“Compose the Perfect Shot with Tony”

Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #105 of 356 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography and sightseeing tours to all parts of Iceland.These flexible tours are driven by a passion for photography and the Icelandic nature.Flexible tours for small groups including advice and guidance regarding photography, Icelandic history and geography. Tours include transportation and accommodation outside of Reykjavik.
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I found Iceland Aurora tours on TripAdvisor and most of the reviews were positive so I thought it would be a fun way to get some great photos. I booked through the website and started communicating with Tony via email. He does a fantastic job of replying to email and answering questions. During my trip to Iceland, the weather and roads were bad; Tony was updating me via email nearly daily while we were in Iceland. We ended up rescheduling a private tour to a shared tour on a different day due to road conditions. The shared tour went well and we ended up on the south coast. The weather conditions were poor but Tony did the best he could to get us to the right spots for photos. He provided crampons, tripod, and other equipment as need for the trip.

My personal photography experience is limited to using the automatic settings on my Canon EOS cameras and I have minimal experience with the fully manual settings on my cameras. I took a T2i, SXi, and XT Canon EOS with me and was able to get several composed shots. Tony provided a brief lesion on the manual settings and set me up to compose my frame.

This trip is appropriate for the photographer at any level. However, I feel that I would have benefited more, if I had a better understanding of the manual settings on my camera. I would recommend playing around with the settings and at least reading about them prior to your tour. That information would have helped me better use Tony’s expertise. Also take plenty of memory, a towel to wipe off rain or moisture, and lots of plastic bags to keep camera dry. Snacks and drinks are also a must. I did not bring any, but Tony stopped at a gas station and I was able to pick up some sandwiches. Buy more that you think you will need.

4  Thank Angie S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours

Reviewed 9 March 2012

If you want to be in the right place, at the right time, go with Tony Prower of Iceland Photo Tours. He's worth the money.

3  Thank Kevin N
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Going on a short trip to Reykjavik and both my wife and I being interested in photography, we decided after reading the reviews on here to book with Iceland Aurora Photo Tours. After initial contact with Tony via email, we decided on a full day to Snaefellsnes - unfortunately our schedule didn't allow for more than one day.

We were picked up promptly at the hotel at the agreed time and Tony turned out to be a very pleasant and knowledgable chap, which I find important when you are spending a whole day in a car driving around! It's an added bonus to be able to have a good conversation on a trip like this.

We are both fairly inexperienced with landscape photography, and Tony really helped us get the most out of our day with cunning tips - the black cloth technique is something we will be working on perfecting! He was also kind enough to lend us tripods as well as ND filters so we could get as much as possible out of the day. His knowledge about the area, where to be and when, to get the best pictures was invaluable to our experience!

The weather wasn't quite with us with snowfall and poor visibility, but thanks to his knowledge we still got a lot out of this trip and returned more than happy to our hotel late in the evening.

We are already planning to go back in summer to see Iceland in a different light, and we will definitely book with Iceland Aurora again!

1  Thank Anders K
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Went with Kimmi - a really nice and quiet fellow - did both the Golden Circle and night tour - which we couldn't do because of clouds. I really enjoyed the tour and sights. His driving on ice was a bit scary as he kind of drifted from side to side on the road, although not many people driving at the time. Jeep was comfortable and he was most accommodating regarding stops and answering questions. We would use him again.

2  Thank JimOB1
TonyPrower, Owner at Iceland Aurora Photo Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Greetings from Iceland, this is owner Tony Prower. I would like to thank the reviewer for using our services and for taking the time to submit a review. Kiddi really is an excellent guide and very experienced driver.

A scary driving experience is something which concerns most winter visitors to Iceland. Ice on the roads is something we have to deal with very carefully. We don't take safety lightly and invest heavily in vehicle safety. During the winter, our Jeeps have the best winter tyres... no compromise.

During the winter months we constantly monitor the road conditions and drive accordingly. In some conditions we might suggest an alternative route or suggest an alternative time to avoid dangerous conditions, but there are some icy conditions which cannot be foreseen and in these cases, very careful driving and experience will get us home safely.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I went on a Golden Circle one-day tour with Tony in March 2011 and promised myself that I would return. I did so in early January 2012 and went on an overnight photo tour to Jokulsarlon with Tony. Again it was a fantastic experience. Tony was a brilliant driver on very icy roads. He is an excellent guide, a patient teacher and extremely knowledgable re Iceland. Again I've come away with new techniques and photos that I'm very proud of. I would recommend any of Tony's tours to everybody.