All reviews no elevator railway station restaurant and bar downstairs bigger hotels great location first floor the ground floor double windows room was clean central location porridge single room would stay again open the window flat screen tv small hotel on foot
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I just need to start this review with the word, wow.....and that is not in a good context. This hotel has for sure seen its best days, I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the city in business, but this was really....wow. Ok, so for start I hade a hard time finding the entrance for the hotel, it is a “normal” door that leads you in to the restaurant part. Staff in the reception is really sweet and friendly, absolutely no issues her at all.
Rooms are located on the second floor, you need to open a looked door to get in the the corridor. I asked for a room towards the back of the hotel because there are trams and busses driving just in front of the hotel, I’m sure they have good isolation of the windows, but just in case, I slept good in the room, so I’m glad for that.
But the room itself is really outdated, two different types of carpet with bleach stains, that both seems to be stuck in the 80’s. The room was more on the smaller side, but nice sized single bed. Very dark furniture in the room.
Bathroom was kind of clean, but here you see the age of the place. They are struggling to keep it in a good condition. Shower had shower curtains, that did not help much when taking a shower. There is water everywhere on the floor.

Breakfast was ok, they hade a good selection just like in the bigger hotels, just in a smaller scale. Coffee could be improved a bit, it was very bitter taste. Either it has been standing a bit to long or it’s just a bit to dark roasted.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2018

Excellent location, close to the train station and to the main center points of interest, Very nice and helpful staff. They gave us very good informations and always were ready to help. We definitely recommend this hotel, has a very good price performance.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Markku L, Johtaja at Hotel Carlton Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Dear Cruiser201517,

Thank you for taking some time to share you Tripadvisor review. I'm delighted to hear that you liked our location and found our staff helpful for your stay. I hope to see you again at Best Western Hotel Carlton.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

I stayed here during the first half of my annual vacation. This was an absolutely perfect location for me, as it was within walking distance of the Ateneum, the famous rail station, tour bus stops and shopping at the Forum, as well as a variety of bars, coffee houses and restaurants. The room was clean, with a comfortable bed and pillows, along with a flat screen tv. the double windows kept the street sounds muffled, so I was able to sleep in quiet. I also found that the bed had an additional remote which allowed me to lift my feet and/or head simultaneously, which was great for reading/watching tv or additional relaxation after a long day of walking on tours. The restaurant and bar downstairs, Lost in Helsinki, was awesome as well, with a great selection of beers and cocktails, as well as great food! Try the salmon soup, the meatballs, or the burger and thank me later! The staff was amazing to me; everyone was friendly, kind and courteous, while remaining professional. The breakfast buffet was an added perk that fueled me up for a full day's touring and shopping. The prices were reasonable enough to keep me on budget, as well! I couldn't want for anything more while staying here and I will stay here again, when I next return to Helsinki (and I will)!!

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Marilynn1161,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. I'm really happy to hear that you liked everything and found our small hotel excellent headquarter for your shopping and sightseeing tours. I hope to see you again at Best Western Hotel Carlton.

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

Whilst this Hotel has a superb location right next to the Central Station, Senate Square, Cathedral area and Market Square with a friendly Reception and Breakfast staff. It is over very over priced and I agree with a lot of other reviews that it is in need of a complete makeover. The bed was clean and comfortable and the bath towels were plentiful but thin and I suppose this was to help with constant mopping up of water from the flooding shower!!!! Our room however was very outdated and it seemed as though we were back in the 1970’s. Breakfast was adequate but nothing special it did however have the normal array of choice as most European breakfast have. Although somewhat disappointed we did have a pleasant stay.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear John S,

Thank you for taking some time to share your Tripadvisor review. I'm happy to hear that you liked our location, staff and breakfast while your stay.

I understand that you might feel our price structure high occasionally as Helsinki is quite expensive especially during the high season. Additionally, we are planning a refurbishment on our 2nd floor and hopefully we will have a new floor of rooms ready in early months of 2019. I hope to see you again at Best Western Hotel Carlton.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 September 2018

After the reservation on Booking.com (condtotions were "free cancellation+payment on arrival") the hotel immediately tried to charge my credit card.
Thank God there wasn't enough money on my card account (yes I did it purposely) so the hotel failed in it.
I immediately canceled my reservation.
It’s a first case in my traveling history – I have never been charged by a hotel if the reservation condition was “free cancellation + payment on arrival”.
I will remember this strange (to say the least) policy and I will inform all my friends and family – to prevent them from the same shock and anger that I had experienced.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Markku L, Johtaja at Hotel Carlton Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Dear marin_milchev,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. Please note that we don't charge free cancellation reservations in advance as we are only making a credit card authorization for one night rate in order to guarantee the reservation. Additionally, guests can pay these reservations upon their arrival or at the check out latest.

Should you require further assistance, be free to contact us via email carlton@aidahotels.fi or by phone +358 9 6841320.