“Another majestic night at one of the best places Chania has to offer”
Review of Ta Chalkina

Ta Chalkina
Ranked #77 of 496 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really I don't know were to start from.... I've visited this place again after a year from my last holidays. It is just getting better and better like the maturing of the good wine. The service is super friendly and spot on. The ambience of this place is amazing. They had a live event with Cretan music which was amazing. The food it is delicious and well presented. The whole dining experience it is perfect for someone who needs a nice place to eat and fell full with only few plates. We had the sfakiani pita which was served with honey... just delicious, the kolokythokeftedes served with an amazing sauce, grilled octopus and the special of the day which was apaki (pork smoked meat) with a sauce of honey and mustard... just to die for... we of course accompanied it with the most amazing tsikoudia I've ever tasted. Well done guys, keep up what you are doing. This place deserves to be first... see you soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Busy nigth in the middle of the High Season, all restaurants are fine-tuned to deliver. Almost all.
We arrived four adults around 9pm on a Thursday, waited 10-15 minutes to be offered a menu. After additional 15 mins during which we had chosen, a waiter came around and informed us of “Today’s specialities”. Wrong timing. We stood by our choices.
5 mins later (five), 2 were served the main courses. 20 mins later came the third and yet 15 mins later the last. The food as such was ok, but it fell behind.
Then we wanted to pay and, yes, it took a full 30 mins to get that piece settled. I actually had to insist pretty hard. Walking is not an option, but my youngest (15) asked “Dad, what are we paying for...?”.
Could we have spotted it? Yes, as my avg restaurant score is pretty high, I misread this. My wife didnt; kitchen was chaotic, a good determinator.
Check the kitchen before ordering, and be ready for loud music.
To the waiters; you did what you could but tell the Boss to do what he must. to provide you with better conditions...

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This was probably the only restaurant in the old port of Chania that didn't have an touristy feel to it, but instead something a bit more traditional. Atmosphere was pretty good with traditional cretan music, food was excellent (what we ordered anyway) and surprisingly well priced. Service was very quick and polite.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is supposedly a cretean restaurant but in fact it has average Greek food.
The servers told us that the most of the fish in the menu is frozen. And every server seems to be running all the time from one table to the next. They don't pay attention to their customers nor show any respect when serving food.
This was really a terrible experience and the worst experience we had in ChaniA

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

We came here with a local friend. I got salad, fava bean purée, grape leaves and the pie with greens (note: I didn’t ask if the pastry was vegan) and roasted potatoes. This was basically everything vegan on their menu, they had a few additional vegetarian things as well. The fava bean was the best we had in Chania, super fluffy and delicious. Everything else was also delicious, and we got very good bread and olives with it. My friends enjoyed their meat dishes as well. During the evening there is very loud traditional music, we came for lunch and enjoyed the harbor view.