All reviews top floor taxi rank where breakfast is served venetian walls floor restaurant nice place to stay modern rooms cretan hospitality would definitely stay here again rooftop bar booked this hotel breakfast room air conditioning the bus nice room min walk close to the airport
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The staff, namely Dimitrios, makes this hotel. It does have a wonderful breakfast, entrance foyer & bar area. Fortunately Dimitrios gave us a room at the back as it was a Greek holiday & it was noisy on the street. The room itself didn't match the front facade or the dining/bar/breakfast area or entrance foyer. Shower issues, a door that wouldn't lock properly & extra blankets in the cupboard that were soiled (we needed them from the cupboard because it was unseasonably cold). Overall it's not a 5 star or even a 3 star, but the staff go out of the way to make your stay pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose back rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I am a professor, traveling in Greece with a small group of college students in order to study archaeology, architecture, and ancient literature. On previous trips I've stayed in other hotels in the city, but none quite as comfortable and well staffed as Castello City. While the other reviews citing some noisiness are quite accurate (as is more or less inevitable in this city, as the youths are apparently quite deaf and somnolent, and therefore require extraordinarily loud car stereos in order to stay awake while aimlessly driving around at night), it was nothing to keep me up at night.

What merits an excellent review (for both the beds and the water pressure in the showers might rank as merely "very good") is the staff. Not only are they consistently helpful, courteous, and good natured, but they go well beyond what I would normally call "above and beyond." We are not leaving for our 10pm ferry to Athens until 8pm at the earliest, and have been worrying for days what we were going to do between the inevitable 10:30am checkout time and leaving for the ferry. Not only has the hotel extended us a 2pm checkout time (free of charge) they are also providing their conference room to use for our afternoon seminars until we leave for the boat.

Also, did I mention that the beds are comfortable and the showers pleasant? OH - and there's a bathtub. A titchy European one to be sure, but a damn sight better than the drain in the middle of the bathroom you're sure to find in most other places around here. And pretty decent free Wi-Fi. And breakfast has a view of the sea over the 16th century Venetian walls. A short walk to just about everywhere (but that's partly because it's Heraklion and everywhere is more or less next to everywhere else).

Room Tip: Perhaps go for something without a view, on the inside of the hotel; I couldn't complain about my room being too noisy, but I know anything overlooking a street in this city is liable to shake from the passing bass systems.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank John O
Reviewed 21 January 2013

If you stay here forgo the view and ask for a room facing away from the street. I've been sleeping with earplugs! But the rooms are clean and the beds good; the staff is very friendly and the breakfast is fine. I am traveling with a group of college students and we are very happy. Sound travels in the hotel as well as out but it's a good value and we can walk everywhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I visited heraklio for five days for bussiness trip at November of 2012.As I saw outside its look nice in a good position not close to the center of the town but too close to visit it by foot.First of all you must know that heraklio is one of the towns you cannot find easily to park your car.Fortunately the hotel rent some parking spaces in a private parking a few meters from the hotel(without extra charge).We arrived with my partners early because the ship from piraeus arriving at 07.00.The rooms are not ready so has to wait until 12.00 to get inside the rooms to rest.The receptionist told us to visit the restaurant to have breakfast ant take a coffee without told us that was not free,the waitress told us for first time when we finished our breakfast.By myself I payed 6 euros only for a cup of american coffee!!!
The room was one of the standars with city view a twin one with a too small bathroom but clean enough.There is free wi fi in all the areas.Just ask the code from the receptionist.I payed 35 euros per day.

Room Tip: Try to get a superior room bigger and renavated.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Because my wife had an accident while on holiday, my insurance company put me in the Castello. I did not know what to expect but was pleasantly suprised at the welcome and the concern of all the staff. nothing was to much trouble for them, from the manager to the cleaners. a special mention must be made for Maria the waitress in the dining room. she went the extra mile for me,letting me talk about my wife and her injury and how she was getting on.I called her my angel and she was, she helped to ease the stress I was going through. Insurance company's dont make things easy, but that is another story.
I have no hesitation in recomending this hotel to anybody. When booking ask for a room away from the road, that's my only complaint, noisey main road.
May I once again thank all the staff for thier help and support dueing my stay and I hope to see you all in the future. MANY THANKS

Room Tip: Book away from main road
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo