“Hits the Spot for Basic American Breakfast Need, But Try the Ginger Shot”
Review of The Union Kitchen

The Union Kitchen
Ranked #144 of 2,926 Restaurants in Copenhagen
Price range: US$ 14 - US$ 91
Cuisines: American, French, Italian, Danish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Indre By (Inner City)
Reviewed 14 July 2018

A week into Florence/Copenhagen trip, I tried my hotel's (The Strand) breakfast, which was expensive to my thinking but did have many, many individual items. Disappointed or underwhelmed, I used Yelp and found this place! Food in Copenhagen is expensive. But if you're just needing scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and americano coffee, this place is for you. If I remember right, it was $17 US. The coffee may have brought it to $20.

They offer ginger shots, apparently a new craze I hadn't heard of in the states. It's supposedly good for you. The couple next to me ordered it and after a couple questions, so did I. OK, it burns going down, and after with a comforting warmth. I don't think it cured anything, but I did order it again the next day. Enjoy!

Nicholas P, Chef  at The Union Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hi Jeff

Reviewed 11 July 2018

We were recommended to this restaurant by our hotel when we inquired about good, local breakfast places. The location was great as it was close to our hotel on a side street right off of Nyhavn. The food, coffee and green drink was very good, tasty and plated well Overall, we were pleased with the food quality.

The atmosphere is very casual with tables indoors and outdoors. It was a Friday morning and we did not have reservations so the staff informed us that we had to sit outside at the small tables that are very close to each other. A side note: the morning sun shines right on you and there is no protection by umbrella or awning.

The service outside was ok, not great, as it was a bit slow and disjointed. They have an interesting cappuccino thing going on where they stencil cocoa powder words in the milk foam with sayings such as 'Instagram me' and then also some rather off-color choice words used, which to me was a bit offensive.

Should I return to Copenhagen, I would be sure to book a reservation inside for breakfast and I would go there for lunch sometime also. The prices are on the higher side.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Came here for breakfast one morning with my husband and had a great meal. This place opened earlier than a lot of the cafes - which was great for us as we were struggling to find a place that was open early enough for us to eat breakfast cuz of our jetlag.

Service was great and the place is very comfy and cozy. It's right next to Nyhavn too! The food and coffee were fantastic - quite pricy but at least it was delicious. We had the fried chicken waffle and pulled pork bowl - both were very very good.

Hi Sarah

Reviewed 9 July 2018

It was a bit pricey, yes, but totally worth it. One unfriendly lady, but the rest of the staff was great. Food was delicious, the mimosas were the best. Fully recommend it!

Hi Silvana

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Reading some less positive reviews has me not recognising the place at all. We ate here a Friday morning in May and service was friendly. The place was packed but our reservation made sure we were seated immediately.

Both of us ordered the hearty brunch platter to keep us going until after normal lunch hour, and quite a few others had ordered the same. Plates began to arrive in quick succession after a bit of a wait, but we enjoyed a nice coffee in the meantime. Bread was also brought out earlier.

The wide range of food was a surprise, with savoury and sweet parts in good balance. Our fresh juices added a fresh kick.

The only minuses were the uncomfortable chairs, slightly too small table, and quite energetic atmosphere. I’m slow to fully wake up in the mornings, and not having had coffee until we stepped in here took its toll, but the crowd was easy-going and the interior decor tastefully trendy yet not too loud.

My companion had brunched here before and I certainly would visit again.