Hotel Rival
US$ 229
US$ 200
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Birger Jarl(Stockholm)(Great Value!)
US$ 190
US$ 167
US$ 137
US$ 145
1,783 results
All reviewspillow menubenny anderssongreat hotelquiet squareteddy bearold towngamla standeluxe roomfourth floorlovely parkcoffee machineboutique hotelloved this hotelbreakfast was includedlong weekendno air conditioningsubway station
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I recommend this hotel. It is tasteful and situated on a beautiful square in Sodermalm. If you have time, walking to the old town is possible and nice, otherwise a metro ride will take you anywhere in five minutes. Perhaps the best asset of the hotel is its staff, who consistently went out of their way to make sure I had a pleasant and comfortable stay.
The only problem came up at the very end in my taxi ride to the airport. I booked the taxi through the reception for a steep "fixed price" of $75, so I wouldn't have to hassle with street taxis. I was flying across the globe at 5 am and came down five minutes late, and then noticed on the way that the meter read $10 more than the fixed price. After asking, the driver told me that was the fee for being five minutes late, which sounded totally like a scam. I argued with him to no avail, so I called the hotel receptionist who told me the hotel was not responsible for taxi policies!!! Of course I had to remind the receptionist that I didn't catch the taxi on the street and that the policies of their third party vendors had a direct reflection on the guest experience and the hotel's reputation. He continued to argue with me and then he got on the phone with the taxi driver. Upon arriving at the airport, the driver begrudgingly told me he would charge me the original price and bill the hotel for the $10 fee.
Overall this was unnecessarily unpleasant and Rival can benefit from either sharing this information with its clients or - better - screening it's thirtd party vendors.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Moonbathing
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Our stay at the Rival was absolutely magnificent from beginning to end. There was nothing I would or could fault and we had a wonderful and very relaxing time. The staff always went the extra mile to help you, and Sean the concierge was brilliant. I emailed him as soon as we had booked (as his Stockholm tourist blog recommended) and he was amazing. So helpful and courteous, he helped us book movie tickets and even went and got us a tourist map from a museum that he knew was closed when we were there, which he left for us at the front desk when we arrived.
The room was lovely and the bed unbelievably comfortable with gorgeous linen. Everywhere you looked there were special little extra touches that made the stay that much more memorable- like a free DVD rental service and guests corner, where you could go on the internet and make yourself a hot drink at any time.
The meal we had in he restaurant was delicious and the staff were really great. Breakfast was also really good, and the dining room and bar have a lovely ambience. The hotel is in a nice spot that is close to the Tunnelbana so it is very easy to get around.
All in all, if you are going to Stockholm, go to this hotel. You will not regret it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kate3346
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Rival for 2 nights as part of a weekend away. The hotel is lovely, with excellent cocktail bar, brasserie and restaurant. Room quality was excellent, only negative was that the safe in the room was broken. They couldn't fix it over a weekend, however, we were offered another room from the following day.

The room was really nice, luxurious bedding, big ABBA print behind the bed and they give you DVDs to watch, can hire Wii and Playstation as well if that's what you like. Great view onto the main square opposite and really nice bathroom as well. The whole hotel has kind of a kitsch 1970's feel with a modern twist.

Food in the restaurant is really nice and the buffet breakfast in the morning was excellent. They are happy to cook up an omlette or something nice for you inclusive in the buffet cost as well. You can free coffee and tea as well from one of the floors. Free Wifi.

Location wise, it's a 15 minute walk to Gamla Stan but the nearest subway is 1 minute walk away and you can get into all areas of central Stockholm very easily. Staff are very friendly and attentive.

The only thing I would note is that the Rival is clearly a popular choice to go for a cocktail or two on a Friday/Saturday night. There was some noise out the front of the hotel when the revellers left at the end of the evening. If you're one of those revellers then I guess it wouldn't matter to you. Think hotel needs to make an effort to make sure people leaving hotel in early hours of morning keep noise down.

Overall very good hotel, can understand and agree why it's ranked so highly on tripadvisor...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OverSeaOverLand
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel was booked for us by Weekend A La Carte and did not disappoint. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was fab, clean and spacious and what a choice at breakfast! The location of the hotel was great, close to the Old Town and lots of great restaurants. Try the Rival Cafe, really good coffee and food.

Room Tip: we took a superior room, worth every penny
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We went for a long weekend and decided to splash out a bit on this hotel, one of the best decisions ever made. The staff are superb and the hotel overlooks a lovely square. The room was fab and the breakfast was second to none. Its in a great location for getting around Stockholm and close to lots of nice bars etc. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends