“Chic indeed!”
Review of Chic Hotel

Chic Hotel
Ranked #31 of 54 Athens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This hotel is located in the Omonia neighborhood of Greece, which if you have done any research on the area know by now it is not great. But this hotel is a little gem in the middle of the chaos of the area. The neighborhood itself is a rough area- shady characters and scenes if you are by yourself walking around but in a group it is acceptable. We had 8 of us and we felt safe enough.

The hotel is chic. It is clean and modern with nice touches I haven't seen before in a hotel with such an affordable price. The room was relatively quiet which relieved me after we stayed in another hotel the week before which was unbelievably loud! We had a balcony on our room and besides the occasional really loud truck, it gave us a peaceful nights sleep. Also, unlike most hotels we stayed in while traveling in Greece, the beds were super soft and comfortable. It was like heaven after a week of sleeping on rocks! The room had tons of light which I love and the AC worked wonderfully. The bathroom was nice a sleek but odd because there wasn't really anywhere to hang your towels or place your toiletries. But all in all nice. They also served a breakfast which was pretty decent and the front desk staff was very helpful and even gave us a map to help us find what we were looking for.

My only complaint and the complaint of everyone in our group is outside the windows are neon lights which provide a nice look for the outside but makes it pretty bright in our room at night! There are shutters you can close but they don't block out all the light. We were able to make ours bearable but our friends who did not have a balcony had a hard time sleeping with it (the light on ours was on the ground and theirs was at eye level when sleeping).

If this hotel wasn't in Omonia, it might have gotten 5 stars.

Room Tip: I guess based on our experience, get a balcony to avoid that light at eye level or an inside room if...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 123travelista
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We loved our stay at Chic Hotel. We couldn't have been happier with the clean, streamlined room, decorated very simply, the extremely helpful staff, which gave us great recommendations for restaurants, and the great continental breakfast spread. There has been a lot of talk on here about the hotel's neighborhood, and it's good to know that the area is a little gritty (as is most of Athens), but we walked to our hotel late at night more than once and had no weird encounters or problems. If you want a great value in Athens, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kitkat28876
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Stayed in this hotel in September 2011. I was travelling alone so I booked a single room. The room was compact but not too cramped. On first impressions the hotel and rooms look great however, the fixtures and fittings are no better that one would find in a modern Holiday Inn express. The matress was very comfortable but spoiled by the waterproof matress cover. Which although it had a fleece cover I could still feel the crinckle of the waterproof fabric.
The only other piece of furniture in the roon was a very slim wardrobe which was about the width of a filing cabinet. It did have a full legnth mirror which was a plus. 2 triangles of glass fixed to the cornes served as bedside shelves and a larger piece served as a desk with a chair underneath. A small fridge was plonked on the floor next to the cupboard. Completely out of character with the rest of the room.
There was a flat screen TV on the wall and another mirror. No artwork whatsoever. The bathroom was very well done with little bottles of shampoo and shower gel. No tissues, cotton wool or Q tips. Then rooms upon closer inspection need a good clean, the dust and glass marks on my bedside shelf were there when I arrived and still there when I left.
There was nowhere in the hotel to get beverages. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room. So if you wanted to get a hot drink at night you had to go out and face the gangs of junkies and prostitutes and other undesrirables that surrounded the hotel in every direction. These people seemed to possess no threat however and I was never seriously hassled except to be offered drugs or sex. A polite, firm "No thank you!" and they moved on.
I was told that breakfast at the hotel was until 10.30. But found to my dismay that once it was gone. It was gone. I arrived one morning at 9.45 to find 3 pieces of bread left some fruit, yoghurts and not much else. The couple that arrived with me were informed they could have toast and that was it! So make sure you're up early.
The hotel is within 10 minutes walk to all the main tourist sites and restaurants, The staff are very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are OK. The location is a bit scary but once you're used to it, it's fine. All in all with a few little tweaks it could be a great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The hotel itself is very good and I would recommend it under normal circumstances--nice, newly renovated rooms, very friendly service and very reasonable prices. Nice comfy beds (maybe too soft), modern decor and sleek! (Though it would be good to add some more closet or drawer space!)

Athens is one of the most amazing cities and since 2002 has really seen a new renaissance, but, unfortunately, the current situation in Athens really hurts this hotel--the neighborhood has become far too sordid--by day, the area is tolerable, but by night, prostitutes line one of the backstreets near the hotel and a crowd of drug users fill another--on our way back from a tavern, we saw a woman shooting heroine into her arm in view of everyone!! No one threatened us, but people certainly eyed my camera and a couple of homeless emigrants aggressively asked for euros. I wouldn't recommend the area to women travelers or non-city dwellers.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hotel itself is very clean. The rooms are small but comfortable.
The staff at the hotel are very helpfull. You recieve a map of the city and directions to whereever you want to go upon arrival.

The hotel is very close to all the main sights and shops also train and bus stations. However the surrouding area is very dangerous and seedy. My friend and I were sort of aware of this but did not think too much of it. However once we arrived we were horrified. It is very scary and dangerous. Do take this very serious even if you are male or travelling with a male companion.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends