“Beware!!!”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hydra B&B and Inns
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Beware!!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I would definitely not recommend to make a reservation here. What ever you do, do not transfer money to the owner if you still wish to stay here. Don't make the reservation through their own website. Me and my girlfriend did and unfortually the big strike hit Athen and no boats were leaving the harbour. We talked to the owner during this time and he promised us our money back, we should just have to pay the transfermoney. Because we wasn't sure if we would be able to leave the island if we would get stucked there, so we took that offer. Back home again he refused to pay back the 2 nights, just for one of those.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Groo99
nereids, Owner at Nereids Guest House, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear Sir,
We are very sorry you that you were disappointed by our services. As refered to your review, we told you indeed that we would return to you the 2 days of your deposited advance, on our first phone convirsation when the strike was going on in Athens, although we had informed you that there was a way to come to the island. Nevertheless I would like to remind you that after that telephone conversation, you've sent me an e-mail changing the days of your reservation for the days of the weekend to come. Furthermore, after that e-mail, you cancelled your reservation at a last minute's notice fearing of a new strike that never happened. Thus we found appropriate to return one day of your advance so that you didn't lose both days of your deposit.

We will be glad to welcome you another time.

Best regars,

Kostas Voulgaris,
Nereids Guest House
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I spent a few days on the beautiful Island of Hydra in May and stayed at Nereids Guest House.
This is a really lovely place. Hydra is a charming island but I enjoyed my stay also thanks to such great accommodation.
The building is beautiful and elegant. The rooms are spacious as well as comfortably and exquisitely furnished. The one I was given was very clean and had a luxurious bathroom.
The guesthouse is in an idyllic peaceful setting, just a few minutes away from the busy harbour. The perfect place for rest and relaxation!
The owners are very kind and helpful and the price is so great for such quality accommodation.
In a few words I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We spent 5 days at this lovely place. The walk to the guesthouse was easy and worth it to find such beautiful surroundings. The owners were welcoming and helpful often taking the time to share their knowledge of their island. We loved our time on Hydra.

• Stayed May 2011
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 19 January 2011

After 2 days in Athens, I chose Hydra island, hearing that it is car-free and a good retreat for hiking and chilling out. I selected Nereids Guest House from the internet as their price was reasonable and the owner could communicate in English. I heard about the cobbled streets and hilly steps, so being 350 m away from the port on a flat route was also comforting.

Arriving after dark at 7pm, I was surprised to be greeted by the owner's father at the Hydra Port. Of course, being low season, it was not difficult to spot an Asian tourist embarking off the Flying Dolphin but kudos to him for picking me up as I was prepared with my compass to tab all the way through the cobbled streets. The walk was not far but be mindful that the cobbled streets do not go easy on wheeled luggage. So make sure either backpacks are in order or sturdy wheels are ready for a rough troll through the quaint Hydra lanes.

The guest house looked very well kept and most rooms are located on a patio a few steps up but overlooking a beautiful view of the bay and mountain side. Great for al-fresco breakfast or sunset drinks on this terrace. My room had a warm feel with wooden beams and stone walls. It felt like being in a medieval mansion but without the dust and cobwebs! There was a small empty fridge available with 1 litre of mineral water for immediate consumption. I did ask if the tap water was drinkable and the owner said it is fine though there is some after-taste. I was fine with this as I boil my water and use it for tea and coffee.

Though some shops and restaurants are open, the winter season is quiet and some retailers are closed for their own vacation. So word of advice - bring your own snacks, tea bags, instant coffee and whatever fresh fruit or milk that you need from Athens.

This guest house does not have a reception, so it is not like a hotel but the owner is usually around in the mornings or evenings and their family lives just next door if you need any assistance. Share your idea with the owner about your stay in Hydra and he might offer some good advise, such as hiking trails and where to eat. Overall, it was a very discreet environment and no one came to bother me.

One minor thing - though the wireless internet is free, the signal could not be received from inside my room. I had to take my laptop into the patio to surf the internet. It's not a problem but it can be chilly in the winter evenings and you need to have a laptop with strong battery life or a long power cable with a two prong plug. If it rains, I guess your laptop needs to be "waterproof" !!

It is a standing shower, which is hot and powerful. Shampoo and shower gel is provided but bring your own toothbrush and toothpaste. The towels are plentiful but quite coarse..not the fluffy kind. Good for exfoliating your body, I guess...

The double bed is good and firm for a single person but can be a tight fit for two large-size persons. Television may not be important but the signal is poor with fuzzy picture. It did encouraged me to look at the night stars instead. Overall, I had a great sleep, especially after the coastal walks and fresh air. There is a friendly Greek restaurant just 20 meters from the house and ask for their fish selection for a good grill. Meal for one person came up to about 25 Euros.(Starter/Main/Drink/Dessert)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Bazzer73
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Really cozy rooms with a good aesthetic. Very friendly owner.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple