared blankly for a moment and said "Oh, i'm sorry about that! I'll make a note." I stood there dumbfounded at the lack of any sort of adequate response and just turned and walked away.

This hotel has a reputation in Reykjavik for being exclusive, cutting edge, and high class. However the reality is it is outdated, poorly laid out, and severely lacking in any sort of class. Don't let the high cost fool you into believing you're in for a 5 star experience, it will disappoint you in every way. Reykjavik has exploded with growth in the last few years and there are several options that are more affordable and offer better service, superior amenities, and exponentially more comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank anthonytelaroli

Dear anthonytelaroli, congratulation on your marriage and thank you for taking the time to share your review. However, I have no record of your stay and to be quite frank I am very confused considering you are accusing our hotel staff to have actually opened a tightly sealed wedding cake. All rooms at 101 hotel are very spacious with the most luxurious bedding and amenities so I am wondering if you are posting your story to a different hotel.

Reviewed 21 August 2018

Warning: This property abuts an open-air nightclub, which has live music or a DJ on Friday and Saturday nights until 4:30 am, after which the raucous crowds head into the street in front of the hotel. This is great if you want to stay up all night. If you want to sleep, well, forget about it. Your only protection is to make sure that you book a room on the side of the hotel which is away from this nightclub. We didn't know to do this, so we had a very unpleasant stay. By the way, when we complained to the management about the fact that we could not sleep in the room we paid for, we were told that such things should be expected when staying in a city. Really? This never happened in New York, London, Paris, Chicago, Miami, Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Amsterdam, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Florence, Venice, Edinburgh, Dublin, Boston, Washington, D.C. or any other city of any size where I have ever stayed. Must have been that I was just lucky. Bottom line, Iceland is a beautiful place and is definitely worth visiting, but the hotel industry is not very mature so you have to be careful. Obviously, none of us would stay in this hotel again. You may want to give this one a pass.

Room Tip: Away from the open-air nightclub on the weekends.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kenn M

Dear Kenn M, I sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience you had while staying with us recently. During your stay, the whole city was indeed very lively as the biggest annual festival (Reykjavik Culture Night) was going on in the city center. I am deeply sorry that you departed the hotel with this impression as this in no way reflects the 101 hotel standard of service. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future and please contact me directly as I would like to personally ensure your next stay will be enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

We enjoyed our stay at the 101 Hotel. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. The breakfast buffet was lovely as well, although oddly not included in the room price like many of the other hotels in Iceland.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
JuliaBjorgvinsdottir, Manager at 101 hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear mbwaldman, Thank you so much for sharing this review and I am glad our that your impression was so wonderful here at the 101 hotel. We hope to see you again.