“Interesting experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langholmen Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Langholmen Hostel
Toronto, Canada
“Interesting experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here our first night in Stockholm and it was confusing trying to figure out how to get to the island. We took a very expensive cab from the train station. The concept is interesting and the building was clean and well cared for. The room was a former cell with bunkbeds and a window and the washroom was another cell with a door knocked through.It was very bright , modern and clean. It had a phone and a TV which isn't standard issue in hostels.I made the mistake of reading the historical booklet on the history of the jail and some of it's inmates- spooked me a bit! You rarely saw anyone in the halls, very quiet. The area itself was lovely with waterways and garden plots. It wasn't as far from central Stockholm as we initially thought either.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dharma4
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Taipei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. It's very clean and the staff there is very friendly and helpful. We called them that there was something wrong with the fire alarm at night about 11pm and they came to check and fix immediately. And the "prison" atmosphere is so special for me and my friend. It's also free to see the museum if you are their guest. I have to say the location maybe not so perfect as some hostels in Stockholm but this hostel is so good that I will stay the same hostel if I got the chance to stay in Stockholm.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I generally do not have terribly high expectations for hostels. Just need a bed and a place to eat. But Langholmen made me realize that I actually have a few other fairly basic preferences. Or rather, needs.
Like ventilation (stale smell in the hallways). And somewhere to chat with others. And light. And breakfasts that come in under $10. I noted on here that they are apparently a large spread but if you stay for more than three days you're easily meeting the amount of a full nights stay just in breakfast! (currently about $13 American).
I appreciate that it is a unique and novel idea but I pulled the trigger on leaving early when a cockroach ran past the outlet I had my phone plugged into.
In their defense of one complaint, I also have a unique need in that i have some back problems. Where some folks may have noted that the beds were comfortable, the thin pads unfortunately exacerbated my condition. Can't really blame the hostel for that though.
My biggest issue was that, given the time of year I stayed and the poor location of Langholmen outside the city, once 10 o'clock rolled around and my roommates went to sleep there was complete and utter silence. no birds, no heating system sounds, no water pipes. No signs of life. After laying awake for hours listening to my ears ring from the excessive quiet I gave in at about 4 AM and booked a hotel for my last night. If you are a city folk and find comfort in having people around this is NOT the place for you!

I will close out with the good things so as not to deter if you are ok with the above: The registration area is very welcoming. The museum is interesting. Bathrooms are very clean and showers are comfortable. Kitchen is functional and even though it is pretty far out, it's walkable to transportation.

In all fairness I will say this: Go during summer with your buddies, you will have a much better experience.

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank blair b
Española en Oslo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I have been 2 nigths in the hostel. Was pretty difficult from the metro station to find it, and when i was there i feel strange. I was staying where years ago, people couldn´t go out... is the concept what i feeel dissapointed with, because it is quite sarcastic to pay for some cool place in where you can read and see how the prisioners were living in. I did it and afterwards it leaves to be cool to become in sarcastic. Besides the concept, my room was a 4-beds one with a share toilet.
like in other hostels, but i miss a common area to enjoy and meet people: they have a rest-area but i don´t feel that was a place in where stay talking and having a good time with others as the rooms are just beside it and you can disturb the other guests.
great area, I´ve seen a fox in the park!!! that is amazing! Enjoy your visit and enjoy the wonderful city of Stockholm!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed in this unique hotel for a few days.
It's a bit out of the centre but the metro runs often.
The island that the hotel is on is worth a quick walk around after breakfast, which is the typical scandanavian smorgasboard, was what you would expect.

Now the bad part, the housekeeping was not up to standard. The glasses were not cleaned on our stay, neither were the towls they were not replaced just folded and put back on the warmer. Not enough paper was left in the toilet, but the room was spotless when we first entered it, it was just the day to day upkeep that had problems.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple