“Great Value, Great yet quiet location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Albany, New York
“Great Value, Great yet quiet location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Holt for two nights and could not have been happier. The Hotel was very close to the downtown area but is off the beaten path just enough that it is very quiet. Later in the week we stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919 on the Harbor which was great but very, very loud outside.

The employees at the front desk were all extremely helpful and friendly. We did not eat at the restaurant but heard it was excellent from others. There is a wonderful bakery down the street that has the most amazing caramel donuts!

The room was very nice, surprisingly spacious for Iceland although a little tight by American standards. Very comfortable bed! Free Wifi in the room and public areas and the connection was better than anywhere else I stayed in the country. The room was very clean and the curtains were pretty good although could have been better at keeping the midnight sun out. The bathroom was very clean as well.

I would highly recommend the Hotel Holt to anyone staying in Reykjavik and I know we will be staying there again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mkd2018
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear mkd2018.

Thank you for a great review. It seems everything worked out great during your stay. We will continue to do our best so that everyone has the same smile as you when they leave.

We look forward to your return as soon as possible.
Snorri
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Finnish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Others have said that this hotel is perfect except for the dated decor. That may very well be true if the oil paintings, velvet, and brocade is not your thing. It's not my style either but I am glad that I overlooked that part of the reviews and booked Hotel Holt. The rooms were clean and everything functioned perfectly. The staff was absolutely wonderful and that to me is more important than the having a hip vibe. The location is interesting... about a 5 minute walk to the main downtown street, yet in what appears to be a residential neighborhood. The rooms were quiet at night and the window coverings somehow managed to keep the room dark despite the midnight sun. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SonoFelice
Dear SonoFelice.

Thank you for the nice review. We are also glad you overlooked the reviews referring to the dated decor. We enjoy it. We´re proud of our art collection but we also strongly believe anybody can stay with us without being an art buff. Culture is culture and just being surrounded by it, gives you a warm cozy feeling. That´s what we believe anyway.

We look forward to your non-hesitant booking the next time you are traveling round these parts :)

Guernsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Its rating suggests that this hotel is something special; it's not.

We arrived to find no staff in reception, eventually were allocated a junior suite that had two very small windows overlooking a roof and into three other rooms. We asked to be moved, which we were, to a much better room, somewhat irritated that we were being offered the grotty room first.

We were warned on checking in that last orders in the restaurant would be 22.00, with the restaurant closing at 22.30, so we were somewhat mystified to be told when we came down for dinner at 21.30 that the kitchen was already closed. The following night we did eat in. As with check in, there were no staff to be found when we wanted a table and the receptionist (who fortunately was around this time) had to go looking for someone. The food was more expensive than eating out and was poorer quality, so I would suggest it is avoided.

The hotel prides itself on its concierge service, but I can't say that we managed to get much information from anyone at reception and it is better to do your own research online.

Overall a disappointing experience from an over-rated hotel. Occassionally tripadvisor just gets hotels wrong; this is one such hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank millergeoff
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Mr. millergeoff.

Thank you for your somewhat troubling review. That nobody was at the front desk when you arrived, should never happen and I am investigating how that could have happened as we always have two members of staff at the desk during summer.

The so called "grotty" room is a favorite of many of our return guests since it makes it easier to block out the tricky midnight sun during summer. I will concede that if you were expecting a stunning view of the city, this is not exactly what the doctor ordered but besides the view, this is a room of equal quality to what you were moved to. Incidentally, anyone looking for a particular view, bathtub or any special request, can simply contact us through any of the several means we offer, to give us a chance to fulfill this wish. Without the request, we have nothing to go on.

In regards to the restaurant, I would like to apologize about the opening hours. It seems that once in a while in summer, the restaurant is very slow and on those days they reserve the right to close early. From now on, our front desk agents will point out that making a reservation is the best way to ensure they are open when you want the table, especially if you are planning to come later than traditionally happens here.

In regards to the food quality, I am not sure why you expected the food in one of Iceland´s premier restaurant to be less expensive than eating "out". There is a plethora of options outside the hotel doors, some more expensive, some less. We are confident that Gallery Restaurant offers great value and if you would have voiced any concern over the quality of your experience on the night, we are known for responding well and efficiently because nobody in this house wants to see a review like yours after departure.

We do pride ourselves on our concierge service and I stand by that statement. I would love an opportunity to further discuss how you feel consulting the internet on your own would be superior to our seasoned experts at the front desk. Each of them is trained in recommending several options if you give them an indication of what you are looking for.

As an active contributor to Tripadvisor, I would not try to trivialize the validity of your opinions but I would suggest that your visit was a case of Murphy´s law, where the trip got off on the wrong foot with a room you didn´t like and we did drop the ball a couple of times but we would welcome the opportunity to regain your trust and impress you at another time, given the chance.

Respectfully,
zurich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed at the Holt two nights - at the start and end of a trip around Iceland. Some parts of the hotel I really love - such as the clubby lunge and lobby and the great art collection. But it also has some drawbacks - I know at one time it was the toast of Reykjavik, but its getting long in the tooth. The musty halls smell like visiting your grandfather's closet, and many items in the rooms - from carpet to fixtures - are badly in need of updating.

