“Authentic & Nice”
Review of Scandic Gamla Stan

Scandic Gamla Stan
Ranked #42 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Great hotel with authentic ''old times'' design. Makes you feel as you would travel back in time but all extras of the modern life are kept. Rooms are smallish but still very practical with big flat screen TV on the wall.
The best asset of this hotel is its roof terrace where you can enjoy some drinks with great views of the old town.
Breakfast is average. Wider selection of food would be appreciated.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am not going to reiterate the praises of other reviewers about the cleanliness of the hotel, the terrific breakfasts and the convenient location to bus, metro and ferry. Every word of their reviews is true. I will add that there are two terraces on the 2nd and 4th floors where guests may enjoy their breakfasts although it is self serve. Bring your food from the breakfast room to the terrace. This is a nice place to read or share a drink with your partner, too, especially if you are trying to save money. A glass of wine at a local restaurant in Gamla Stan will cost 2.5-3 times what you will pay if you purchase from the government store, the System Bolaget, just across the street from the hotel.

Some people have complained about street noise. If this is a problem, request a quiet room when you make your reservation, which is what I did. The staff at Rica Gamla Stan is outstanding, willing to help with each request or problem. We had a standard room on 3rd floor - quiet and very comfortable. During the third day of our stay, my husband and I returned to find water running down one of the interior walls. There had been a heavy hail storm earlier. A maintenance person arrived within minutes of our contacting the staff to confirmed the severity of the problem. The manager and other staff arrived and we were quickly moved to another and nicer room on the same floor. All of this took no more than 15 minutes and we were able to continue with our sightseeing as planned! We loved staying at the Rica Gamla Stan and would definitely stay here again should we return to Stockholm.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank radlil
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed here from July 18 - 21 (yes, we're checking out in another hour and a half) and could not be more pleased with our accomodations.

Due to a last minute change to our itinerary by Delta, we arrived in Stockholm at the ungodly hour of 9:30 AM so obviously our room was not ready. We had originally booked a double, but as we were early the staff asked us if we would mind having two singles for the same rate. My 14 year old son immediately chimed in with "Yes!!!" and was delighted to have his own room.
We were in rooms 101 and 102 (this being Europe means the second story of the building). The single rooms are small by US standards but they were fine for our purposes. We had plenty of room for our suitcases, the beds were very comfortable, the TVs worked, the bathrooms were clean with modern fixtures. As our rooms did not face the street, we had no problem at all with noise. The walls in this building are very solid and the only sound I could hear was if my son opened there door to his room (which was not a bad thing in my opinion). True, the hotel does not have A/C but I can't imagine why anyone would need it in Stockholm. It seldom gets above 71 or 72 F even in July. The windows open and in terms of climate control, we were never uncomfortable.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location was perfect. It's right in the heart of Gamla Stan, just a block and a half from the T-bahn and a five minute walk from the Royal Palace. Another good thing is that Lilla Nygatan is just a little bit out of the way of the crowds so that it's a bit more quiet and less hectic than some of the other hotels in Gamla Stan.

The free breakfast is absolutely wonderful: fresh breads and pastries, meats, cheeses, eggs, bacon, pancakes, fruit, yogurt, just about anything one could want for breakfast. I only took one trip through the buffet line but even then with all the food in the morning it made lunch unnecessary.
I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing back of building or interior patio are quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights from 25 to 29th June this year. I had never been to Stockholm before and decided I must stay in the Old part of the city "Gamla Stan". It was a very good idea, and this hotel ,which had good or excellent ratings on many sites, was an excellent choice for me. My room ( a single, 303) was small but very cosy and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but with all the amenities you would expect. One funny thing was the magnifying mirror was installed at a height which only allowed me to see my forehead ! (but many Swedes are much taller than I am, being only 1.63cm ! ) This made me laugh when I discovered the fact, and it was not very important.
The room overlooked a small street and beautiful roofs. In the night, approximately until midnight, the street was a little noisy, with some bars nearby, and people taking advantage of the mild weather to stand outside the bar, talking and laughing.
The buffet breakfast was incredible, really well stocked with all kinds of breads, cheeses, sausages, eggs, smoked salmon, marinated fish, Swedish meatballs, and more. There were some different fruit smoothies every day, and the personnel was very friendly. The breakfast room is not very big, but you can sit at a table with other people, it's no problem. The personnel at the desk were also very nice and helpful, and on the last day I was able to print my boarding pass for my flight from their computer at no extra cost.
The location of this hotel could not have been better, it was very close to many interesting sites, and the Gamla metro station was only minutes away. If I go back to Stockholm - which I hope to do, as it is a magnificent city- I will certainly stay at this hotel again and I will recommend it to all my friends who want to visit Stockholm.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Frenchgirl60
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Although the location was great, it was very disappointing to be in a room on the ground floor right on the street. The room seemed slightly shabby but maybe it was just that we could never leave our windows or curtains open without feeling like people were peering in our room. We asked immediately to see if there was a room on another floor but were told they were fully booked. Disappointing as we were there for 5 full nights and we had paid in advance - this was the best they could do? So there was also the noise level to deal with at night and the fact that we couldn't have our windows open at night to get some fresh air. That being said the staff was pleasant and the breakfast buffet was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple