“What a Disappointment!!”
Review of Antiqvvm

Antiqvvm
Ranked #10 of 59 Nightlife in Porto
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the finest locations for sampling ports, Solar Vinho do Porto, is an 18th-century villa.
Reviewed 7 December 2015

Over the years we have made many trips to what was the "Solar Vinho do Porto". It boasted an impressive collection of port wines, literally hundreds. The staff were genteel, knowledgeable and warm; the views from the balcony garden, breathtaking. Through those visits we developed a love of ports and appreciation for whites, tawnys, rubys, LBVs and vintages. There is a whole port world out there . . .

Before going in this last time we had heard it had changed hands and was unfortunately a shadow of its formal glory. We couldn't believe it, but it was true! Although the new owner had definitely invested in refurbishing the restaurant and patio areas, almost everything else about the experience was a miss. The port menu was good, but not exceptional. It didn't have the breadth or depth it used to have; additionally what they did feature was likely available at other fine restaurants for much less. What was really odd about the place though was the staff. There were two men working the front of the house during our visit, the bartender and older GM(?). Both tried to appear stuffy and "high brow" and clearly weren't. It was pretty comical. When I asked the bartender about the advertised house cocktail specialties, he said he had "five creations, but couldn't possibly make more than two kinds in one day". It went downhill from there . . . The drinks were good (although not great for 12 Euro each) and the view is still spectacular from the patio. As we were leaving, the GM(?) said in his best, affected Dean Martin voice, "buh-bye", Bizarre!

We were there about an hour and left around 8 PM. The place was empty. If our evening was any indicator, I doubt it will survive more than a year or two. They say you can never go back, but we're hoping the next venture here will be more successful and that we just might recapture some of those wonderful memories.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for Antiqvvm

Reviewed 9 October 2015 via mobile

Place full of history and beautiful view.
A new restaurant/wine house open in this place brought to me a welcome feel like.
Nice clean and relax place to visit and in mean wile drink something with a magnified view

Reviewed 4 May 2015

Porto is a lovely city, for me was much kinder as Lisboa. The bridges, the city and everything are really attractive and amazing.

Reviewed 25 February 2015

If you expect overwhelming attention then don't go there. You can drink port wine in fancy hotels also. If you are in learning and you do not have an attitude problem, then this is your place. I was there probably 5 years ago and i still remember it like yesterday. Place was quite empty (probably there are lots of better places to feel like king and there are lots of cheaper bars), but still romantic. All this view to the Gaia and all. When I went there I did not knew much about port wine. And I was honest - told the waiter like things are. So we discussed shortly about my preferences and waiter suggested me a wine I still like. My date got good suggestion also. And this is the point I should say that menu is like a few tens of pages of port wines costing few different orders of magnitude. If you do not know about ports, then you can learn there. Or if you want a glass of expensive wine without need to buy a bottle. Otherwise there were so much beautiful and cheap and emotional and [you name it] places more to go.

1  Thank RaitOrRong
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The waiters are harsh, not very helpful and not very friendly.

We went because it was on the tour route we had chosen and wanted to try port. We couldn't find anywhere else. Recommend somewhere else if you find a place but if not go here and be prepared to be served with a frown. But hey! Your not going for the service your going for the port!

1  Thank donnamarieore