My first night I paid about 250 euros for what was basically a shoebox - a very cramped single room that did not even have space for me to fully open my suitcase. Very overpriced, even for Reykjavik. The second night was in a more reasonable double room. Both rooms had uncomfortably small bathrooms. My place had a roof balcony, but there were many disgusting cigarette butts outside and it was generally unattractive.

I was also disappointed by the recommendation of the staff. I was keen to go to the Blue Lagoon and asked them to recommend a tour - she recommended one that would have gotten me there an hour before closing as I had just missed their earlier tour. I got on the web and found a tour at the bus terminal (a 5 minute walk from the hotel) that gave me 3 hours at the Blue Lagoon. So either the front desk worker did not know what she was talking about or she tried to steer me towards a company they probably get kick-backs from, either is disappointing.

Aside from that the staff are friendly, the restaurant has a good basic breakfast and nice but expensive dinner. It is also away from the late noise of downtown and a short walk to great shopping and site seeing. But I think this hotel is pricing itself on a reputation that is many years old - it is in bad need of some updates.

Room Tip: insist on seeing the room first, and don't settle for one of the crammed single rooms even if yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank photoguyZurich
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear photoguyZurich.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and the kind words about what you were happy about. It is true that the hotel is almost 50 years old and renovations may be in order for the rooms. We are constantly looking over what kind of renovations to do next and the carpets are definitely a big part of those plans. While they are clean and generally free of all stains, the color and thickness can be renewed for a nicer experience for all. Wood flooring is also an option but we feel carpets are more Hotel Holt and as you saw by visiting us, we are not really big followers of the latest trends.

The carpets in the hallways were changed only a couple of years ago so the musty grandfather smell you refer to will have had nothing to do with the age of the carpets, more likely just that you were visiting at the absolute hottest period of the year and the air in the hallways isn´t blowing much so it might get a bit stale. I´m sure you did not experience this inside the rooms you had.

We are reviewing the room categories we sell and if you were paying 250euros for our smallest rooms, I would suggest you book directly with us next time because that does sound like a rip-off. I would be happy to hear from you to know where you booked at that price.

The balconies are cleaned regularly but as you point out, this should be done more regularly. I´m on it.

What I find most disappointing is your review of our guest service agent in handling your Blue Lagoon booking. I can assure you that all my staff think only about the quality of our guest experience when recommending who to go with. We value a good deal for our guests and that takes into consideration the price and quality of service you receive, nothing else. There are no kick-backs and everything takes a backseat to our guest´s satisfaction. Since there are 3 bus stations in each direction of the hotel, I have no way of knowing which company you are referring to but I can assure you that if our agent didn´t recommend something, it is either because we are unhappy with the company´s past performances or there was a misunderstanding between the two of you.

This is a family owned hotel which values it´s history and will not go into huge debt to renovate everytime new trends come along. We are always looking to improve and renew but we also want to do things the right way. I would welcome a chance to discuss this further with you to get more specific feedback on which parts of the rooms you would like to see us improve on first. You can contact me directly through our website or by e-mailing the front desk. I am already on the carpet issue for this winter and we are looking at new desks but I would respectfully disagree that we are in "bad" need of renovations. Everything still serves a purpose although some things may look dated.

I do hope you will pay us a visit the next time you are in Iceland and hope to un-mix your feelings on that occasion :)

Chester, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am very fond of the Holt. It has great depth of old world charm inside that belies its bland sixties type exterior. Panelled walls hung with silk Persian carpets and Persian carpets on the dark wood floors provide a feeling of understated opulence. There are a number of fine French antique pieces here and there and walls covered with fine Icelandic art work much of it in the naive style.
The rooms are all suites and generous in size and if you need a sofa made down into a bed then be assured it is as comfortable as the beds. With 24hrs of sunlight in the summer, the rooms are equipped with heavy duty curtains that work well to dim the rooms for sleeping.
Set in the older side of the upper city in the diplomatic area, the Holt is close to all shopping and amenities but far enough away from the tourist streets to provide the quiet and calm we often crave. There are a number of comfortable lounges and a very pleasant bar with a remarkable selection of old whiskies
I have stayed here a number of times in the past on business and pleasure trips and always look forward to returning. The restaurant by the way is of high quality, a bit pricey, but what isn't in Iceland. The hotel is also served by transfer coaches to and from Keflavik Airport which is handy. The staff are very pleasant, speak good English and know their country well..
On this occasion my son and I just stopped over for two days on our way to Halifax Nova Scotia but The Holt also makes a great base from which to explore the country on an extended stay

Room Tip: Rooms on the forth floor have a balconey and pleasant view over the sea and old city
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nmunnery
Valsson, General Manager at Hotel Holt, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear nmunnery.

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and the glowing marks you give the hotel, the staff and the general atmosphere.

We look forward to continuing to host you and with your help always keep improving.