All reviews the main street sun room great location bread breakfast room central location tea and coffee friday and saturday night boiled eggs rooms are small salami corner room light sleeper third floor basic hotel bus stop hot drinks
Reviewed 14 May 2016

If you're planning on being active, taking tours and exploring Reykjavik while you're in Iceland this is the hotel for you. If you're looking for amenities and 5 star service, this isn't the hotel for you. It was perfect for what I needed- a place to rest my head after my busy days. The location is really PERFECT. You can walk to countless bars, restaurants and shops. You can walk to the harbor and other points of interest in Reykjavik. Yes, it was a bit loud, especially on Friday night, but that didn't bother me. The noise was coming from outside the hotel. I hardly ever saw the staff because the lobby is on the second floor pushed back a bit. It felt like a hostel, but again, that's okay for what I was there for. The biggest annoyance, which would definitely be hard for people traveling in the winter is that there is no where to sit and wait for your tours. The entrance is up a couple steps and there is a big wooden door. The tours give you a 30 minute time frame they'll pick you up during. So you pretty much have to stand outside in the early morning which can be quite cold.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank erindowling10
Reviewed 12 May 2016

This hotel is small, but perfectly formed. It resembled a large townhouse with steps up to the entrance door and a grand entrance hall. The hotel itself is located on the main shopping street in the centre of Reykjavik, and for us, the location was excellent. We stepped out of the hotel into the hustle and bustle of Reykjavik city centre and that’s one of the things we loved about it.

Our room was on the third floor and was just perfect. It was quiet, with a window overlooking a side street. It had tea and coffee making facilities and a television with some UK channels. The bathroom didn’t have a bath, but the shower was perfectly adequate. The beds were extremely comfortable.

Breakfast was self-service on the third floor in a room with windows on three sides, rather like a conservatory, and the view over the Reykjavik rooftops was delightful. For a small hotel, the choice of food on offer was superb. Everything was fresh and the quality was excellent.

One of the things we particularly enjoyed was the free tea and coffee available all day in the breakfast room. It’s little touches like this that made our stay very enjoyable.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kiplingcollector
Reviewed 9 May 2016

About the only thing this hotel has going for it is location. I also understand the noise factor with it's central location. I can also forgive lack of parking and no way to pull up to the hotel to unload bags. However, what I cannot forgive is the basic maintenance, cleanliness, and updates that are seriously lacking in this hotel.

Our room was overstuffed with furniture, the super tiny shower stall had mildew in the grout lines, and the bed linens were threadbare. The carpet had also seen better days and was stained and appeared not to be vacuumed. The whole space just felt tired, dirty, and smelled of sewer gas. Breakfast was passable, but by far the worst we had in our two weeks in Iceland.

This is far from the four-star hotel that this hotel bills itself, but more like 2 star, basic accommodations. Maybe more like a hostel.

If this place put in a tiny bit more effort into making updates and attention to detail, they could certainly charge more for rooms as the location is great for people that want to stay in the heart of Reykjavik and within walking distance to a lot that the city has to offer.

Since this room was purchased on Hotwire, I should have known that the price was too good to be true. You really do get what you pay for. Buyer beware--this is no where near a 4-star hotel!

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alayson P
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Close to so many cafes, restaurants, shops of all kinds, the harbour too!
Essentials all covered. The view was totally that of other buildings, close up.
My difficulty was that even though there is an elevator, there are three stone steps w/o handrail to enter the building. Then there is a set of interior stairs which must be navigated to get to the elevator which takes you to the reception desk! I have a mobility issue...walk with canes. I managed w help and really loved the streetscape.

Room tip: This serves as a wake up when reading property bios.......when it says - elevator - it does not mean to all areas.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2016

Clean, friendly and in the middle of everything! If you're looking for location, this is your spot. Upon checking in the staff was very friendly and helpful. One of the nights we stayed was a Saturday, so just be prepared that due to the location, there is a lot of action outside, so it was loud pretty late. This didn't bother us, but just be aware. As in European fashion, the room was small. The reason I gave a 4 was because the shower was so small you could barely move, and I am a small person. Other then that, this hotel was great.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends