“Amazing (pricey) food”

Burro Tapas & Steaks
Ranked #26 of 565 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$ 38 - US$ 84
Description: Burro is relatively new on the scene in Reykjavik and the perfect place to go for a night filled with fun and great food. Don't forget to check out our weird brother Pablo Discobar on the top floor, he will serve you exciting cocktails and make your night something you wouldn't want to forget! We have a great selection of vegan and vegetarian options on our menu.
Reviewed 19 March 2018

We had the tester menu here and the place is great, vibrant and lively but not too loud and the service is excellent. The quality of the food is excellent but of course it’s Iceland so you pay a lot for food and it gets busy so you may need to book. It’s a great place if you want quality food in a city where everything costs a bomb!

1  Thank Damspost
Fannar A, Guest Relations Manager at Burro Tapas & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Dear Damspost,

Thank you so much, we really appricate you taking the time to write your review. We hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We did the tasting menu, and the food was average. Forced to do it because other members of our party chose it. When I walk out of a place paying $150 I would expect to be served more than empanadas and cheese sticks. A little bit of broccolini. There was some mofongo-type dish as well. All peasant food, in a bad way, due to what they charge. This irks me like upscale "comfort food" restaurants do. I don't ever want to pay exorbitant prices for a bowl of mac and cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich! Back to Burro: Cocktails are $25, wine is insanely priced. The tasting menu, at $90 is a joke. I can go to other restaurants and get a fat prime steak or some fish or exotic meal. The restaurant is not fine-dining, just expensive, trendy and loud. Yes Reykjavik is expensive, I am aware. I just wish my dollars went to a satisfying meal and I did not appreciate being served simple, under-portioned foods that you can usually buy for $3. Absolutely pretentious. Aside from that, the service isn't so great for what you pay, either. There was no value to this meal. I am fine with paying lots of money for value, but this place misses the mark on every count.

Fannar A, Guest Relations Manager at Burro Tapas & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Dear Travelingrules,

We very sad to hear about your experiance with us, I have taken the liberty to contact you personaly with my direct contacts. I hope to hear back from you.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Went on a tuesday night for a two for one offer on the tasting menu. However even though they advertise the offer as a 2for1 they charge they skip the wine and charge the same price. I asked two waiters and the manager about this and pointed out that there was no mention of this implications. They didnt care and I even got no reply when I asked them about the matter on their facebook.

Terrible attitude, good food.

Fannar A, Guest Relations Manager at Burro Tapas & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Dear Kristófer,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. This matter has been taken up with management as well as all parties involved. We took the liberty to personally contact you. We thank you for pointing out our sort falls for us to improve our services and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Food was great tasty, well presented, lovely flavour combinations and good service.

Excellent night definitely recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Richtoye1967

Dear Richtoye1967,

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop us a line :) We hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I had heard about this place from a co-worker. So we decided to give it a try.

We went for the tasting menu.

First dish was good, raw fish (salmon probably) in small bites - very tasty.

Second dish was very tasty thin sliced beef. It came in a sauce that reminded me of soya. The beef was very tasty, but the sauce was too salty. We drank 2 jugs of water while we ate and still was feeling thirsty the day after.

The third dish was something that came in white sauce, can´t remember what is was. But I remember that the spoon I got had hard food remains on it. Like something you could remove with your nail. Which I did.

Forth dish was fish taco. It was a cool dish. A bit difficult to eat. Sadly it felt a bit dry and not very tasty.

Fifth dish was cod covered with crunchy pork. The cod was perfectly cooked. Loved the texture. However, it was way to spicy, it was drenched in some green spicy stuff. I know this is a southern place, so I can forgive this. Would have liked to have this dish 50% less spicy though.

Sixth dish was very good, was something similar to lamb shanks. It was very tender - prefect. Well done!

Desert was okay, dish covered in foams and chocolate covered pudding of some kind.

The dining experience was ok.

Howerver, the service needs some improvement. I'm not saying it was bad, just that there are some things that could be better.
For example, we got a tasting menu. So the waiters had to describe what we were having. We had 2 waiters and one chef describe the dishes. It felt like the waiters were unsecure when they described the food. Like they were just trying to remember a list of things they just read. They said everything really fast and one of them even started to walk away before fininsh to describe the dish. The chef who described our main dishes felt less nervous when he described the food.

This place has potential, they just need to fix a lot of small things. This did not feel like something I expected when paying 9.000 kr. per dish.

Fannar A, Guest Relations Manager at Burro Tapas & Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Dear Jon_Ju1234,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate your feedback and your points are taken to heart. For us it is the little things that are the most important.