“A Great Stay”

Ranked #28 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Stuart, Florida
“A Great Stay”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel after spending a week on a Regent Seven Seas cruise, so we were used to being in a luxury environment. This hotel stood up to scrutiny! The room was quite large and well appointed. Once we determined that we had to put the room key into the wall control to turn on the AC, it worked fine. The bed was a California King and the room was extremely quiet. We had their breakfast buffet each morning, which had everything one could want in a breakfast..from omelets to Greek pastries. The hotel also has a very convenient shuttle bus which takes their guests to the Plaka square. The driver will also let you off closer to the entrance of the Parthenon without a problem...but will only pick up passengers to return to the hotel from the Plaka, The weather while we were there was spectacular, so one evening we went to the roof top bar to have a cocktail and watch the sun set. Beautiful. The hotel and rooftop bar have a fantastic view of the distant Parthenon and it was delightful to sit and watch the sun set while the lights came on at the Parthenon. All-in-all, a delightful two night stay. We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of the Parthenon, just ask the hotel for it. Lovely.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens after disembarking from your cruise earlier this month. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it is always a pleasure to hear from guests whose expectations were met. We are happy to learn that the comfort of our rooms and the wide selection of breakfast items served at Cafézoe met with your expectations. In addition, we have noted that the convenience of our complimentary shuttle bus service to Syntagma square contributed to your enjoying our city as did the wonderful view of the Parthenon from our Premiere rooftop bar and restaurant. Once again, thank you for your feedback and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Spent 2 days here and had a wonderful stay. The breakfast buffet was extensive and had everything one could ever want. The hotel was very clean, modern and staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is a short taxi ride from Plaka or on the hotel shuttle. I found it easy to get around and see all the sites without any difficulty. The hotel bar on the roof is amazing, go up for a drink in the evening to take in the beautiful views of the acropolis and city. Absolutely a great hotel

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens and for your recommendation. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the high level of service from our staff. We have also noted that the extensive breakfast choices available at our Café Zoe met with your expectations and that you enjoyed our Premiere rooftop bar with its breathtaking views of the Acropolis and the Athenian skyline. Once again, we would like to thank you for sharing your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Athens and the Athenaeum InterContinental.
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I've stayed at the Intercontinental some years ago and my impression was very good. So, I decided to give it a try once more for one night, despite my tendency to try different hotels each time I visit Athens.

At first, the location is not as bad as some other trip advisor members claim. Yes, it's a bit away from the city centre, but there's a shuttle service and, of course, the tram stop is just a few metres away. What is more, the area may be indifferent, but it's not unsafe at all. Just a dull area, next to a big avenue, with many office buildings and some social housing on the narrower streets next to the hotel.

When one enters the hotel, faces a huge, very tastefully decorated lobby area. The reception clerks seem to be very professional, as should be at a hotel of this class. What is more, I was impressed by the fact that they were very friendly as well, as it's not usually the case at a place with about 500 rooms. During check in, I was informed that as a Priority Club member, I could have a free newspaper and extend my stay untill 2 pm, without any charge.

The standard room where I stayed was a bit outdated. The furniture seemed to be a bit old but its condition was very good, without any damages at all. So, I can't complain at all about this. Its size had nothing to do with that of most hotel rooms in Greece and in Europe, even at such upscale premises: it was huge, with a nice sitting area next to the bed, which would be very useful for those who stay many days. What is more, the king size bed had the most comfortable mattress I've ever tried. The bathroom was large, clean and offered a wide range of toiletries.

As I was staying for only one night, I didn't have any meal at the hotel. But as far as I remember from my previous experience, it's very good, although very pricy (well, it seems to be the norm at all hotels). What is more, I didn't try any of the numerous public facilities of the hotel, so I can't comment about them.

Finally, I consider a big plus the phone call they made to welcome me at the hotel and ask whether I needed anything. Such small gestures show a personalized level of service, which is not very common, especially at large hotels.

Will I stay there again ? Probably yes. Will I recommend others to chose the Intercontinental ? Sure! It's worth spending a few more euros during your trip in Athens in order to stay there!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lgts
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental during your visit to Athens this month and for taking the time to share your kind comments. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and it is always a pleasure to hear from guests whose expectations were met. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and high level of service and would like to thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I am a regular to Athens and have stayed at this hotel once before. I was surprised at how the area has gone down hill since my last stay (empty buildings without windows and graffiti everywhere) as well as the lack of upkeep of the rooms within the hotel.
I booked a family room and what I received was a conference room with two beds (which had been rolled inside), a bathroom, and a sitting area. There were cabinets all over the room holding chairs and tables inside of them. The room was supposed to be non-smoking but the entire hall reaked of smoke that seeped into the "conference room". There was no free wifi and the movie rental charges were €18 euro. The food was quite expensive as well. The continental breakfast was €25 euro and the buffet was €40 euro. Our bathroom toilet leaked every time you flushed all over the floor (no repair).
The Positives:
Free shuttle to Syntagma Square. Their pillows are nice. The pool is lovely. The spa is lovely. The lobby is luxurious. Late check out for Priority Club Members. Friendly staff.

I suppose this is nice for convention people and business people who need to be In that area of town but for families...well, I don't think they did the best job this time.

Room Tip: Don't request a "Family Room". Try a Junior Suite instead!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Reader,
Thank you for, once again, choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent trip to Athens with your family. While we aim to offer the highest level of service and facilities to our guests, it seems that we fell short of offering you an experience in keeping with your expectations. We have noted your comments and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced, in particular, due to the leaking toilet in your bathroom. Please rest assured that this lapse in service on our part will be addressed with the staff concerned in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.
John O'Groats, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Oh I was looking forward to the quarter bottle of Champagne in the mini-bar! But the minibar is now much reduced.

Anyway. the first room that the gave me was some sort of family room. And everytime the lift doors opened the room door would rattle. I was in the room about 2 minutes before I phoned reception and asked for another room.

And they moved me to a quiet room. I was happy. they were happy. It was lower down so I didn't have the view of the Acropolis and the traffic noise meant that the balcony could not really be used but I didn't mind.

The staff is good; the room service is good; location is good; pool is good all-in-all I quite like this hotel. It is usually pretty crowded, though.

Room Tip: The higher the better. better views and, if you have a balcony, less traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for having chosen the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visits to Athens and for your recommendation. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that it met with your expectations. Once again allow us to express our appreciation for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.