“Good Value, Small Accomodations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Amazon Hotel

BEST WESTERN Amazon Hotel
Ranked #47 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Minneapolis, MN
“Good Value, Small Accomodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed in the Amazon Hotel for one month while based in Athens for a class.

Upside: The location is really great. I was within walking distance of everything I could ask for. If you need to go further, the public train is a few blocks away and with that you can easily reach the coast and suburbs. This area is not very car friendly, keep that in mind if you plan on renting a car. The hotel is very clean and tidy and they serve a great breakfast every morning.

Downside: The hotel is very small, in all respects. The elevator can barely fit a person and their luggage. Shower is small and takes some maneuvering to get used to. Beds are really slim and my mattress kept sliding off onto the floor.

Fine place to stay for a place to crash right in the middle of Athens. I would recommend elsewhere if you like to do more "living" in your hotel rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed in Athens for two nights. The first impression was fine, as the location of the hotel was really excellent and the welcome from the front desk was very friendly. as soon as I stepped in the room, I was a bit disappointed. The furniture was fine but the size of the room was really small. They also must change the curtains as they are not thick enough as a result the room when there are is light outside it does not get dark. I called the reception and ask if they have a bigger room and I will pay for any extra cost and she told me they were overbooked but there will be some rooms available the next day and they will be more than happy to help me out. Indeed the next day around noon I went to the reception and asked whether there was an empty room. He told me there was but it is a room with two single beds. I took it. It was indeed much better and roomier. The furniture were not that modern though and the toilet looked a bit dated while the tiny room had a nice modern toilet. The downside of the room was again the curtains were not thick enough and there was a smell coming out from the bathtub.
The breakfast was poor but for the price I got, I can not really complain. By the time the hotel staff is friendly and helpful, you can forget the rest.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed in Amazon hotel for 1 night. Our friends stayed in Achilleas hotel nearby for a similar price but their hotel was definitely better (bigger room with a balcony, bigger lobby). We didn't check elevators in Achilleas but in Amazon the levator is quite tiny, 3-4 people can hardly fit in.
Comparing these two hotels I suggest Achilleas. An unrelated note: one day is more than enough for Athens.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is an average hotel but it was worth it for the price. Rooms are very standard. I think some were redone but ours wasn't. It's not like we spent any time in our room anyways. It's a very convienent location which is a plus. Just a few blocks to the train station, and a few blocks the other way is plaka. Breakfast was pretty good here. If your staying in Athens for just a couple days I can recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed in Athens for 3 nights at the Amazon. This was our second honeymoon and I wanted something special. Well special it was. We got the best room in the hotel. Room 700 is a suite with the view of the Acropolis. We arrived at night, and this was our first time in Greece. We walked inside our suite which was amazing, but better still we could see the Acropolis lit up with lights from our lounge room. We also had our own balcony and when we went outside to see the Pathanon, it was just breathtaking. It was unreal, and Amnazon is so close to everything in Athens. Will only stay there again if we can ever do it again. Breakfast too was good.

Room Tip: Room 700. Top floor