“More than a beer bar -- an amazing experience”
Review of Rudi's Bierhaus

Rudi's Bierhaus
Ranked #53 of 510 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2018

I have seen my fair share of beer bars. Rudi's was the first one in Greece, though. We didn't know it existed, we just stumbled upon it and we HAD to enter because we couldn't miss a beer bar.

We planned to stay for 20 mins. We left after three hours and a half and came back three more times during our one-week stay in Chania.

Why?

Well, not only did we get to try amazing Greek craft beers, but we also learned A LOT about them and about international beers.

Rudi, the owner, is an encyclopedia of beer and he's happy to suggest the best beer for anyone. Whatever your favourite hops "poison" is, he'll have something amazing for you to try.

Do ask for suggestions, even if you fancy yourself a connoisseur. You'll be amazed.

We had an amazing time talking to Rudi about anything you can think of and I think his openness and honesty are what brought us back so many times.

We'll definitely be back in Chania and at Rudi's Bierhaus!

PS: I'm a nitpicker. I really am. I can find fault anywhere and, while I can ignore minor faults, I can always come up with suggestions to improve a restaurant, a bar or a hotel. This time, I am at a loss. There's nothing missing or "off" in Rudi's bar. I wouldn't change a thing!

rudibierhaus, Owner at Rudi's Bierhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

that's very kind of you, so nice words for my little beerworld, thanks a lot. and you've to know i passed a very nice time with you, hope to see you somewhere in that world, again. have a nice summer!!!!

Reviewed 14 July 2018

It rarely happens to me that someone gets to teach me a thing or two about beer. I love the thing, the waiters at virtually all the beer bars in my home town know me, and I occasionally brew the damn thing myself. Well, Rudi is one of the people from whom I found out a couple of new things about beer.

His bar is incredibly well stocked, with an excellent selection of local beers *and* import beers. The selection is obviously the work of someone who knows about beer and wants to share his knowledge, rather than simply attract tourists: no Delirium, but an excellent selection of Chimay beers, including some rare stuff that's really hard to find; no Bud Light (I think?) but several excellent American beers. The "classic" selection includes the likes of Weihenstephaner and DAB. It's genuinely impressive and very well presented.

The local beer selection was also impressive and it forever changed my opinion of Greek beer. I suspected Greece has a good craft beer scene but I had only one contact with it, and it was thoroughly disappointing. Rudi was nice enough to walk me through all the big names of the Greek beer scene, patiently answered all my silly questions about them, and even offered us a few bottles that were not on sale to take home with us.

And, look, beer aside, Rudi is a great guy. We spent hours talking about everything you could imagine, and exchanged email addresses so that we could continue talking about everything you could imagine. His knowledge goes far beyond the realm of beer, and his good spirits made every evening we spent here a little better. You should visit this place even if you don't drink beer.

Cheers, Rudi! I'll write you soon!

well thank you also for your nice words. i'm very glad that you liked your visits at our little place. hope that we'll see us, where ever at our beautiful planet, hand hopefully drink a beer together. as you know, my favourites are the belgians, so belgium would be the perfect place to meet us and there i would guide you through a beerworld you never had dreamed of. so thanks again and take care.....

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I accept that I am in a minority here but I found the owner thoroughly irritating and he spoiled the experience of visiting. I found him pushy and lecturing whilst I was looking at the beer list instead of letting me make my own choice.

It cost him business, we only called in twice and left each time after one drink.

rudibierhaus, Owner at Rudi's Bierhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

well, what should i say....i'm pushy....i think there are allways strange people arround us and one of those maybe you are!!!! buy anyway, thanks for visiting!!!

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Wow! If you want a beer experience, this is the place! Just chatting with this amazing man , Rudi, was an absolute treat. Talk about a beer expert! He also takes the time to find you what you like or prefer instead of pushing whatever is his most profitable brew. I was able to try 3 different brews (Franziskaner, Triple Karmeliet, and Westmalle Trappist) and received a wonderful explanation of each. It was like brewery tour by a brewmaster without leaving the room. Awesome and impressive! If you consider yourself a brew connaseur, this is the only place you need to consider. This would be impressive in any US city much less in Chanita Greece.

We also had a going away "party" here for 20 people that was fantastic as well. Fair winds and following seas my brother!

rudibierhaus, Owner at Rudi's Bierhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

i thank you soo much for visiting our little place and thank you for your nice words. wish you the best for all your life, take care and who knows, maybe one day we'll drink beer together again!!!

Reviewed 25 May 2018

Being in the beer biz, I've been to my fair share of the best beer bars in the world and Rudi's Bierhaus easily makes the list of the best of the best. They have an excellent selection, carefully crafted and sourced, proper glassware and proper sanitation and storage temperatures.

Rudi is passionate, knowledgeable and most importantly, a real publican. He is a visionary, promoting world class beer in what is basically a beer wasteland, Greece. My hat is off to you, Rudi. Thank you

rudibierhaus, Owner at Rudi's Bierhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

mike thank you for visiting our little place and thank you for the nice words...hope we'll meet somewhere sometime again at this world. take care!!!!