All reviewssparkling watercoffee machinestreet sidetwin bedscity centreself servicebreakfast roomsingle roombotanical gardensperfect locationnice roomuniversitycathedralwifideskmicrowavesweden
Reviewed 15 October 2017

The hotel has a warm atmosphere and it is quite easy to feel "at home". The breakfast is excellent, despite the lack of scrambled eggs (and bacon and sausages for meat eaters). The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only complication I faced during my stay was at check-in. I arrived in the late evening when the reception was unmanned. I received a code for the door from the security guard, whom I could call from outside. The code did not work so the guard had to drive 10 minutes over to the hotel to let me in, both through the main door and into my room, since we could not locate my key card. It all worked out fine, much thanks to the nice security guard who helped me.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows towards the church have better views and are probably much quieter than the ones facing the street.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Helena H, Chef at Akademihotellet, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Dear Cornelia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our warm atmosphere, but we are sorry for the code and key card problem. I am glad the you recieved the help needed from the security company, our cooperation partner. We hope you will consider us again next time you are in town. Welcome back!

Helena Hammarberg E. Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 September 2017

This hotel was great. The location was right in the heart of the campus and easy to walk to the cathedral and the castle. The room was older, but clean and comfortable. The desk attendants were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was good. They also offer parking for approx. $12.00 which was worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Helena H, Chef at Akademihotellet, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear Carol B,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to read that you appreciated your stay with us and we hope to see you soon again. Welcome back!

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Perks include: 1) 24-hour availability in the breakfast area of coffee/tea; still/sparkling water; fresh fruit; cookies; and a microwave for guest use (also glasses, cups, and utensils); 2) a free self-service laundry, with free laundry detergent (and an iron/ironing board); 3) great views of the domkyrka (Uppsala cathedral); even if your room isn't on that side, there are multiple nice seating areas with a view; 4) perfect location for the university or the city center--just a couple of minutes walking from each.

The rooms are actually fairly large for a European hotel of this type. Bathrooms are small, but not as small as some of the other reviews lead me to believe--I'm a big guy and I didn't find the bathroom uncomfortable at all. Single beds. Plenty of lighting. Desk. Large TV. Security safe.

Drawbacks: Breakfast only occasionally includes the good stuff--salmon and brief (2 out of the 8 days I stayed); workout room is just an exercise bike and a few weights in the dungeon.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the domkyrka
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Helena H, Chef at Akademihotellet, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Dear kcbarton101,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoy your stay with us. We hope to see you soon again next time you are in town. Welcome back!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Very good location, near to the city centre and the University. My single room was okay, but as on the front of the hotel very noisy from the road. Beds and bathrooms are very small in the single rooms

Room Tip: avoid room on front of hotel as road is very noisy during the night
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear Ellen A,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you appreciated our central location and that you enjoyed your stay but we are sorry if you were disturb by the traffic. We hope to see you soon again and we recommend that you to book one of our rooms facing the courtyard for a more calmer stay.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

I am, very sadly, downgrading my review of this hotel. I have stayed here previously on many occasions and it has always been excellent - cosy, friendly, clean, and with a variety of amenities. A home away from home, with a laundry and basic kitchens available for guest use. This year, having arrived with some very simple groceries for the week (as eating out in Sweden is expensive!), we discovered that the two kitchens previously on floors 2 and 3 are in the process of being converted into further bedrooms. There is one microwave still available for use, and the staff very kindly put our things in the hotel's main fridge, but it was an imposition on them to keep asking them to put things in or take them out as we needed them and we felt terrible doing so. If nothing else, some warning prior to our stay that the kitchens were being removed would have been nice. I'm really reluctant to stay elsewhere when I visit Uppsala, as I'm so fond of Akademihotellet, but it is no longer offering the amenities I have come to depend upon.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Helena H, Chef at Akademihotellet, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Briony R,
Thank you for your feedback, it is very important to us. I am so sorry for your experience and that we couldn´t live up to your expectations during your stay.

We still have the aim to be a cozy, friendly and clean hotel with amenities for a comfortable hotel stay. Unfortunately the guest kitchens were outdated regarding to fire safety, and due to the high demand on double rooms towards the courtyard we are very pleased to be able to build two new hotel rooms instead. But we are sorry for the lack of information about the conversion and will see to that matter.

Guests are welcome to use the microwave in the breakfast area where also coffee, tea, chocolate, fresh fruit and some cookies are available free of charge.

We hope you will consider us again. Welcome back!

Helena Hammarberg E. Hotel Manager