“Great friendly service”

Bar Nonno
Ranked #10 of 122 Restaurants in Northcote
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 28 January 2016

Great food, great service. The atmosphere consisted of a bar area out front with a number of rooms as you walked through the restaurant. the first room was great for couples and the back room would be great for big groups. Atmosphere was warm and inviting and the food, although not really generous in size was definitely big on flavour. I had the tuna tartare and followed that up with the snapper fillet. Both dishes were delicious. Other members of our party had the beef carpaccio, arancini and the roasted beetroot for entree and the duck, lamb and pork for mains. Everyone was satisfied. The wine list was extensive, but we settled for the French chenin blanc which was delightful. The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive. A great place for friends to chat and enjoy a great meal together.

Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

I have been here several times - good wine (and with the option of take away wines also) knowledgeable young funky staff and all my choices for food have been great.

Today I treated myself (alone) and I had a most delicious glass of gruner and a sensational octopus starter.

Perfect.

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

great ambience, cool entrance with a number of small cozy tabled areas, we were at the back section, and had no noise issues until very late in our meal.
prosseco was lovely, and wait staff generally kept our water glasses filled (only had to ask a couple of times)
we had the arancini balls - Amazing!!best I've had in a long while. zuchinni flowers with ricotta - tasty... and the prawns in a batter - ok but not my favorite.
for mains we had the minute steak, well cooked and generous serve, the chips were over salted, and the salad merely ice berg lettuce with a dressing .....
we also shared a Calabrian pizza - very very spicy!!! enjoyable.
we naturally tried a variety of desserts - frozen parfait, apple tart and chocolate fondant .... lovely!
would def go back and try a few
more dishes, pleasant evening with mates.

Reviewed 13 October 2015

This place had really lovely staff.
We didn't eat much because we left after the entre because it was so bad.
We ordered fried zucchini flowers. We spend a lot of time in Italy so know they should be light yellow in colour. These were almost black. Very overcooked. Normally if you're filling them with a light cheese such as ricotta, you need to add an anchovy for taste. No such luck here. They were almost burnt and very bland. At $7 for one zucchini flower, which is in itself stingey - couldn't you at least serve 2? - it was really a waste of money.
The wine list and atmosphere were excellent.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

The setting was promising: three areas, the front has bar stools, and a long share table with 8 seats I think. The middle section (my favourite) is smallish, maybe 4 tables, and a warm intimate ambience, the back area, suited best for families or larger groups is well-light, although too bright for my liking. We were seated in front of the bar and the sound system speaker is located at the bar, so being so close made it difficult to hear my fellow diners; the music was appropriate for dining. We ordered a number of starters, and although the quality was great, the quantity was poor - certainly not value for money. We had ordered a pizza to share, and one seeing the smaller size of the starters, had to order another pizza. The pizza had a nice wholemeal crust that was breadlike in texture, the topping on the "nonno' was good. The 2nd pizza had carrots (we knew this in the order) but was very dissappointing - carrots don't add anything to the equation. The wines were great, but as I said value for money for food - no way. In fact, as we were not satiated, we ate something when we got home. The pizza up the road at Denn are far superior and better value for money. Each to their own but Bar Nonno is a no-no for us.

1  Thank GabbiDal