“Quirky at first, but you get over it.”
Review of Langholmen Hotell

Langholmen Hotell
Ranked #77 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Quirky at first, but you get over it.”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Stayed here in a private room for four nights, purely because of the prices in Stockholm. It was difficult to find using the map - I suggest following the directions attached to confirmation if you book in advance. I doubt there would be a double room within the hostel as I imagine most private rooms are bunk beds like ours was. Linen is not included in the price either and payable on check-in - about 15 Swedish Kroner each per night.

The hostel has a good kitchen, and use of the fridge is provided with a 50 Swedish Kroner deposit. The fridge is broken into sections with locks so your stuff is safe.

The room, as often described, is very small, but quite modern, and the bathroom is nice and clean. the corridors outside the rooms are great, especially looking down from the corridor with the view down to the bottom - looks like every old prison movie.

There was no restaurant/bar there, closest was about a 5-10 minute walk back towards the metro station. There you will find an outdoor restaurant which seems to have live music every night, a tapas bar and a couple of italian places. there is also an indian and a cheap takeaway pizza and kebab place down one of the side streets if you feel your wallet is taking a beating. There is also a supermarket and bottle shop (open limited hours) next to the metro station if you would rather cook yourself.

The metro station is about 4 stops to the central station, and there are also some buses that go in that direction as well nearby, but we didn't use them.

Overall probably the cheapest place in Stockholm, but a couple staying in bunk beds for four nights, and the travelling to the metro thrown in, I don't think that accommodation in Stockholm will ever please the budget traveller.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed at the hotel for two nights which is probably all that we could have taken because of the small rooms. But we knew about them ahead of time so I am not complaining about them. Luckily the temperature was cool at night otherwise it definitely would not have been a good stay since the masonry building really retains the heat of the day and there was no fans or A/C in our room.

The area is beautiful and good for walking. To get to the train station it is about a 20-25 minute walk uphill which you should be aware of. Public transportation in Stockholm is very good.

If it were not for the incredibly bad attitude by the young man working the reception desk I would probably not be so critical of the facility but his complete lack of customer service on two separate occasions really made me write this review to warn others. The night before we departed I went to the reception desk to ask their opinion oh the best way to get to the airport from the hotel and this guy was extremely unhelpful. I was asking for his opinion on a taxi or train and he told me to do whatever I wanted in a voice purposely meant to let me know he was not interested in providing me with information. The next morning was the day of our departure and I was hoping that he was not still at the desk but unfortunately he was. I handed him our two room keys and told him we were checking out. He took the keys without saying anything and went back to typing on his keyboard. I stood there for a few minutes, right in front of him, while he typed. Finally he sneered at me and said "is there anything else?" I said I did not know we were through (normally the clerk checks for any other late charges). If he would have said thank you I hoped you enjoyed your stay or something like that I would have known he was through with me instead of ignoring me after I handed my keys to him. I honestly figured he did not like Americans for whatever reason, but while my wife and I talked about this outside together while we waited for our taxi another couple who were looking at their map said that this clerk had been very rude to them also and they were Belgium, not Americans. He needs to be in a job where he does not come in contact with people.

I want to make sure I include that all other employees I met there we friendly and courteous.

As long as you are aware of the pricey and small un-cooled rooms, expensive food and location to public transportation you can make your own decision if the uniqueness of this hotel is worth it to you for a stay. I personally would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank doglanta
Merseyside
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I stayed two nights 14-15 May 2009 as part of a busines visit to Scandinavia. The prison theme has been done very well and it feels like a historic building, but he finishings such as the en suite bathrooms are of a very high standard with excellent attention to detail in the small bedrooms or cells - it feels a bit like a luxury ship's cabin. The food at breakfast and in the bar is very good, I didn't try the restaurant. The hotel is perhaps a bit further from the metro than I anticipated so it would be best to take a taxi the first time, but the island location is very peaceful. The history of the building is very interesting and it is good to see an older building re-used imaginatively rather than being knocked down. The free internet access worked very well and th reception staff were very helpful with directions, ordering taxis etc. Sweden is expensive but this hotel seemed like good value for money given the very high standards of service.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We had a great 3 nights at the "jail" - staying in a double cell with our two toddlers - 4 and 2. Size of room was perfect and very clean - even under the bed when we were looking for lost crayons. Loved the large hallways which provided ample room for prams. The breakfast was huge and a highlight of my trip. Great value for money. Even the pub was fun for a casual dinner and we splurged to eat in the main restaurant which was delightful and kid friendly too. Only negative is the short trip to the museums - but no problem via trains and nice to stay in a less touristy area. Local restaurants cheaper there too. What a treat for families and I would highly recommend it for the novelty as well as service, cleanliness, and value.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank mumwithkids71
Fredericton
Reviewed 9 January 2008

What a wonderful place to stay! My husband and I had a two person cell with en suite. The whole place was spotless, the beds comfortable and the breakfast - well, it was really, really good. Lots of Swedish flat breads and other goodies to tempt the palate.

One evening we dined in the restaurant, had a great meal and I finished mine with basil ice cream. If only I could make that at home, it was fantastic.

I would definitely recommend anyone to stay at this hotel if only for the unique experience.

If I ever go to Stockholm again I would most certainly stay at the Langholmen.

• Liked — That it was completely unique.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple