All reviews hotel is located small kids standard scandic hotel view of the river extra bed nice hotel hotel room corridor sleep possibility city maintenance
Reviewed 19 July 2018

Firstly: I realize this is the wrong decade for writing this review. It's 2018, if you haven't managed to stop smoking yet, it is apparently society's job to motherly let you know in a passive aggressive manor that you do not fit into the establishment. This was our first experience when arriving at Klarälven.

We do not want to subject others to our cigarette smoke, I do not expect to be able to smoke anywhere, BUT I do expect to be assigned an area where I am allowed to do so, with a certain level of comfort, and I do expect this area to be separate from dining areas and families. When asking where we could smoke, we were told there was an area down the stairs from the balcony. This was however directly UNDER the balcony where guests where dining just one meter above us. We would have been alot let intrusive to these guests if we were allowed to smoke in the (empty) lounge area 10 meters away on the balcony. There were also no furniture, no ashtray and at the time there was an extremely severe warning for risk of forrest fire, as everything has been void of water for several weeks. This seemed to us like a bad combo. Another issue with this assigned smokers area is that it is directly outside the pool area, nothing makes you feel quite as uncomfortable as having to lurk in the shadows outside a window where under dressed children are playing.

The next smoking area we found was slightly better. There was a big ashtray out front, not even a foot from a lounge area, flooded with no smoking signs on all the tables... I don't know, and frankly don't care what thoughts, or lack there of, management had when they did this, the result is a lot of elder smokers hauled chairs from the lounge area to the other side of the banister and thus finding a place to sit and smoke.

At this point I was vivid. I understand that smoking is not healthy and bad for me, but at the end of the day, myself and millions more do still have this bad habit, and as a provider of a service that we pay for, I expect to be accommodated and made to feel welcome just as other guests, and I expect that the hotel I'm staying at makes an effort to accommodate smokers and non-smokers alike with the same level of comfort.

Thus ends my rant.

Beds were acceptable, the shower felt like being sneezed upon, there was a heat wave but no AC and no fridge in the room. Our room was also at ground level and there were no safety lock on the windows keeping dodgy people out, only an easily opened child lock, which made having the window open only possible while awake and present in the room. There were however a table fan that alleviated somewhat. Luckily the breakfast was lovely and all the staff was nice.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Anki T, Reservationmanager at Scandic Klaralven, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback.
It is appreciated from our side to hear what our guests find good or bad.
We will take your thoughts into consideration.
Have a lovely summer and welcome back!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

Scandic Klaralven consists of a long, two story building close to the river. The hotel is closer to the motorway between Oslo and Stockholm than to the city centre, but it is possible to walk to town. Especially now in summer the location is quite idyllic, with footpaths and the opportunity to have a river bath. I have stayed at this hotel several times before, and my last stay was this weekend. The staff members were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included, as is normal in Scandic hotels in Sweden, and it was up to the usual high standards of this chain of hotels. I had dinner at the hotel one night, a summer grill buffet, which was also quite nice. I can recommend Scandic Klaralven to others going to Karlstad, and I will certainly consider it the next time I am going to Karlstad myself.

Room Tip: Second floor might be preferable to first floor (ground floor).
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Informal and yet professional. Nice location. Good breakfast. Pretty quiet. Simple, but yet sufficient. I’d like to come back. Remember to show films for children that are not scary; for the children.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family